Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st range trip for the 25 Creed Login/Join 

posted
Well I made it to the range with the XP100 25 Creed. Had some good results but found something I didn't quite expect. First of all Chris did a great job on it. That I did expect. I got lucky, I got to the range and used my redneck boresighter. (pulled the bolt, looked through the barrel centering the 50yd target in the bore then adjusted the scope.) Two shots one hole 50 yds just below center. Then started shooting 3 shot 100 yd groups. I had loaded 3 rounds each increasing charge by 1/2 grain at a time. First load decent group, second much better third very close to the second fourth opened up and harder bolt lift. I had been looking at the primers and they were not too bad last group slight cratering but brass flow into the ejector hole. started looking back and even the lowest charge had a slight shiny spot I just had to get out from under the shooting shed to see it. These loads were with Starline brass, CCI450 primer, RL 15 a 100gr. SMK and were below 6 creed and 250 AI max. loads. This gun will shoot I will just have to start lower on my powder charges than I had thought.

Bruce

Sighter target 2 shots

The two best load groups 3 shots each.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BruceP,

Posts: 1091 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've found looking for flattened primers isn't always a great sign of pressure. In the 6.5x47 lapua, 6x47Lapua, or 6mm long dasher I've reached pressure before the primers told the story.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
I've found looking for flattened primers isn't always a great sign of pressure.

Aaron

I can see that in the 25 creedmoor but I also thought that it would have been fine with 6 creedmoor data and the same bullet weight since the 25 should have less bearing surface for the same bullet weight.

Bruce

Posts: 1091 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
What I found is that all the creed brass other than Hornady you better massively reduce the load from book.

My Hornady brass loads are 3-4 grains heavier than my other brass

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Glad it’s shooting good!

Wild cats are fun happy

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoggin:
What I found is that all the creed brass other than Hornady you better massively reduce the load from book.

My Hornady brass loads are 3-4 grains heavier than my other brass

Thanks Chris good to know. How do the velocities compare when you load the Hornady brass and other brass to the max for each brand?

Bruce

posted Hide Post
Short video of the one shot at the 400 yard steel after guessing at which elevation mark to use.

Bruce

25 creed 400 yds

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
In my 6 creed it’s about the same.

Hornady brass is apparently very thin.

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Great start for sure!

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a lot of fun! Love the 25's!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leupold Man:
Sounds like a lot of fun! Love the 25's!!!!

I agree about the 25's. I know a 6 creed would have probably made more sense but then no one ever accused me of having good sense.

Bruce

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Lookin good. Of course we are all wanting those 1/4” groups. It’s coming. Wink

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9425 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Looking good Bruce . I wanted to share something with you that might make a difference and may not . I started load development for my 250ai using the 100 gr SMK and was getting decent results when another 250 shooter suggested I try the 90 gr Sierra hpbt . Groups size was cut in half . I know you have a faster twist so results may not be the same . Just wanted to pass it along to you .
Chris

Posts: 113 | Location: Ellijay GA | Registered: June 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KYODE:
Lookin good. Of course we are all wanting those 1/4” groups. It’s coming. Wink

Yeah I'll be working toward those 1/4" groups but 1/2" isn't bad for a start I guess.

Bruce

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CChastain:
Looking good Bruce . I wanted to share something with you that might make a difference and may not . I started load development for my 250ai using the 100 gr SMK and was getting decent results when another 250 shooter suggested I try the 90 gr Sierra hpbt . Groups size was cut in half . I know you have a faster twist so results may not be the same . Just wanted to pass it along to you .
Chris

Thanks Chris. I'll have to try the 90's sometime. The next bullet I try will likely be the 110gr Hornady. When I get things ironed out if you would like to drive across the mountain and meet me at our club range well do a little SP shooting. I never see another XP, Striker or even Contender there.

Bruce

posted Hide Post
That sounds great Bruce . I sent you a pm .

Posts: 113 | Location: Ellijay GA | Registered: June 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Give me a call sometime .
706-889-6704

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CChastain:
Give me a call sometime .
706-889-6704

I call or text soon.

Bruce