Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remage Login/Join 

Picture of semperfi
posted
What's everyone's thoughts on the remage system on the xp100? Will use a self timing removable brake. Good or bad, what do you think?

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 805 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Oh no. That would be admitting the Savage barrel nut system is a good idea. That not needing a gunsmith to remove and install barrels is a good idea.

I am NOT bad mouthing gunsmith, there are way too many people out there that will always need their trained and expertise services . I just think barrel changes are something the typical person can do themselves.

2 thumbs up.

Larry
Tinkeret

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
I think they are fine if you feel a need to swap barrels, I prefer to gave a dedicated frame and barrel, like I do with my Encores. It is really a matter of personal preference.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3510 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sawfish:
I think they are fine if you feel a need to swap barrels, I prefer to gave a dedicated frame and barrel, like I do with my Encores. It is really a matter of personal preference.

If a person had unlimited funds for actions, scopes,stocks,gunsmithing,etc and enough time [up to or exceeding a year] for the pistol to be completed,I would agree. In a perfect world i would also like dedicated rigs.
Thanks for your input! Keep 'em coming!

SemperFi

This message has been edited. Last edited by: semperfi,

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 805 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I think for a DIY you can do a touch better and you won't have to open the stock for the nut

several places make short chambered barrels. you could snug it down and ream through the receiver until it eases closed on a go gauge...pretty easy task to do and you could rent the tools.

I know nothing of the self timing brakes...never used one...

Posts: 4009 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
I see no issue with them, I think they work fine.
You can also have your gunsmith double pin the recoil lug to your frame and simply have another barrel fitted to your gun. This system is not a in the field type barrel swap as it requires using a barrel vise/action wrench. I have one of my XP set up this way and run two different barrels.

Posts: 2349 | Location: Illinois / USA | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
The self timing brake is an area 419 Hellfire brake. Maybe not as good as one the smith installs, but have heard good reviews on them.
I have a couple of switch bbl guns with the recoil lug double pinned and they work flawlessly. Just want to cut down on the wait time from the gunsmith.

Good idea on the reaming through the receiver Chris. Had not given that much thought!

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

posted Hide Post
Who on here is using the nut system on their XP?

Posts: 1612 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I built one this past summer with a 260 Remington McGowen barrel and love it.
I have taken one deer with it so far. Getting the barrel off was a bit of a struggle but the head spacing was pretty straightforward. I still am testing different bullet/powder combinations. I say go for it.
Marv

Posts: 26 | Location: SE Idaho | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Marv, What brand of barrel vise and action wrench did you use to remove the factory barrel? Thanks

Jon

Posts: 1612 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
When you get a rifle or pistol shooting REALLY GOOD the last thing you want to do is disturb it. Experience talking here...... paperbag

An analog guy in a digital world

Posts: 49 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
Yes, just put it back in the safe and look at it once in a while. devil

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

posted Hide Post
Jon,
I used a Rem 700 action wrench from Brownells and I have a old pipe vice with some sheet lead I wrapped the barrel with. Lots of soak time with kroil goes a long way in getting the barrel to break loose without heat also.

Posts: 26 | Location: SE Idaho | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Marv, I'm going to give it a shot at unscrewing one here. I've got an action wrench but need to scrounge up a barrel vise.

Jon