Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage striker Login/Join 

posted
Well I know what I'm doing with xp 100, now I'm looking at a savage super striker, need to know if anyone makes a laminate stock in left handed. And where is a good place to get ported barrels (300 blackout). Never shot a striker, but it the most inexpensive bolt deer gun for a Illinois.

Thanks j.

Posts: 529 | Location: Illinois  | Registered: September 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Never seen a laminate stock like the super striker in left hand for one.
The factory plastic stock looks like it would be better for a lefty.
Seems like some one was duplicating the factory plastic stock in laminate. And one of the members here also made a couple of wood pistol stocks for there own striker, I believe he sold one of the pistols not to long ago. He did a beautiful job. Not sure if they are still making them, someone else may know who to contact.
I have a walnut that someone made, it's a copy of the factory plastic stock, it's not bad, I never finished it to use. I just like the laminate super striker stock better if I'm gonna switch out a stock.
Good luck on this quest, Strikers are really a great pistol.
Andy

Posts: 787 | Location: South Central VA | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The only solid wood or laminated Striker stocks I remember were sold by Neal Cooper but those are not going to happen again. They were darn nice stocks and there are lots of pics still here if you do a search. Jim See and Tony G. took over for Neal on the stocks but I don't believe they are doing Striker stocks currently.

Tinkerer (larry) does a few by hand from a chunk of wood but not many. Stocks are probably the hardest (and expensive)part of building a SP, even if its an XP.

Posts: 1632 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have done some Striker stocks. I did one that's almost a duplicate of the Striker stock, so its ambidextorous.

I am currently working on a stock for one of our members, but due to health complications, its taking a while. Cancer and a heart attack set me back a little.

Once I complete that, I MAY volunteer to do another. I have set aside a nice piece of curly maple and have a piece of maple burl set aside. These are my last 2 stock pieces set aside. I have been trying to exit the business as it was never more than a hobby.

These are dependent on my health improving, and my shop getting reset up on my new farm.

So if you're still interested, we can talk after that. Once upon a time, Joel Russo had masters to CNC carve Striker stocks, but he can't find them and has been concentrating on a new rifle action and his stock business.

So, if you're interested, we can talk, later.

Larry Gates
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Larry,

I wonder if I could talk you into sending your stock to a professional stock maker that could use a "Stock Duplicator" to make a "Pattern stock" for us to use. It doesn't sound like you are interested in making them anymore and you have paid your dues far ahead. I guess your risk would be your stock but you choose the Maker.

I think all we are looking for is an inside cutout so the various outside styles could be made but a total piece would be great.

Thank you,

John

Posts: 34 | Location: Eugene, Orygun | Registered: April 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
http://lumberjocks.com/project...stock/by/date/page/1

Hal Doughtry in east TN has a duplicating machine and does good work. I don't know if he's around, haven't talked with him in two years. I would be interested in a slimmed down thumbhole stock for hunting.

If there is a wood super striker stock to duplicate, that's an option. I never liked the "blind" trigger guard, easily machined out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jtf,

Posts: 273 | Location: the brushies | Registered: September 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Norm at Royal Arms does a laminate. It's not a thumbhole, but states he inlets for a striker.

Look on the very bottom of the page on the link.

Crossbreeds
http://www.royalarmsgunstocks.com/crossbreeds.html

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Found a .223 super striker for sale today on a similar forum, it was all ready sold. There are probably several members on this forum that have the thumbhole.

Perhaps those of us interested in a duplication might put our efforts and dollars towards this project?

Posts: 273 | Location: the brushies | Registered: September 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Good link D-L-D!

posted Hide Post
jtf,

I am interested in the PROJECT. Where do you suggest we begin?

Posts: 34 | Location: Eugene, Orygun | Registered: April 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Find a loaner factory thumbhole stock and pick a duplicator. It likely a factory plastic stock would get decent results? Hope to entice a duplicator to offer the stocks for sale perhaps might interest them.

posted Hide Post
jtf,

I, of course, have a factory Striker plastic stock. The Royal folks look like they should be able to produce a stock in any state of finish you might want.

Keep your eyes open for a "Super" Striker.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johned:
Larry,

I wonder if I could talk you into sending your stock to a professional stock maker that could use a "Stock Duplicator" to make a "Pattern stock" for us to use. It doesn't sound like you are interested in making them anymore and you have paid your dues far ahead. I guess your risk would be your stock but you choose the Maker.

I think all we are looking for is an inside cutout so the various outside styles could be made but a total piece would be great.

Thank you,

John

Unfortunately, between the last time I posted and now, most of my Strikers were snatched up.

I have one last one left. It is a right hand thumbhole very much in the Super Striker style with the trigger opened up. A person has made a overture towards buying it, but nothing solid yet.

If you wanted to "borrow" the stock for duplicating, I guess we could work that out. Maybe make a deal on the factory plastic stock, too.

call/text me at 2one4two8nine1fiftyfive2 or PM me. Can't send you a PM.

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I believe Tonys Stocks & Grips did make them. I think he is so snowed under with Contender and Encore orders that he is not making them at the moment.
Myself I would prefer a rear grip laminated stock for one.

Bob

Posts: 331 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Just missed a .223 super striker on shooters forum by a few days. My current one is plastic.

I put together a rear grip savage once. Never thought tearing a striker in pieces made sense because it's simple to call the factory custom shop and purchase an action. They made a small shank in left hand for me.

posted Hide Post
Hi,I have a super striker stock that can be borrowed for this.

Posts: 191 | Location: rindge, new hampshire | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
GREAT! I emailed the shop this week about duplication, will report back when they respond.

posted Hide Post
Count me in if the shop is even remotely reasonable. I see three stocks for order and I wonder how many here would add their names. and you haven't even made this known on **** of the other forums.

Looks promising.

posted Hide Post
I typed "any". Did it come out a bad word?

Sorry

posted Hide Post
Had a reply from Norman at Royals, said he doesn't make striker stocks, although it says so on the web site. Perhaps that is for rear grips?

Are there that few striker pistols for a shop to tackle duplication? I will follow though if we can find a shop willing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Tonys Stocks & Grips

Ive been wanting a laminated stock for my striker for years. So count me in. It doesn't even have to be the super striker style. Had one on my 300 WSM and sold it due to being uncomfortable. however if anyone makes one in laminate i can always carve away on it until it is comfortable for my hand.

Posts: 143 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Has there been any update on the Striker mid grip stock hunt ? Looking for a right handed in Laminate. Thanks

Posts: 1 | Location: Lincoln, CA | Registered: April 27, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzzardhilllabs:
Has there been any update on the Striker mid grip stock hunt ? Looking for a right handed in Laminate. Thanks

Welcome to the forum Buzzard. Do a search here for Neal Cooper stocks and you will find some Striker & PTA laminates pics that will make you mouth water. Somewhere in this USA is a stock cutter, or two, with the cnc program for those stocks. I also have a hunch a couple guys here know who was cutting them.

Posts: 1632 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I don't think Neal made any mid-grips. But I agree there will be a shop willing especially for a group buy.

posted Hide Post
OK, I have been watching this thread with great interest.

At this time, I am just finishing a mid grip Striker stock for one of our members. I will tell you, from start to finish I have many of hours of hand labor, and he supplied the fancy (understatement) wood. I started with a block of wood, and will finish with a inletted, finished, and aluminum pillar bedded stock.

I have discussed in the past about maybe doing this as a part time business, but wood and labor make it prohibitive. I did the protos for Joel Russo, but he lost the originals.

So I have made about a dozen in various types and sizes and woods. From thumbhole to partial to bidirectional, from wide (5") to near Super Striker slender (about 2").

I have made inquiries about a CNC stock duplicator in Austin and he says he will, but cost may be high unless volume offsets.

So here's what I may be able to do.

I take a stock that the inletting is done on, I have 1 striker left of mine I can do this with. He scans it for the inletting side only with a stock barrel channel.

I get him to scan maybe 4 or 5 different patterns of stock, from full benchrest to slender Super Striker thumbhole.

The stock is already drilled for 1/2" pillars, fully inletted, and say 99% final shaped. That leaves sanding, finishing, and bedding. It is at standard striker barrel channel widths.

If the owner provides the wood, I could maybe afford to do this at about $375 each. MAYBE.

You can supply whatever you want, from laminate to fancy walnut.

Or I can at my costs, from about $150 to over $1000.

Well, anyone want to join in.

Larry
Tinkerer

posted Hide Post
Almost for sure when "maybe" gets more firm.

posted Hide Post
Depending on the type of stock available I would be interested.

-Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
OK, spoke with Tommy Shurley of Shurley Stocks in Austin. They do CNC stockmaking and can scan a stock for production. He says the scan would be a couple of thousand for production. He said it would NOT be cost efficient without a lot of stocks. Said to try Wenig. Did not know of anyone in North Texas at all.

I can buy a stock duplicator for about $1200. So, unless I'm making a hundred more, it would not be cost efficient for me to enter the production business.

As this summer progresses and I get my new shop built, I may make my own duplicator. I am an engineer and can figure it out. So i'll revisit the question later.

In the meantime, as health and time permit, I'll make one or two and see. I inquired at Richards about some laminate and he said $150 for a shotgun stock size piece at least 2.5" thick, and I have a piece of curly maple and a piece of maple burl to play with yet as well as finish the one I'm working on.

Good luck with your search. We are a very specialized field, and the number of players is small.

But we do have the chassis folk, so at least they are playing. I just love the feel and look of nice wood.

Larry
Tinkerer

posted Hide Post
Larry,

If you do take on more stock projects, and can make a slimmer (compared to the factory stock) McMillan style stock in either laminate or composite I would be very interested in discussing this further with you.

Thanks,
Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well, after the present stock, I am exploring ways to make this easier. I have a friend with a nice mill (he wants to sell it to me, and I want it, but no where for it).

I am going to make precise mechanical drawings of the inletting for a mill job.

After that, its all style and function. If you look at my curly maple above, its pretty slim. Something like that interest you in either pretty wood or laminate?

I can't do composite at this time, but I do a great mod to the Savage stock.

So, if that's what we're talking about, we'll talk after this one is complete.
I really would like to be able to do a complete stock in less than a month, barring unforeseen attacks that hospitalize me again.

Maybe, just maybe, this is workable. I like making stocks, and I would like it to be economically feasible as well.

Larry
Tinkerer

posted Hide Post
Larry,

Compared to the maple stock above ....
I like the thin profile for the forend, but would prefer a traditional grip rather then a thumbhole stock.

I would be interested in composite or laminate ... And I am interested in your mods to the factory stock.

My primary purpose is hunting but I want a forend which could still accommodate a bipod.

Can you tell me more about your modifications to a factory stock?

Thanks,
Freeze

posted Hide Post
For the Savage stock, I can mod the grip area for right or left hand, with finger grooves and slim the butt cap.

For the foreend, I can undercut the stock and glue/screw a piece of 1/2" void free plywood and blend it in with bondo/devcon. This both stiffens and gives the foreend some width for bipods. Than I can leave it flat, or round it up. I have even done air gills, but they are a pain to get perfect.

And i have some dynamite paint jobs in various camp patterns.

So, that's an option.

Larry

posted Hide Post
Larry,

When you are open to taking on more work please drop me a message ( I will also check in periodically) I am very interested in pursuing future stock options with you.

Thanks,
Freeze

posted Hide Post
Larry,

I just wanted to check in and let you know I am still interested in pursuing your modifications to a factory stock when your time and health permit.

I like the idea of reducing the bulk in the grip as well as stiffening the fore-end.

I hope all is well.

-Freeze

posted Hide Post
Sorry, missed your reply.

On modding a standard stock, just drop me a line.

PM me for phone number and we'll talk. About 3 deep at this time with custom stocks, but modding is easier, at least to me.

Larry
Tinkerer

posted Hide Post
Tinkerer,

I can't seem to send/receive PM so I sent you an email to the address in your profile.

Thanks,
Freeze

posted Hide Post
I'm with Freeze, both those mods.

posted Hide Post
OK, email works just fine.

I am presently 100% available. I even have 2 modded striker stocks available as well as 2 custom strikers, IF anyone would like.

Larry
Tinkerer