Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol stock for Model 7 Login/Join 

posted
I have a Remington Model 7 that was sold as a bare receiver. I plan on building an XP100 style pistol but have it feed from an AR15 style magazine. I already have the bottom metal and everything else to build it except the stock.

Do any of you know of a place I could buy one or a place to have one made? I do not want an aluminum chassis.

I am thinking of buying a Boyds tactical stock then cutting the butt stock off to make it a pistol.

I have made several stocks in the past but prefer to buy if possible.

Thanks

Posts: 47 | Location: E. Tennessee | Registered: May 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
That’s what this is. Stocks by Jim Rockwell. He is on this site.

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I bet Jim can inlet for the bottom metal. What bottom metal do you have?

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am going to be using PTG bottom metal. I already have the bottom metal.

I am building a switch barrel setup with 223, 300 Blackout and 256 Winchester Magnum barrels. I already have the 223 and 300BO barrels made, I just need to finish chambering them.

I am going to use 223 brass to make a rimless version of the 256 Winchester Magnum that will feed from an AR magazine. I am sure I will need a custom made chamber reamer. I should be able to use the standard 256 Winchester dies to bump the shoulder and a standard 223 die to size the body. I will probably make my own neck sizer. I am going to use a fast twist barrel so I can shoot really heavy bullets, perhaps subsonic through my silencer.

Do you have a way to contact Jim Rockwell?

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dolomite_supafly,

Posts: 47 | Location: E. Tennessee | Registered: May 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of jroc
posted Hide Post
Dolomite email me. jroc3099@yahoo.com

Posts: 121 | Location: Michigan/Montana | Registered: May 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jroc:
Dolomite email me. jroc3099@yahoo.com

Email sent, thank you for responding.

posted Hide Post
I wouldn't hesitate to use one of Jim's stocks. He's having a sale until tomorrow too I think.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Does Jim Rockwell have a website for his stocks and options?

Thanks,
Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freeze:
Does Jim Rockwell have a website for his stocks and options?

Thanks,
Freeze

Just on facebook

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Just an update.

I have ordered a stock from Jim Rockwell and I waiting on it. It will be inletted for a PTG AR bottom metal. He is a great guy, excellent communication and understanding because I have changed my mind more than a woman. The stock will be orange and black laminate. I am thinking I will use some orange candy automotive clear coat on it. And depending how the test pieces look I will probably spray it with a copper color first, sand it down before spraying with the candy clear to give it some glitter in the recesses.

I have completed two barrels that are chambered in 223 Remington and 300 Blackout. Both have their muzzles threaded for a silencer. The 223 Remington is 12" long and the 300 Blackout is 8" long. I still need to have them profiled as well as put a hex on the end so I can use a wrench to easily change barrels. I have done all the barrel work myself and will be profiling as well but on a friend's machine that has a tapering attachment. The hex will also be done at my friends shop as I do not have a mill.

The final barrel is a wildcat based on a 221 Fireball necked up to a 6mm. I am using a standard 221 Fireball die and will use a carbide reamer to open the neck up so it will be the correct size for a 6mm bullet without using an expander ball, almost like how an M die works. But I also have an expander for a 6mm I might use if I need to.

And as long as I use a barrel with the correct twist I need I will be able to shoot from 55 grain to ~105 grain bullet. It will be 10" long and will also be threaded for a silencer. It is basically a 6x35 KAC (Knights Armament Corp) which is vaporware right now except in certain government hands. It, like the 300 Blackout, is optimized for shorter barrels so it should work great in this.

I have a 20 MOA rail from EGW but I have not decided on an optic as of yet. I plan on using it to shoot steel out to 500 yards though. I am going to start looking around for a scope with a decent eye box.

I have installed a Trigger Tech Diamond trigger to replace the warmed over factory Remington trigger. I am a trigger snob and for decades I did not own triggers, the Remington trigger was around 2 pounds. But Trigger Tech triggers are on whole different level. they break as clean as any trigger I have ever pulled and the Diamonds are adjustable down to ounces. I bought one for a different gun and was so amazed by them I decided to get another for this pistol.

I will post pictures up as soon as I get done with the stock.

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
Your project sounds super cool, can’t wait to see some pics of it.

You are right on the trigger tech triggers, they are simply a work of art!

Chris

Posts: 695 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post

I got the stock in a few days ago. I have pillars made but still need to glue them in as well as bed the action itself.

That is the 223 Remington barrel.

It is a little magazine finicky but metal magazines seem to work 100% so far.

Picture of xp-100
posted Hide Post
The model 7 is the same as an xp-100R

NRA Endowment Member
IHMSA Life Member
NBRSA Member
semi-retired gunsmith
IHMSA PC Coordinator

Posts: 815 | Location: north alabama | Registered: August 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Glad you found a stock and have your project in the works.
Just an FYI. I know Emma Creek is working on XP center and rear grip hard wood stocks as well as Savage center grip. I will have a rear grip model 7 actioned pistol stock soon. I will post pics when it arrives.
It's nice to finally have options!
Derek >>>------->

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arrowflinger:
Glad you found a stock and have your project in the works.
Just an FYI. I know Emma Creek is working on XP center and rear grip hard wood stocks as well as Savage center grip. I will have a rear grip model 7 actioned pistol stock soon. I will post pics when it arrives.
It's nice to finally have options!
Derek >>>------->

You will cry working with the Emma creek.

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Please elaborate Chris.
Derek

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arrowflinger:
Please elaborate Chris.
Derek

They will claim it’s 90% finished.

I think they are about like a 90% section of firewood.

Inspect for errors closely before you do anything.

posted Hide Post
When Emma Creek says "semi inlet" or "requires minor finishing" what they really mean is they carved it and inlet it with a rusty broken axe. They need a TON of work

Posts: 202 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Wow!
OK Thanks guys.

Picture of jroc
posted Hide Post
Derek I make stocks every day of the week if your interested. spstocksandgrips.com I made this stock for Gordon. I also have some walnut as well as the laminates. Jim Rockwell

Posts: 121 | Location: Michigan/Montana | Registered: May 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post