Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 wsm or 300 saum Login/Join 

posted
I have a mac's built xp100 in 308. Looking to rechamber to 300 wsm or 300 saum. I dont know the twist though. What are your thoughts.I.

Thanks j.

Posts: 525 | Location: Illinois  | Registered: September 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the 300 wsm. I have it in a Striker and love it. I think both would work for most anything although.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I loaded for a friend's 300 WSM Striker. It performed great. Have some videos of him and me dropping deer rapidly at 300+ yds with it and my .309JDJ.
I never owned one, but I sighted it in. Reasonable recoil, very accurate.
Whichever you get, may want to consider Lehigh 115 gr. Chaos bullets. They shoot the same point of aim out to 400 yds as all 150 gr. bullets with minimal recoil in my HS .308. Coupled with a 3-12 BPLex scope makes any of these .30 cal. 500 yd. deer guns.

Posts: 1856 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What does a rechamber usually cost. Does it affect accuracy.

Posts: 525 | Location: Illinois  | Registered: September 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Do you think I need to rechamber for aoudad out 300 yards. They appear to be be pretty tough animals. I have a 6.5 creedmoor also, which would be better.

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4570 hunter:
Do you think I need to rechamber for aoudad out 300 yards. They appear to be be pretty tough animals. I have a 6.5 creedmoor also, which would be better.

308 and 6.5 creed are going to do absolutely fine at 300 yards.

Posts: 4008 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4570 hunter:

You don't need to rechamber for Aoudad. 308 Win will work fine.
If you just want a 300 WSM or SAUM, then by all means do so.

Whatever you choose, use a good bullet, and then it all comes down to shot placement.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Aoudads are like Hogs. they get tougher every year.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3510 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would check on Brass/Loaded Ammo & Reloading Die availability as a starting point.

The 300 WSM would be my choice of the two.
With 150 grain bullets and RL19 powder Lyman has the 300 WSM doing 71 FPS more velocity than the 300 SAUM both with 1-10 Twist and 24" Barrel Lengths. The 308 with the same Twist and Barrel length using RL15 was doing 2847 FPS.
300 WSM = 3169 FPS
300 SAUM = 3098 FPS
308 Win = 2847 FPS

It looks to me like the 300 WSM will gain enough velocity over the 308 Winchester to make it worth while. Brass will be higher, and it will need 20 some odd grains of additional powder to get the maximum speed out of it. It looks like the 1-10 Twist is standard for all three chamberings.

I would also have a very good 4 Gill muzzle brake installed while getting it rechambered. I am sure it will recoil briskly without a brake. You need hearing protection with it in 308, being louder as a 300 WSM with a Brake is not a big deal. If it recoils hard enough that you hate to shoot it will not be a good thing. With a powder capacity of 70 Grains behind a 150 grain bullet, it is going to recoil impressively without a brake.

Just My 2 Cents

Bob R

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Viper225,

Posts: 331 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post