Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.357 bolt action SP. Is it possible? Login/Join 

posted
I'm finishing up a .20 VT build on a Rem 700 action and was thinking about a .357 SP.

I've looked through the files here but have not come across anything. I know the Contender folks use a .357 frequently and have good results.

Has anyone made a .357 in bolt action with the rim case?

Posts: 165 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have 2 bolts for my Rem action, one in .473 (.308 etc) and the other .384 (223 etc).

After doing more research on this, I understand that the bolt face for the 7.62x39 is .4545 and that is what is required for the .357.

I'm a single shot guy, so I never worry about magazines.

Is it cost prohibited to take a bolt and rework it for the .357?

Posts: 165 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K9TXS:
I have 2 bolts for my Rem action, one in .473 (.308 etc) and the other .384 (223 etc).

After doing more research on this, I understand that the bolt face for the 7.62x39 is .4545 and that is what is required for the .357.

I'm a single shot guy, so I never worry about magazines.

Is it cost prohibited to take a bolt and rework it for the .357?

You have to have a coned breach for a 700 style bolt or you would have to remove the rim of the bolt face and allow a sako style extractor to extend infront similar to how a cz claw extractor does....this style will feed ok. The cone breach will not feed.

The cz action in 762x39 is a good one for this conversion.

Posts: 4009 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
A few years back a member built a 45-70 single shot bolt action pistol. He posted almost every detail of the build along with photos. It is also a rimmed cartridge so I would think most of what he learned would apply to your build. I believe he used the name Texas Brass. You should be able to find it using the search function. Regards, Steve

Posts: 146 | Location: Kansas | Registered: September 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That gun was built by, Mike Abel at Rogue Precision Gunworks - Grants Pass, OR. He built me a 350 legend. I wanted a 357 max, but he stated it wasn't possible.

J.

Straight wall XP's

Left: 450 Bushmaster

Right: 350 Legend

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4570 hunter,

Posts: 525 | Location: Illinois  | Registered: September 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
Texas Brass is Cody Weiser...he’s a great dude.

When I initially read this post my first thought went to 350 Legend...same bolt face as 223, rimless to fix feed issues, and on par with 357 max performance...

Chris

Posts: 695 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post