Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 federal Login/Join 

Picture of Hoggin
posted
Looking for some real world velocity numbers from pistol length barrels for 338 federal. Thanks in advance!

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hoggin,

These velocities are taken from an Oehler 35P -- from a 15 inch pistol barrel.

Federal (blue box) 200 gr. SP 2465
Federal Premium 180 g. Nos. AB 2516
Fusion 200 gr. 2453
Fusion MSR 185 gr. 2581
American Eagle 185 gr. SP 2491

Handloads:

Nosler AB 180 gr. 51.0 grs of W 748 2475
Hornady 200 gr. SST 46.5 grs W 748 2315
Hornady 200 gr.FTX 46.5 grs W 748 2307
Nosler AB 180 gr. 48.0 grs Varget 2349

Posts: 1008 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Thanks....thinking about a FA single shot

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Have you shot the FA?

Aaron

Posts: 2752 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Not yet

posted Hide Post
This will be my first XP Build
Looking on Nosler web their test
Is with a 24 " barrel. Say at 2600
What do you think it would be at 15 or 16" barrel

Posts: 495 | Location: Maryland  | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Mark posted above.....2400 range....this makes me want to look at another round

posted Hide Post
Are you looking for something faster or slower?

Aaron

Posts: 2752 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Not really sure yet. I like the high energy of the 338....and I do want a hunt anything round within wooded and east coast field shooting type distances.....

I would say max normal range here without setting up for a long shot would be 400

And I am sure I could hunt anything within the US and expect to get within 400 except some of the mtn goat and sheep.

I only want to get two barrels with this gun. A 223 for vermin and a big game round.

I have been fighting to find a specialty pistol I like for a long time....I'm a pistol/wheel gun person and I want something that "feels" right.

I look at handgun hunting like golf. You can play an entire course with a 2 iron but it sure is a lot easier with a bag of clubs to pick from for each shot. With this said it's important to me to have a gun that I don't have to "learn" when I pick it up. (Reference to grip and such)

I can't pick up an xp and feel comfortable behind it. I would have to practice with just that gun.

A tc trigger guard beats up my knuckles. My hands are too big for them.

The Fa has a Saa/bisley type grip which will feel natural to me.

I'll end up putting a brake on both barrels more than likely.....I know a guy that can do that.

posted Hide Post
Talk to Ernie about brakes on those guns. I remember him saying that there were issues.

Aaron

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
Talk to Ernie about brakes on those guns. I remember him saying that there were issues.

Aaron

Ernie has all kinds of issues

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
I used Bob Baker's personal gun on a Texas hunt one year and loved it. All of the things that I thought would be issues were actually non-issues. Go for it.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3509 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted Hide Post
The FA 2008 is a great gun. I had one in 6.5Swede(shoulda never sold it). I think about getting another one from time to time. I had some accuracy issues and finish issues in the beginning but FA took care of them w/o hassle.

Tim

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

Posts: 6994 | Location: Western NY | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Tim, what was the cause of the accuracy issues?

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19866 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted Hide Post
Never did say, they replaced the barrel, the forend and did an action job. Shot fine when it returned.

Tim

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

Posts: 6994 | Location: Western NY | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of bowstryder
posted Hide Post
Chris I don't know what kind of powder capacity you are really going for but you could take a page from Doc's book and do a 325 or 338 wsm. They provide better velocity and are hammers on big game.

Posts: 445 | Location: waynesboro, va | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowstryder:
Chris I don't know what kind of powder capacity you are really going for but you could take a page from Doc's book and do a 325 or 338 wsm. They provide better velocity and are hammers on big game.

Those are not options in this gun

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I'm getting one....just need some more gun orders. koolaid

Picture of bowstryder
posted Hide Post
Sorry about my ignorance Chris. I've never looked into them.

Posts: 445 | Location: waynesboro, va | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post