Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 PPC USA Login/Join 

posted
I'm trying to find a 75-80 gr. bullet to load for this Sako bolt pistol I've acquired to hunt Michigan whitetail deer. The barrel is a 1:14 twist so I can't shoot a heavier bullet and the only 6mm/.243, 80 gr. bullets that I've found so far are the Hornady, 80 gr., GMX, and the
Barnes, 80 gr., TTSX. My concern with those two bullets is that because their both monolithic lead free which makes them have a longer length which in my experience needs a faster rifling twist.

I checked with Nosler and the only bullet they recommended was their 90 gr. Partition, and Speer and Burger has nothing to offer.

I understand that the 6mm PPC shot from a 14.5" barrel with a 75-80 gr. bullet will have a muzzle velocity of about 2300-2400 fps. so I'm limiting any shot at a deer to no more then 150 yards, that is if a bullet is available for what I need. I'm hoping one of you folks will know of a bullet and or load.

Just to clarify, this is not first foray into Single Shot Pistol hunting. I have in the past taken Michigan whitetail deer with a XP chambered in 7mm BR loaded with Sierra, 120 gr., SSP, a T/C Contender 14" chambered in 7mm T/CU loaded with Nosler, 140 BT, and many moons ago a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 10.5" barrel chambered in 44 Mag. on a pronhorn hunt in Wyoming, plus I have hand loaded ammo for both game and various competition for over 40 years. (Which I admit dose not make me an expert.)

Peter Resetz

Posts: 147 | Location: Lapeer, MI. | Registered: September 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That's a hard niche to fill with what you have to work with but as with any bullet if placed in the right spot will dispatch a deer but you want to do it ethically. Hopefully some of the seasoned handgun hunters will chime in with their experience. I've hunted deer for many years with handguns but nothing under 120 gr 7mm.

I have thousands of shots with a Remington 788 in 243 win. My favorite bullet in this rifle is the Hornady 85gr interbond. This was my beond 200 yard and windy day ground hog and crow rifle. Since I was prolific at varmints with this gun I would take it on deer hunts from time to time ( Rem 7mm/08 is my main deer rifle). I have taken probably 20 does over the years meat hunting are with broadside one shot quick kills.

One day while eating lunch on a fence line on a ridge top field I heard one of my hunting partners shot so I naturally turned toward the direction of the shot. After about 5 mins a nice 10 pointer walks up out of the hollow headed right towards me. As he got to within 80 yards I noticed he was gut shot so i decided to do a finishing shot. He was slightly quartered to me so I aimed for the white patch on his brisket and squeezed. At that moment him stepped and turned. I saw the bullet impact and hair fly everywhere. He bolted into the woods. We waited 30 mins then went looking for him. My partner gave up looking after an hour but I have to lose an animal so I spent 5 hours combing the woods in the dark before I gave up exhausted. The bullet hit on the shoulder and exploded without penetrating so there was no blood trail from either hit. I haven't used the 243 but a couple of times since then and only on for sure broadside heart lung shots.

Sorry for rambling on but as I stated we all have to make ethical choose when it comes to hunting.

I would try the 85 grain Sierra gameking and Nosler partition to see if yoor gun will shoot them. If not then try the 70 grain Sierra matchkings they have a thicker jacket than the varmint style bullets and may perform better.

Good luck and happy hunting. Mike

Posts: 338 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: May 19, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Check these out:

https://www.lehighdefense.com/...t/search&search=.243

I’m a huge fan of the Controlled Chaos bullets from Lehigh Defense.

CW
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!

www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -

Posts: 1227 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If that is all the speed your going to get, look at the 6TCU/6-223 bullets.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!

Posts: 3032 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a box of SSP bullets, 80 grain Sierras if you'd like to try them.

Posts: 296 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
All the copper bullets around that weight will be to long and similar to a 100 grain plus lead core.

Nosler, hornady, and Sierra all make ones that will stabilize.

Posts: 4020 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
TXBRASS;

Thanks for the heads up with Lehigh Defense 62 gr bullet. I'll have contact them about lowest velocity expansion.

It would annoying to no end if this gun would have to be relegated to just chuck and yot busting.

P.S. Thanks to the other who chimed in.

Peter Resetz

Posts: 147 | Location: Lapeer, MI. | Registered: September 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
bouddha;

6mm/.243 Sierra SSP. I was only aware Sierra's SSP' s in 120 gr. .284, and 130 gr. .308.

Thanks for the offer. I'm kinda on shoe string budget so I can pay it back with some AR parts or match prepping some brass for you.

Thanks again.

Peter Resetz

posted Hide Post
Hoggin;

I used a rifling twist calculator, and with a 1:14 twist, a 80 gr. bullet is marginal for stability. If I can't get it to group 1/4 moa of golf balls or less, I'm not intrested.

Along time ago I came up the theory of finding one load that a particular gun likes and sticking with it. Although I will amended that by telling when I used to compete in IHMSA with a T/C CONTENDER 14", 7mmT/CU in the unlimited class, I had experimented with using a Hornady 120 gr., Spire Point bullet for the chicken and pig targets, and Nosler 140 gr., BT bullet for the turkey and ram target, but ended up with just using the Nosler 140 gr. bullet for all the targets.

Thanks

Peter Resetz

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PRR1957:
Hoggin;

I used a rifling twist calculator, and with a 1:14 twist, a 80 gr. bullet is marginal for stability. If I can't get it to group 1/4 moa of golf balls or less, I'm not intrested.

Along time ago I came up the theory of finding one load that a particular gun likes and sticking with it. Although I will amended that by telling when I used to compete in IHMSA with a T/C CONTENDER 14", 7mmT/CU in the unlimited class, I had experimented with using a Hornady 120 gr., Spire Point bullet for the chicken and pig targets, and Nosler 140 gr., BT bullet for the turkey and ram target, but ended up with just using the Nosler 140 gr. bullet for all the targets.

Thanks

What twist is required for a bullet is based off the length of the bullet not the weight.

When a company or chart refers to a x grain bullet needing a said twist they are generally referencing the average lead core bullet.

Posts: 4020 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
PRR1957-

Sorry it took so long to reply. Don't worry about the cost; I bought a few boxes from a member here, but I'll never use them. Send your mailing address to my e-mail...

Posts: 296 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Bouddha,
Disclaimer: I've only killed one deer w/ a 6mm handgun (an 80 gr SSP bullet, either Hornady or Sierra). I was disappointed w/ the performance so haven't tried it again. This might be a good time to "think out of the box." Not only might you have problems stabilizing a 75-80 gr bullet, at the velocities you'll be able to push it, but the bullet may not be fast enough for it to expand. At your achievable muzzle velocity, a "varmint" bullet might expand nicely w/o being too fragile. For example, the 30 caliber 125 TNT bullet was highly recommended by JD Jones for deer hunting in the 300 Whisper (supersonic). I'd suggest testing for bullet expansion/integrity by loading some 65-75 gr varmint bullets and shooting them into a media of some sort. My son and I did a science fair project shooting the 30 caliber 125 gr NBT into water soaked newspaper, measuring penetration, expansion and retained wt of the bullet at different muzzle velocities. Shoot one or two bullets you trust for deer hunting to compare to. Admittedly, a deer's body is different from water soaked newspaper but I think you'd find some useful info. We found the 125 gr NBT penetration and weight retention deteriorated at mv >2600 fps. Make a bundle of 12" thick dry newspaper, soak it for 6 hours and shoot away. Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out. I'm curious what bullet will work best at those velocities.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1677 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Apparently I forgot how to measure rate of twist. The barrel is 1:12, not 1:14 like I assumed. So that opens up my bullet weight options.

Peter Resetz