Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MOA Rebarrel Login/Join 

Picture of Left Hand Dave
posted
I am looking at rebarreling my 7BR MOA to a 6 Dasher but don't know where to start on the barrel contour I would appreciate input from anyone that has had one rebarreled.

Posts: 452 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
Please inform us your intentions for the new use for the pistol that will help determine a good contour.

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The new caliber will be 6mm Dasher and I will use it for groundhog hunting and some informal steel shooting. The plan is to go with a 1-8 twist so I can shoot heavier bullets if I want to. I don't want a full bull but I don't know what I can use that will work with one of the bench rest forearms if I can find one for it. So, I don't know if I need to get the factory contour copied or there is something else that will work or work better.

Dave

Posts: 452 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
Good cartridge if you can find the brass. 6x47 lapua or 6 Creedmore would also be good choices. As for twist rates, check jbm stability programs for twist rate. I would stay with a 7.5 twist especially with your low altitude. Berger 105 hybrids and probably the Sierra 110 match kings will not work with a 8 twist.

By the way, do you go to Rayners?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old leghumper,

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My buddy and me have wanted to but never made it there. It's on the list for this summer. We have even talked about taking a vacation day and going down during the week.

I think one of my buddy's pistols in 6X47 Lapua is a 1-8 twist and shoots the 105s ok I think it was the Hybrids. What have you seen with the 1-8 and the Hybrids?

Dave

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
1-8 will do great to 105

Over that you may want a 1-7.5

Posts: 4020 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Left Hand Dave:
My buddy and me have wanted to but never made it there. It's on the list for this summer. We have even talked about taking a vacation day and going down during the week.

I think one of my buddy's pistols in 6X47 Lapua is a 1-8 twist and shoots the 105s ok I think it was the Hybrids. What have you seen with the 1-8 and the Hybrids?

Dave

8 twist and the hybrids IS a NO go in low altitudes. Been there and failed. AS I stated above use a bullet stability program(JBM or Berger)

----------------------
I am that idiot.

Picture of captain John
posted Hide Post
I built a Rampro 6 Dasher two years ago. Used a krieger 1 in 8 full bull barrel on this single shot bolt gun. Shot full size silhouette targets out to 500 meters with VLD 105’s and both Sierra 107 and 110’s. Amazing shooting gun !

IHMSA Industry Director
IHMSA Region 5 Director
Minnesota State IHMSA Director
IHMSA 39199Life
NRA life Member

Posts: 418 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
All I've ever used is 8T barrels with 105's. Sorry you had bad luck with them but they worked for me. And at low elevations. Like just above sea level. In fact close enough to see the ocean

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, when Berger brought out the hybrids, they recommended the 8 twist and I bought the barrel appropriatly - consistenty shot sub 3/8" groups at one hundred yards. Then Berger changed to a faster twist need.

At Rayners FEB 2017 in 40° weather, the hybrids were missing targets by ten yards plus at anything over five hundred yards. WTF? Rechecked Bergers stability chart and whoa did things change. Faster twist needed. End of the hybrids, welcome VLD targets and no more problems.

If anyone is listening: CHECK A STABILITY PROGRAM FOR TWIST RATE FOR THE BULLET YOU INTEND TO USE!

This was at 900 feet elevation with my 15" 6x47 lapua MOA.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old leghumper,

----------------------
I am that idiot.

posted Hide Post
They changed the twist requirements based on Litz's research into loss of BC. I do agree if you want to shoot any of the 110+ bullets you need faster. I've shot some amazing 600 yard groups with 115 DTAC's in a bartein 8t barrel.

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I know this thread is a bit old, but does anyone have a recommendation about who could build and headspace a barrel for my MOA. I would like something in 6.5 for mule deer hunting and targets.

Thanks!

bluquail

Posts: 2 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
We do it

Posts: 4020 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluquail:
I know this thread is a bit old, but does anyone have a recommendation about who could build and headspace a barrel for my MOA. I would like something in 6.5 for mule deer hunting and targets.

Thanks!

email me. addy in profile

----------------------
I am that idiot.