Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom actions Login/Join 

posted
Has anyone here used a custom action like a PTG or BAT to have a bolt pistol built from instead of an XP. I was looking at the PTG single shot short actions and it would be cheaper to buy one of those then acquiring an XP and paying to have it trued up. Plus as an example, a PTG action will use a Remington pattern trigger which there are plentiful brands to chose from as for a rear-grip gun. If one is to want a mid-grip, I’m sure there are XP donor triggers out there.

Peter Resetz

Posts: 147 | Location: Lapeer, MI. | Registered: September 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
I have a BAT specialty pistol...Rear-grip

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12191 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
If you want a center grip I think the only action made right now that will work without a custom made stock is the Borden.

Rear grip....use whatever you want

Remington single shot actions are selling very cheap right now.

Posts: 4031 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have one BAT rear grip and another one being built . Pat

Posts: 84 | Location: Newark | Registered: October 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35isit
posted Hide Post
Defiance makes a great action. Know several people that have them.

Greg
Life Member NRA
7/27/2010 80x80

Posts: 1165 | Location: CENTRAL KY | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The reason I bring this up is to start with a used XP one going to spend $900.00 + just for the guns action, then if it is a typical Remington, it will probably need truing, which is more $ spent. The PTG action looks like the lowest priced action of any quality, and I know that action is based on the length of Remington 700 short so that makes for a very small offering of stocks.

The new Remington single shot actions that I have able to find online are so far long actions. Bud’s had some 700, short action, SS, single shot a few months back, but are sold out now.

I looking into building a bolt pistol to get back into IHMSA Silhouette in the Unlimited scope class. My old eyes just can’t deal with open sights anymore.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PRR1957,

Peter Resetz

Posts: 147 | Location: Lapeer, MI. | Registered: September 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Don't overlook a Savage Striker action. The left hand bolt is great as you don't have to change your grip on the gun when loading or reach over the top.

Posts: 402 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Looks like the single shot's are in stock at buds gun shop.

buds

I'd do my absolute best to avoid PTG like the plague. You'll be incredibly lucky if you don't have issues with your order.

Aaron

Posts: 2758 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
Looks like the single shot's are in stock at buds gun shop.

buds

I'd do my absolute best to avoid PTG like the plague. You'll be incredibly lucky if you don't have issues with your order.

Aaron

PTG is the devil peed

Posts: 4031 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Bummer to hear of that about PTG. I guess not everyone takes their company business seriously.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PRR1957,

Peter Resetz

posted Hide Post
Saw a post on accurateshooter that Stiller has a clearance on this action.

https://stilleractions.com/product/p1000-clearance/

Posts: 2073 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am not well versed on this, having shot only 700 or xp100 actions. Is this Stiller a 700 footprint? I've been looking at a Defiance.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 778 | Location: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: August 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
looked at Stiller’s web site again and noticed the action on sale isn’t 700 footprint

P1000 1.55 SHORT 308 – CLEARANCE

Remington 700 footprint is 1.35

Posts: 2073 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Stiller is longer then a Rem. 700, but looks like it takes a Rem. pattern trigger.

Peter Resetz