Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rebarrel a E A Brown (BF) pistol Login/Join 

Picture of brian kinne
posted
Can anyone recommend a smith who can rebarrel a BF pistol to include making a new extractor if needed. Thanks.

Posts: 308 | Location: camden ny | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Knife Handler
posted Hide Post
I can't believe I'm going to do this, but have you tried EA Brown? laugh

I asked him aabout a rebarrel with someone else's barrel. I was told that they would do it for $350 plus the barrel you want. What caliber are you looking to replace? I had a 7US go bad on me.

Val

NRA Life Member
IHMSA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

Impossible is just a degree of difficulty

Posts: 641 | Location: Everywhere | Registered: July 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 6 BR
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Knife Handler:
I can't believe I'm going to do this, but have you tried EA Brown? laugh

bonk Dead Horse eek2 paperbag

------------------------------
"A gun is a tool, It's only as good, or as bad, as the man who uses it".......No taxation with crappy representation..........All politicians should serve two terms, one in office, the other in prison.......

Posts: 740 | Location: Iowa | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Otter
posted Hide Post
I asked MGM once if they could rebarrel a BF, They said yes, but the question of extracters didn't come up. 2cents

Boomer Rangers go BOOM
Sing unto him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise. (Psalm 33:3)
Age Quod Agis

" I keep these here for their aesthetic and sentimental value".....
Hattori Honzo

John Cook
aka Otter

Posts: 3373 | Location: Arkansas Ozarks | Registered: September 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
You will probably be stuck with Brown. My local custom 'smith tried to remove the barrel on my BF, but even after getting the written instructions from Brown and speaking on the phone, he said he would not do it - too complex and risky he said. So it was off to Brown......

“The 30-06 is the world's most over-rated big game cartridge" - Elmer Keith

Posts: 985 | Location: Superstition Mountains | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
quote:
You will probably be stuck with Brown. My local custom 'smith tried to remove the barrel on my BF, but even after getting the written instructions from Brown and speaking on the phone, he said he would not do it - too complex and risky he said. So it was off to Brown......

I've never owned one so I have to ask what makes it so complicated?? Is Brown hard to deal with? Just asking as I keep thinking I need an M.O.A. or a E.A. Brown to go on along with the rest of the herd.
Glenn

“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of brian kinne
posted Hide Post
I second your thoughts Glenn. Is there something about the BF barrel threading that is different than other guns?

Posts: 308 | Location: camden ny | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<i26963>
posted
I think I remember reading once where he uses a sealant, glue? on the threads. Should be simple to use a little heat to break the sealant. Not sure.
MC

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Glenn & Brian,
I think Roll Eyes Roll Eyes the actual delivery time on a new BF pistol or MOA is 12 + Mo.s
Maybe someone that deals with them will chime in.

IHMSA # 566, Time sure flys when you're having fun

Posts: 1857 | Location: Bagdad [no H] Fla | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of brian kinne
posted Hide Post
Wayne, MOA is only about 3-4 months. I have one being finished this week and may see it for Christmas. Not sure on the BF but I think the 12 months is pretty close.

** RIP **

Picture of Max Power
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tgp:
Just asking as I keep thinking I need an M.O.A. or a E.A. Brown to go on along with the rest of the herd.
Glenn

In my opinion, go with an MOA. Stronger gun, not limited to rimmed cartridges, and can handle a lot more pressure than a BF.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

flag
NRA Life Member
USAF Vet

Posts: 12872 | Location: Northern Kentucky | Registered: November 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Yotefever
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IHMSA80x80:
In my opinion, go with an MOA. Stronger gun, not limited to rimmed cartridges, and can handle a lot more pressure than a BF.

+1 and they have an excellent trigger too. Big Grin

Posts: 3164 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Otter
posted Hide Post
I wish Rich still made the 17 degree grip model MOA, the single action grip is a bit bulky....I aggree the MOA is a better design,plus you can easily switch barrels. I sure do like the way my BF handles though 2cents If you care to stay with rimmed cartridges in the same pressure catagory as the contender the BF is a nice pistol.

Now I wish we had the full details about what makes a BF rebarrel so complicated Confused

Merry Christmas

Otter

Boomer Rangers go BOOM
Sing unto him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise. (Psalm 33:3)
Age Quod Agis

" I keep these here for their aesthetic and sentimental value".....
Hattori Honzo

John Cook
aka Otter

Posts: 3373 | Location: Arkansas Ozarks | Registered: September 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of brian kinne
posted Hide Post
Still looking. Must be someone who has been there, done that. Brian.

Picture of 6 BR
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I made a lot of inquiries on mine, and then finally sold it. I had excuses from "they won't sell a extractor" to "action is weak, with a glued on barrel and don't want to warp action" That was all I ever got, with no lack of trying......good luck to you.......Mike

"A gun is a tool, It's only as good, or as bad, as the man who uses it".......No taxation with crappy representation..........All politicians should serve two terms, one in office, the other in prison.......

Posts: 740 | Location: Iowa | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of rubbercrutch
posted Hide Post
I don't know if there is anyone out there now who will or can remove the barrel of a BF Falling block but I know The late Tony Barnes did a great job of barrel swapping on mine in 1994. He didn't send it to E.A. either. bolt

Posts: 145 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: April 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of brian kinne
posted Hide Post
Thanks RUBBERCRUTCH. At least I know it can be rebarreled by other than EABCO. Need to find a good smith who will take it on. OTTER said MGM may be abel to do it, I will call them today.

<Hammer47>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by LoneStar:

Surely you jest!......... Remove the extractor and heat the action so the glue releases and it's off. What could be easier? Threading and rechamber or just making a new bbl is sure no trick either.

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surely you jest!......... Remove the extractor and heat the action so the glue releases and it's off. What could be easier? Threading and rechamber or just making a new bbl is sure no trick either.

Busted - okay, I made it all up just like I make up everything in all my posts! Never ever believe anything I post, ever ever! Roll Eyes

If it were that easy then there would be plenty of 'smiths who would do the work. It is not as easy as "heat and beat". At least part of the problem is the internal action parts, assembly and reassembly. My 'smith is certainly competent, he knew about the use of Locktite, but he did not want to risk damaging my handgun. I'm okay with that. If it is so easy son - why don't you buy one and disassemble it yourself? laugh

“The 30-06 is the world's most over-rated big game cartridge" - Elmer Keith

Posts: 985 | Location: Superstition Mountains | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Hammer47>
posted
Have re barreled several SON and there is nothing to it. brick Not too sure it is Loctite they use but it may be. I have 2 of 'em broken down on the bench right now, one is a rimfire pistol that never shot well [only one like that I have run across] and the other is a mod 97D in 223 which is the exact same action. Chambering on the 97 is so sloppy that a fired case shows .008 expansion of the neck portion of the case. About 3 reloadings and the cases are prone to cracking, not my idea of a precision chambering job so it is being rebarrelled to a 6TCU. Don't have to change the extractor and I have a walkabout rifle to use up a passel of estate benchrest bullets that frankly just don't make the grade in my Pandas.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Hammer47>,

<i26963>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by LoneStar:
quote:

Busted - okay, I made it all up just like I make up everything in all my posts! Never ever believe anything I post, ever ever! Roll Eyes

If it were that easy then there would be plenty of 'smiths who would do the work. It is not as easy as "heat and beat". At least part of the problem is the internal action parts, assembly and reassembly. My 'smith is certainly competent, he knew about the use of Locktite, but he did not want to risk damaging my handgun. I'm okay with that. If it is so easy son - why don't you buy one and disassemble it yourself? laugh

I have a set of instructions from Eben from long ago for dis-assembly. I can email them to you if you'd like.
I've taken several apart, replaced extractors, etc. Taking apart is not hard, re-assembly can be a little tricky, but not extremely difficult.
Let me know if you want the instructions. You can email me at jmelvinc@embarqmail.com
MC

<i26963>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer47:
Have re barreled several SON and there is nothing to it. brick Not too sure it is Loctite they use but it may be. I have 2 of 'em broken down on the bench right now, one is a rimfire pistol that never shot well [only one like that I have run across] and the other is a mod 97D in 223 which is the exact same action. Chambering on the 97 is so sloppy that a fired case shows .008 expansion of the neck portion of the case. About 3 reloadings and the cases are prone to cracking, not my idea of a precision chambering job so it is being rebarrelled to a 6TCU. Don't have to change the extractor and I have a walkabout rifle to use up a passel of estate benchrest bullets that frankly just don't make the grade in my Pandas.

Gary,
What's an old fart like you doing posting on the computer at 4:03 AM??? Shouldn't you be getting your beauty sleep?? laugh
Melvin

<Hammer47>
posted
Mel..........that'll be MISTER old fart to you youngster..... laugh......and besides, I figure I am so ugly now that all the beauty sleep in the world won't make much difference. Brenda was snoring like a bear in a trap this morning so I just spent a bit of time online. It's Winter here at Tusco so that means it's time to build new toys. I am trying a Green Mountain bbl blank on the rimfire and want to see if I can get the accuracy I need from a cheapie blank. If it does not work, not too much was spent. Really don't know why I bother because I have 4 Ans Exemplars that just shoot great and they just collect dust. Since I had the hip replacement surgery in January cry creedmore is a problem so this might just turn into a bench pistol experiment.

Picture of Mntngoat
posted Hide Post
I know this an antique topic. But I asked EA brown a couple weeks ago and they are quoting 12 months to rebarrel a BF. Someone must be able to do this quicker.

ML

Posts: 108 | Location: Behind The Orange Curtain, Kalifornia | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You might check with Bullberry, worth a try.

Posts: 534 | Location: ndbbm | Registered: January 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post