Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Bolt Action, Falling Block & Rotary Breech Pistols    Rem700 Mannlicher Specialty Pistol - SHE'S A SHOOTER!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem700 Mannlicher Specialty Pistol - SHE'S A SHOOTER! Login/Join 

Picture of TXBRASS
posted
My Remington 700 Specialty Pistol build (Cyclops) was a fun build but was way too light for my liking. I've become accustomed to my "Ulga" XP100-R in the 7finger Gen1 chassis and the weight it provided.
After shooting both side by side, I realized I just like the heavier platform better and decided to make a change and add some weight to the 700 SP. I went with a Choate Ultimate Varmint stock and cut it down to a pistol grip and mannlicher length forend. I filled the grip with copper coated bb's mixed with devcon for added weight. Still have some work to do, and some Cerakote finish work, but she will be MUCH heavier and somewhat unique.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TXBRASS,

CW
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!

www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -

Posts: 1227 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Another interesting project Cody, we'll be waiting to see your progress. Those Choate stocks are built like tanks, they should be able to withstand rolling around on the ground in the cactus & sage at Ernies without worry. I'm worried about weight on mine. I need to stay under 12# for the Hunter class at Sundance, I think its going to be nip & tuck. If you wouldn't mind let us know what some of the pieces weigh while things are apart during this build.

Thanks
Jon

Posts: 1600 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Dad-Gum copycat!! LOL!

Looks awful familiar.......

I did the same thing in the grip. Used epoxy and lead shot tho. Puts quite a bit of extra weight in the grip.

They are plum ugly but grow on ya don't they Cody!

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Iowa Fox,

When I had this barreled action in the MDT chassis total rig weight with bipod and loaded mag was 10 pounds.
This rig should be quite a bit heavier once she is done.

CW

www.codyweiser.com

Posts: 1227 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Da-Law,

What can I say.....YOU INSPIRED ME!!!

CW

www.codyweiser.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXBRASS:
Da-Law,

What can I say.....YOU INSPIRED ME!!!

LOL! No worries, just giving you grief!

How much did you wind up cutting off the snout?

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
About 3"

CW

www.codyweiser.com

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
I also flipped the bipod adapter around to set the bipod a few more inches to the rear. I hated the hand tighten rail screw, so i ended up removing that and drilling 4 holes thru the bipod rail that went thru the stock and into the bedding block. I then used 1/4 bolts that I cut off at an inch long and devcon to permanently pin the rain in place. One solid piece now and no movement at all!

CW

www.codyweiser.com

posted Hide Post
I drilled and tapped a 10-32 sling stud straight into the internal block. Same on mine, rock solid.

posted Hide Post
Cody,
Looking good!
That explains why you have arms like a gorilla! Carrying all those heavy guns around! Big Grin
Let us know how she shoots for you.

-Mike

Posts: 2291 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hope your not too attached to the paint at the end of that stock. The brake will burn it off. Ask me how I know....

Aaron

Posts: 2752 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Another really cool build Cody. Can't wait to see range results.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a Choate Savage and its every bit of 11# all up.

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Whatcha think? ? ?

CW

www.codyweiser.com

posted Hide Post
Cody,
Looks great!
Now it's time to take it out and bloody it thumbup

Nice job buddy,

-Mike

Posts: 2291 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Cody, that is really nice! You do nice work - I'm not sure which one I like better, Cyclops or this one. I'm looking forward to a range report and to hear if the heavier stock meets your expectation.

-------------------
Kraig

Posts: 135 | Location: Alabama | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Here is some more info on using Choate stocks,
that have been very reliable, accurate/tough,
first one is a 284 Win and the second one is a 280AI,
waiting to be assembled/tested etc, now that I recieved my PTG reamer and hunting season is over. Sad
see info here:
http://specialtypistols.infopo...6004005/m/4410087466

HTH,

Tia,
Don

--------------------------------
"Any person that fears me owning a firearm, then I have reason to fear that person"
NRA Life Member
Sturm/Ruger Armours School-State of Nevada POST-Remington/ S&W Armour Schools-NRA Certified Range Master-State of Nevada POST Range Master-Jaycor Certified Pepperball Instructor-OC Pepper Spray Instructor-Tazer Instructor-NRA Law Enforcement Armours School-Lassen College LE Armours School-NRA Police Firearms Instructor Development School
Nam "Oct 67-Dec 68"
173rd ABN 2/503rd "Recon"
Retired 10/01/2009, 36+yrs

Posts: 1239 | Location: Western NV | Registered: August 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Don,
Your black Choate Varmint stock in your pic must be an older one than mine. Mine has the cross bolt for a swivel in the forearm like Cody's. I wish it didn't but it does.

Posts: 1600 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Iowa Fox

This Choate stock was the sniper model,
when they first brought them out,(1980 yr model,IIRR)
and I rebarreled the SA to the 284 case,
I also have a Win LA, Choate stock,
that is being rebarreled into the 280AI build, along the same design.

I just cut it off behind the pistol grip,
and left the long forearm on it,
until I finish deciding on which way I will go,
after testing with a good solid field shooting rest for hunting,
I am now building etc.

I can vouch for the toughness,
as I have taken several side hill tumbles,
that left me bruised and bleeding,
and it shot just the same as before. LoL

IMHO,
I prefer the longer forearm, as I seem to get better LR accuracy,
as compared to the shorter forearm model, that I also have.
I can always cut it off, but not add it back. Big Grin

HTH,

Tia,
Don

"Any person that fears me owning a firearm, then I have reason to fear that person"
NRA Life Member
Sturm/Ruger Armours School-State of Nevada POST-Remington/ S&W Armour Schools-NRA Certified Range Master-State of Nevada POST Range Master-Jaycor Certified Pepperball Instructor-OC Pepper Spray Instructor-Tazer Instructor-NRA Law Enforcement Armours School-Lassen College LE Armours School-NRA Police Firearms Instructor Development School
Nam "Oct 67-Dec 68"
173rd ABN 2/503rd "Recon"
Retired 10/01/2009, 36+yrs

Posts: 1239 | Location: Western NV | Registered: August 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Now you've made me want to take mine apart and repaint it all camo.

That is if someone does not buy it first. We'll see.

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerer:
I have a Choate Savage and its every bit of 11# all up.

Larry
Tinkerer

Larry, Was that 11 Lbs+ using a Striker frame?

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
She's a SHOOTER!

After some trouble shooting (THANKS MIKE) it was descovered that she's not too fon of the CorBon ammo, but LOVES Winchester 168gr MATCH.... Left target is 1/2" MOA group then dialed elevation an did the 3 shots. VERY HAPPY!

CW

www.codyweiser.com

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
That will work. thumbup What kind of velocities are you getting out of the 13" tube?

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1585 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Haven't chrono'd her yet.....

CW

www.codyweiser.com

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Good Shooting Cody!

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12174 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice shooting.

Aaron

Posts: 2752 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Cody thumbup thumbup
Time to stretch the legs out on this rig Big Grin

-Mike

posted Hide Post
Do you shoot game with those bullets?

Aaron

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
I've killed a few deer and a coyote with them in the past, but hunt with X-bullets. Have been hunting with CorBon DPX for years, but have 8 boxes of Black Hills 168 Match loaded with Barnes TSX and going to see tomorrow if she likes those. If not, will have to have some loaded to fit her particular taste.

CW

www.codyweiser.com

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Have a a decent supply of 2 other 168gr Barnes factory options I'm going to try tomorrow....

CW

www.codyweiser.com

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Check this out:

http://www.gundigest.com/tacti...tch-ammo-for-hunting

CW

www.codyweiser.com

posted Hide Post
Interesting.

Aaron

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Mike, we found her sweet load!

CW

www.codyweiser.com

posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Cody thumbup thumbup

"Hilda" is finally showing us what she can do! Big Grin
I can't wait until you bust a hog with one of the 178 A-Maxes so you can see what kind of terminal performance that bullet will give at SP .308 velocities popcorn

-Mike

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
SOON......VERY SOON!!!

CW

www.codyweiser.com

posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Cody. That looks like a fun gun to shoot. I really like the camo paint on the stock.

Posts: 21 | Location: KC, MO | Registered: November 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
I took Hilda out to the range this morning at work. Wanted to do a comparison test with her from the first group. It was 35 degrees and zero wind. Her first 3 shots of the day had me grinning from ear to ear!!! I can't ask for anymore.... Now it's time to leave the paper and see how she likes pig meat.

I gotta thank Mike (40Xmike) for all the help in getting Hilda fine tuned.... THANKS MY BROTHER!!!

CW

www.codyweiser.com

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
Nice Cody, cant ask for much more than that. I am sure the piggies won't like your loads at all unless they are really tired and looking for a dirt nap!! Big Grin

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1585 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ya can't argue with that!

posted Hide Post
Excellent shooting!

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mighty nice shooting Cody. Any side view pics of the pistol after you shortened the stock from the first photo? Thanks

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Thst is her after the cut....

Here is finished:

CW

www.codyweiser.com

posted Hide Post
Thanks Cody. That really turned out nice. I'm getting ready to take the hacksaw to the same stock. Jeremy's stock doesn't have the recess and the cross bolt swivels, mine does it looks just like yours. Judging by the pistol grip they started out as the same stock, wonder if Choate added that to their newer currant stocks? I just hope mine shoots as well as yours.

Jon

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Iowa Fox,

posted Hide Post
Nice shooting.

Aaron

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
I've owned 5 choate stocks, 2 of which I cut down for pistols. All were shooters.

They are rock solid stocks.

I did talk to a guy who is upper management at Choate this week and he said they are going to release a modular stock system at the NRA show that can be set-up with a pistol grip only. I haven't seen it, but anxious to. He said it would work great for SP'S.

CW

www.codyweiser.com

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Awesome Shooting!!!
What did that group measure center-to center?
had to be a nice one for sure.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12174 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
0.219" center to center

CW

www.codyweiser.com

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
That's awesome!!! thumbup thumbup thumbup happy

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Put her on chrono today for the first time. 178 gr Hornady Amax.... Averaging 2,370 fps... I'm very happy with that from my 13" barrel outta a 30-wait!

CW

www.codyweiser.com

posted Hide Post

Accuracy is what matters.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
^^^^ Big Grin laugh Smile

Not bad for a 30wait.... Smile

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
LMAO!!! Nice one Aaron.....

CW

www.codyweiser.com