Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

XP conversion .221 to 22BR Login/Join 

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted
Hey gang,
I need your help. I have an original .221 center grip XP I have the opportunity to get a 22BR barrel. Which is a gun I have wanted to build for a long time. My question is. What would be involved in making this conversion? I know I need a new stock. The barrel is a Hart heavy varmint. I want to build a mid grip.
Thanks in advance. >>>------->

Posts: 901 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You'll need a .473 casehead bolt as well.

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
You'll need a .473 casehead bolt as well.

That's pretty much it.....

Oh yeah, you'll also need lots of 22 cal bullets (my 22 BR likes nearly all 40-53 gr bullets), primers (mine shoots Rem 7 1/2), powder (mine dotes on Vihtavuori N130, but many do well also) and brass (mine uses R-P 6 BR, but I'd use Lapua 6 BR if I were you). You're gonna like this gun a lot! thumbup

Be sure the forearm of your stock is wide enough for the 22 BR barrel.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1674 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You could have the bolt face opened up and an sako or m16 extractor put in. If you don't want to keep the dogleg bolt you could pick up a new bolt from PTG and sell your 221 bolt to recoup some of the money. If you decide to sell your .221 bolt I'm interested.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I am new to the custom side of this.
rickiesrevenge you are first up if I go this route. What would I order from PTG?
Is it just a Rem 700 Bolt or do I ask for an xp bolt with a .473 face?
Like I said. Just learning but eager to do so.
Gary. I really want to get started with one. I love my 6mm BR

Posts: 901 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the XP bolts they offer. You can also get the firing pin assy (pin shroud spring) from PTG.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com...100-xr-100-600-bolts

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1585 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you're gonna order a bolt I'd get one made for a m7 or xp100. I'd get one with a small firing pin hole too. If you get the small firing pin hole you'll need to turn the pin or get one from PTG.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I got an XP bolt from PT&G with .062" firing pin for my BR. I also ordered the bolt with a .700" diameter and cone nose with Sako extractor which I think contributes to better accuracy. Since it's a single shot you can do that. I sold my old bolt for $150, so my new bolt and firing pin assembly wound up costing me $100. I don't think anybody can open up the bolt face and bush the bolt for that price.

Posts: 53 | Location: Arizona | Registered: May 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post