Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

700 action Login/Join 

posted
Im looking to put a undesignated 700 action in a chassis stock. Action is coming from PTG. Will the 4473 form make it a handgun or do I have to do something else.

Thanks. J

Posts: 525 | Location: Illinois  | Registered: September 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It should be run as receiver on the 4473. Just ask the FFL how it is logged.

--------------------------------------------------
Southern Arizona FFL/SOT
quiettimesports@gmail.com

Posts: 546 | Location: SoAZ and SoIN | Registered: February 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I just got off phone with the ATF, they stated that if i have a gunsmith build it. That the gunsmith would have to have a manufacturer license. He (the gunsmith) would then register it has a handgun. If I have a gunsmith help me build it, then I can never sell it.

J

Posts: 525 | Location: Illinois  | Registered: September 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
You just need to own it before you take it to the gunsmith.

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
The action would be sold as an action to you from where ever you got it.

You would go to the gunsmith and they would do work at your request....

Does not meet the definition of manufacturing per the atf that way.

If the gunsmith purchased the action and built it for re sale then that would be manufacturing.

This can be found on their website. If you call you will get a different opinion from each person you talk to. If you write a letter you will get an actual legal interpretation.

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4570 hunter:
I just got off phone with the ATF, they stated that if i have a gunsmith build it. That the gunsmith would have to have a manufacturer license. He (the gunsmith) would then register it has a handgun. If I have a gunsmith help me build it, then I can never sell it.

J
laugh You got a good one, NOT!

As Chris already stated, it should be logged as a receiver when you pick it up at your dealer. The designation doesn't change just because a dealer makes it incorrectly, as a pistol or rifle, on a 4473. The determination is "how its first configured". You build it as a pistol, then its a pistol. If you convert from a pistol to a rifle, then it'll be a rifle from that point on.

As to selling it, you can do whatever you want with it once your done with it. Whoever you talked to is not stating the law/regulation. If you start building and selling to make money, without an ffl, then they'll have issue with you but if your building it for your personal use, there's nothing they can say about it...

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19881 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks , that helps

J