Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spray grit paint Login/Join 

posted
Has anyone ever used Brownells spray paint grit ? I’m repainting a fiber glass stock for a bolt pistol and would like have the stocks grip to have more grip to it. The gun is chambered in 6 PPC so it’s not a recoil monster.

Peter Resetz

Posts: 147 | Location: Lapeer, MI. | Registered: September 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I havent used Brownell's paint but went to Wally world and have used Rustoleum
multicolor textured paint in a can for a Savage Striker grip.I am pleased with the way it looks and does give more texture. I used the brown can on the Striker. I did put a couple coats of a satin clear over it as well.

Posts: 124 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I also bought RUST-OLEUM. Bought a self etching primer and the Dessert Tan textures with black & white specks and a clear Matt over finish. The stock came with a black pebble paint on it, but when in sanded off the finger groves exposing the foam core, I patched that with an epoxy resin which ran down the the side of the grip so I had to sand off a lot of the pebble finish. Now I want to add a slightly more textured finish to the grip. The Brownells textured spray paint is an epoxy paint, so I’ll have to wait to get a can of it and apply it first to the primer because epoxy paint doesn’t adhere to enamel to well.

When I’m finished with it, I’ll post pics.

I still need to aluminum oxide blast the barreled action and give it maganese phosphate finish along with th Leopold, Sako scope rings. I have the media blaster and park solution but need to come up with park tank which will be an aluminum or stainless steel roasting pot and a Coleman gas stove.

Peter Resetz

Posts: 147 | Location: Lapeer, MI. | Registered: September 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yes, I used it years go.

2 choices, mask off and spray over color coat with skateboard paint, or carefully cut and apply skateboard friction tape to hand area. Its pretty aggressive, so tread lightly.

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
I really like the Krylon Fine Stone Textured Finish spray paint, gives a finish that is rough but not real aggressive, plus when it gets scratched up from use it's easy to cover up.

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I’ve used slackerboard oops I mean skateboard tape before on both handguns and rifles. The trick is, after applying it, sand off the sharp points of the grit with 600 grit silicon carbide paper. It reduces the sharpness.

Peter Resetz

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Another option is Krylon marbilizing spray paint (previously called webbing). When dry it feel just like the texture used on HS Precision's webbed stocks.

Rick

Posts: 3533 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
Beautiful XP there nitemann!

Chris

Posts: 695 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
That's good looking!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Rick I like that!

Jon

Posts: 1609 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I used the deck paint from lowes that has sand in it for a grippy texture. May not look like these other fine pistols, but it goes bang when you pull the trigger.

IHMSA 44463
Last of the try hards!
You greenhorns are gonna ruin this sport!
I hate this game and the poeple that play it!

Posts: 38 | Location: ky | Registered: October 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post