Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

XP Build in .325 Or .338 Login/Join 

Picture of Left Hand Dave
posted
So, the dilemma at hand is I have been planning on building an XP in .325 WSM or .338 WSM and considered the .338 RCM. I have everything I need except the barrel and a reamer. I think brass for the .338 RCM is only manufactured by Hornady and harder to find then WSM brass. Plus with only one manufacturer you can run into the same issues as 450 Marlin and .405 Winchester. They quit making it and either you can’t find it or you can’t afford it. So unless I am wrong here that leaves the two WSM cartridges. It looks like the bullet selection goes in favor of the .338s but not sure if it matters given it looks like everyone uses mostly 180 and 200 grain bullets in both cartridges. I suppose you can get a little more velocity with the .338 using the same bullet weight because of the larger bore but I doubt it’s enough to make a difference. Same with the better BC of the .325 bullets. The .325 would be a SAMMI reamer and possibly better chamber/sizing die compatibility.
So is it a toss up or are there better cartridges in these calibers that I am missing? Let’s hear everyone’s experiences and opinions on this matter. I need to get this XP built I ain’t getting any younger.

Dave

Posts: 451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
No quite as potent, but certainly more efficient, the 338-284 solves the issue of quality brass availability.

Maybe someone here knows what kind of performance to expect out of that round in a pistol barrel.

Posts: 91 | Location: TX | Registered: September 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
325 WSM
I would lean towards the 325 due to a better selection of 8mm bullets. With a good selection of bullets made for the 8mm Mauser still in production, as well as bullets made for the 8mm Remington Magnum/325 WSM you cover a lot more bases. For deer the 8mm Mauser bullets should perform very well at 325 WSM Handgun velocity. For tougher game a magnum bullet might be preferred.

338 WSM
All currently made 338 bullets are made for Magnum Cartridges. With Eight or Ten Inches less barrel than a 338 WSM rifle, your handgun in 338 WSM will start bullets down range several hundred feet per second slower. My main concern would be the 338 Magnum Bullet's performance on Deer size game at slowed down handgun velocity.

If I were building an all around Handgun for Deer on up the 325 WSM would be a very good choice.

Bob R

Posts: 29 | Location: SC Missouri | Registered: December 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I've had a SSK .325 WSM XP for several years. I love it. Accurate, powerful (killed a 12' croc in Africa & a 6 1/2', 350# bear in WV) plus a 200# bear in WV at 269 yds.
SSK put a great break on it, making it a breeze to shoot. It shoots 200 gr. ABs, 180 gr. BSTs, 180Xs, 175 gr. Sierras, 200 gr Sierra HPBT Matches (great on deer), 200 gr. ETips all near each other at 100. I used all these bullets on crop damage deer this year and no complaints about the performance of any of them.
I don't know if a .338/.284 would be better, but I think .325 brass is a little easier to get than .284.
I have a .338 MagJDJ Encore. Can't tell any difference between it and my .325 other than increased recoil (both have identical brakes). I have noticed that lighter .338 bullets ( 200 gr. and less) are harder to get now. Heavier .338 bullets (more than 200 gr.) have performed much worse on deer in my handgun than lighter bullets. I have a lot of .325 bullets, but not so much .338.
Obviously, the choice is somewhat personal, but I lean heavily toward my .325 WSM.
If you're looking for something better than these two, then, it's hands down a .375/.284. I have 2 from SSK. They are noticeably more powerful & a little more accurate than my .325 & .338. I killed 37 crop damage deer with them this year. 3 deer ran 5-10 yds. The others dropped in their tracks. I only use Burris 3-12X BPlex handgun scopes on them. Never any scope trouble & I shoot them a lot. I have noticed .375 bullets are a little harder to get, but I stockpiled a lot when I saw how good this round is (AK moose, Shiras moose, 5000# hippo, leopard, over 250 deer- all one shot).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WV Hitman,

Posts: 1848 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hitman,
What bullet are you using in the 375/284?
What velocity are you getting?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chukeeee,

“Why are you axin’ me?”
-Lizzie Borden’s mother

Posts: 67 | Location: Western NY | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of straight8
posted Hide Post
I have set of dies for the 338 WSM if you decide to got that way.

------------------------------
XP's: 223, 250AI, 308 Imp, 375/350, 416 Whammy, 458X2"
Contender: 22LR, 375 JDJ, 500 HWP
Encore: 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 375 H&H, 340 WBY, 416 Taylor, 450 Alaskan, 500 Linebaugh
Semi: 45acp, 460 Rowland

Posts: 1140 | Location: "Y" City, Arkansas | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm not sure which bullet you want to use, but I finally pulled the trigger on having a .243 rebored to .338 Federal simply due to MidwayUSA running a clearance on 185gr bonded PTSP bullets. Plus, forming brass from .308 is pretty straightforward.

Hard to beat for under $20/box of 100...I've already ordered 1k (and will likely order more).

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...023840599?pid=207758

Posts: 64 | Location: Middle GA | Registered: October 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
284 Winchester brass is easy to get.
Lapua even makes 284 Winchester brass now as of 2021(They have made the 6.5-284 brass for a quite some time), as do other good brass companies.
338-300 SAUM
338-300 WSM
338-280 AI
338-300 PRC
Or any of these cartridges necked up even more.
I would prefer the 338, if there is chance of stretching things out.
Up close and personal either will work great.

LHD,
What are you wanting to do with this?
What size game?
Typical distance and what would be the max under ideal conditions?
Are you going to put a brake on it?
Center or rear grip?

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12170 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
chuckeee, My #1 bullet is 260 NAB. Also used 260 BTs, 260 NPTs, 220 Horn. Flat nose, 235 Barnes X, 250 Barnes X, 225 Horn. SP, 270 Horn. SP, 250 Sierra Game King, 260 N Solids. Several of these are not made now.
The AB gave the best performance and accuracy (1 1/2" exit and 2 1/2" internal damage on a 339 yd. deer this year). Worked great on moose.
I did not have good results with the 270 Horn. SP. Velocity has been around 2400 fps+ or - some.
Most of these bullets do very well out to 400 yds. with a 3-12X BPlex using the top of the bottom crosshair for 400 yds. They hit very close to what my .338 bullets do in the .338MagJDJ, but seem to kill with a little more authority.

Posts: 1848 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I recently built a .338 Federal XP-100 with 15" barrel. I feel that the smaller case holds enough for that barrel length with the 200 Speer that I stocked up on. I do have a lot of rcm brass for a 338 rcm rifle, but federal brass is pretty available since everything based on the .308 can be used

Posts: 23 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: October 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:
284 Winchester brass is easy to get.
Lapua even makes 284 Winchester brass now as of 2021(They have made the 6.5-284 brass for a quite some time), as do other good brass companies.
338-300 SAUM
338-300 WSM
338-280 AI
338-300 PRC
Or any of these cartridges necked up even more.
I would prefer the 338, if there is chance of stretching things out.
Up close and personal either will work great.

LHD,
What are you wanting to do with this?
What size game?
Typical distance and what would be the max under ideal conditions?
Are you going to put a brake on it?
Center or rear grip?

Well, I will probably only use it for deer and fun but you never know. When I started bow hunting I never thought I would hunt anything but deer and I have taken 11 elk with a bow so you never really know what life has in store for you. I would like something with more energy in case I ever use it for elk or moose and would just like something on the bigger end of the spectrum. I have the low end and middle covered except for things that just happen to get me curious.

The build will be a center grip. I really like the center grip and they just look cool too.

Max distance would be determined by the capability of the cartridge I have taken deer with other XP out to 500yds and feel sure I can go out farther. I just have to find the time and place to check drops and the operator along with practice.

It will defiantly have a brake and I will most likely use a rifle scope but may try both pistol and rifle since it is going to be more of a boomer.

The two biggest XPs I have are a 7 SAUM and finishing up a 45 Raptor. I do ok with recoil and shoot an unbraked .445 SM with up to 300 grain bullets.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions/help it makes the process of deciding on a build more fun.

Dave

Posts: 451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Dave, there are bigger options case capacity wise, but I don't think you will need bigger than the 300 PRC case capacity (I could be wrong though Big Grin)

For distance you might want to consider a big 30 cal or the 338...Just a thought

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12170 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
Dave, I have a 338 bbl 15" plus Redding dies, bullets, 300-400 pcs of 270 wsm brass, and one box of 325 ammo if you decide to go that route.

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 800 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hitman, thanks for the info. I’ve been using
the 235gr Barnes X at 2560fps in my MOA 375
Ruger with great results. I was just curious
if there might be a better option. I have shot
more deer with my 338rcm MOA, using the 200gr
factory load and handloads with AB’s and a
couple of different Barnes X’s. I love the way
the 338 drops em

“Why are you axin’ me?”
-Lizzie Borden’s mother

Posts: 67 | Location: Western NY | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by semperfi:
Dave, I have a 338 bbl 15" plus Redding dies, bullets, 300-400 pcs of 270 wsm brass, and one box of 325 ammo if you decide to go that route.

SemperFi

Thanks I will keep that in mind.

Dave

posted Hide Post
Ok new round of questions. I have been researching the choices above and decided on the .338-.300 WSM. Then after more research I am wondering if for elk sized game a fella might be better off with a big 7mm. Ok, out of a 16” barrel will a 7 Dakota give better performance on elk than the .338-.300 WSM? Thinking of 180 grain bullets in the 7 but don’t know if the 16” barrel will handicap it to much. This would also be in a center grip configuration.

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Dakota brass may be hard to find and dies will be more expensive.
A big 7mm or 30 is plenty fine for me for elk.
I have never had a 16" 7 Dakota, so I cannot give you numbers.

I would probably go with a 28 Nosler for the 7mm choice, since it is easier to find brass and dies for it.
It will be pleasant to shoot
A 16" 28 Nosler will perform nicely.
I am pretty sure that Randy Wise used one (15.9" barrel) for a ELR comp.

300 PRC and or 30 Nosler for 30 caliber builds.
If you want the close equivalent to the the Dakota, you could do a 7mmx300 PRC.

Personally, I am still thinking about a 16.5-17 inch 300 PRC or 30 Nosler myself Big Grin

Definitely go with a Holland Radial Baffle brake regardless of 7mm or 30 caliber.

A rifle scope gives you so many more options in my opinion, with this class of XP.

Big 7: 28 Nosler
Big 30: 300 PRC or 30 Nosler

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Left Hand Dave:
Ok new round of questions. I have been researching the choices above and decided on the .338-.300 WSM. Then after more research I am wondering if for elk sized game a fella might be better off with a big 7mm. Ok, out of a 16” barrel will a 7 Dakota give better performance on elk than the .338-.300 WSM? Thinking of 180 grain bullets in the 7 but don’t know if the 16” barrel will handicap it to much. This would also be in a center grip configuration.

The Dakota class of cartridges (including the 28 Nosler, 7mm-300 PRC, and the 7mm-300 Win Mag), is going to raise your MV's noticeably compared to a 338 WSM, which give you the ability to shoot further and still retain high impact velocities.
You will also have less wind drift with the heavy for caliber bullet in 7mm.
IF, you shoot heavy for caliber 338 bullets you will have noticeably more recoil than with the 7's, even with the best brakes.

I guess, I need to know what you mean by, "better performance?"

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
I think that answers my question. By better performance I mean longer effective range on elk sized game. I was also reading a couple of posts by Aaron where he said the 28 nosler may be a better choice due to brass and other associated costs. How far behind the two above is the 7LR? I guess what I am looking for is a round that will cleanly take elk out to 500yds out of a 16” XP.
I know Glen re-barreled his .338 WSM to 28 Nosler for longe range.

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
The 7mm LRM is slower than the 7mm Dakota...
My 20 inch 7mm LRM runs the 180 Berger's at 2895, where as my 18" Dakotas run the same bullets right at 2900 feet per second.
If you took away those two inches of barrel you would probably lose about 60-75 feet per second.
So the 7LRM is about 50-75 fps slower than the Dakota is in 18" tube.

I would figure about 30-35 fps per inch.

The 7mm LRM with a 16" barrel (not sure about brass for it now...is more than capable of 500 yard elk.
The 280AI is capable of that as well.
The bigger cartridges are going to give faster impact velocities, with less drop and drift, when considering the same bullets.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
I'd look really hard at a 30 these days. 300 Prc would likely get the nod. Good brass from several manufacturers and an assortment of bullets.

Actual hunting bullets in a 338wsm will run out of steam quicker than you'd like. My 330dak with 250 partitions is a touch over 2600fps. Killed decent blacktail buck with it in Kodiak last November at 420 something yards. Looked like it still expanded well but I'm not sure how many more yards a guy could extend that before you might have issues.

Posts: 2749 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have read about some issues with the PRC cases and the SAAMI chambers causing clickers so I wasn’t sure I wanted to use the PRC case. What .308 bullets would you be looking at using?

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Alex Wheeler wheeleraccuracy@yahoo.com
I believe Alex has some reamers that would fix any potential problems that you can get with the PRC cases, if you are concerned about that.
I know Tim King got one of those reamer for the 6.5 PRC, and it lightly gave a small clean out on my original Chambering.

FWIW I just got three boxes of Lapua 300 PRC brass in last week Big Grin

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I haven’t had an issue with the prc.

Just using a Manson Reamer.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Stay away from PTG....

For bullet it depends on what you're looking to shoot. If you're ok with berger type bullets then there are lots of 30s to pick from. 215 hybrid or 210vld would be high on that list.

If you want a traditional hunting bullet then a 200 accubond, Barnes lrx, or any one of those will work great.

Posts: 2749 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
what about maybe the old outcast like the 7mm rem mag or a 300 win mag?

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
28 Nosler is a proven elk killer WAY out. Wheeler used to build a ton of them but prefers 30 magnums now I think. I don't recall which 7mm bullet they settled on for best performance on elk at 1k yards, but it wasn't the heaviest.

You can do a 28 Nosler using Peterson brass and a bushing die, then when the barrel gives out around 1000 rounds have it rebarreled in 30-28 Nosler, neck up your brass, and swap out your bushing. The 30-28 has much better barrel life. Trim and anneal the brass and you should get pretty good life out of them.

I have a Nosler M48 rifle in 28 Nosler and for me it recoils no more than a 30-06, and I avoid belted cases when I can. Downside is magazine length, so factory ammo seats bullets WAY deep in the case. Not a concern for you, so you can go wild with seating long and throating to maximize case capacity.

For the big 7s and 30s they'll all kill about the same, so you're looking at component quality (Does lapua make brass? Peterson?), availability (do you have H1000? RL33? Enough magnum primers?), and whether or not you mind a belted case.

Posts: 91 | Location: TX | Registered: September 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post