Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458x2" underway Login/Join 

posted
The barrel for my 458x2" XP has shipped! Guess I get the other projects done so it can have its turn!

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Aaron what brand of barrel are you using? Contoured blank?

Jon

Posts: 1607 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Left Hand Dave
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

when you get it completed please post your range results. I have looked at this cartridge as a straight wall case option for the XP and am very interested in your results.

Thanks
Dave

Posts: 451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This barrel is a McGowen. I like their blanks for SP builds. It is a #8 contour. Once I get it together I'll post pictures and range results

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Lots of neat bullets for that one.... popcorn
Matt

------------------------------
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
VHA LIFE MEMBER
IBS MEMBER

Posts: 632 | Location: Upstate South Carolina  | Registered: March 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
A really cool round. I shot JD's XP in 1979 while visiting him. Did iron targets out to 200 yds. fairly easy. He had a iron mastodon at 500 yds. Even got it after a few shots. A proper break and stock make it reasonable to shoot, but it does get your attention.
I don't think it will be a proper mtn. goat round!

Posts: 1855 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Should be a good bear hammer

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Now I remember I was supposed to dig out a reamer for you

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Planning on using it for bear. Should hit em hard.

Aaron

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
I believe BLASERMAN has one. Hopefully he'll see this and chime in.

Rick

Posts: 3529 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 458x2” and the 450 Marlin is ballisticaly? I know the belt on the Marlin is longer and I guess the case on the Marlin is .100 longer but other than that arn’t they basically the same? If that is the case is there a reason to pick one over the other?

Dave

Posts: 451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of straight8
posted Hide Post
When you're ready, I'll send you all the load data I collected for mine. 300's and 350's aren't bad, 400's start to get your attention.
Rog

XP's: 223, 250AI, 308 Imp, 375/350, 416 Whammy, 458X2"
Contender: 22LR, 375 JDJ, 500 HWP
Encore: 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 375 H&H, 340 WBY, 416 Taylor, 450 Alaskan, 500 Linebaugh
Semi: 45acp, 460 Rowland

Posts: 1141 | Location: "Y" City, Arkansas | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straight8:
When you're ready, I'll send you all the load data I collected for mine. 300's and 350's aren't bad, 400's start to get your attention.
Rog

I'll take you up on that! I've got a bunch of cast bullets in the 300gr weight range and some 400gr x's.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Left Hand Dave:
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 458x2” and the 450 Marlin is ballisticaly? I know the belt on the Marlin is longer and I guess the case on the Marlin is .100 longer but other than that arn’t they basically the same? If that is the case is there a reason to pick one over the other?

Dave

I picked the 458x2" because I found a cheap reamer. A buddy gave me a bunch of 458 brass and bullets. One reason to choose the 458 vs 450 is that any of the belted mag brass can be cut down and used. IF hornady were to quit making brass for the 450 you'd be up a creek.

One reason to pick the 450 is that a 458x2" supposedly could be chambered in a 300mag or 7mm mag. Wouldn't be good if the trigger were pulled then! I don't have a 7mm mag or 300 mag to see if one will fit in it.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
I was told the 450 Marlin dies could be used for the 458x2. This was AFTER I passed up a model 7 in 458x2.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!

Posts: 3023 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I spent some time looking at the prints for both cartridges before deciding to buy 450 marlin dies. I'm pretty confident they'll work ok. May need a didn't crimp die though.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
Aaron did you move your lathe to AK or does someone up there have one you can use? Did you feel that earthquake where you are at.

Jon

Posts: 1607 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawcarver
posted Hide Post
He moved the Lathe up there and he drug the mill up there too, even though he didnt want to take the mill. ohboy

Posts: 961 | Location: Howell MI | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Didn't feel the quake. We're a long ways from the center of it. Have a buddy who was right in it.

I did move the tools. Pretty darn spendy getting them here. There aren't many on the island so I doubt I could borrow one.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
Didn't feel the quake. We're a long ways from the center of it. Have a buddy who was right in it.

I did move the tools. Pretty darn spendy getting them here. There aren't many on the island so I doubt I could borrow one.

Aaron

Thought you might have left them with Adam for safe keeping. laugh laugh

Jon

posted Hide Post
He made it clear he doesn't have the patience for it..... It would have made the move a lot better!

Aaron

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
The barrel for my 458x2" XP has shipped! Guess I get the other projects done so it can have its turn!

Aaron

What length barrel did you decide on?

thumbup Rod
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It's 18" right now. I think I'm gonna cut it to 14" plus the brake.

Aaron

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
In for the build.... Love the big 45's in SP's.... I know U gonna rock it from start to finish...

CW
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!

www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -

Posts: 1227 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Got the barrel in. Just gotta clear the slate first before I start on this one.

Aaron

Picture of straight8
posted Hide Post
Finally sent the data, should be 10 pages, enjoy!
Rog

XP's: 223, 250AI, 308 Imp, 375/350, 416 Whammy, 458X2"
Contender: 22LR, 375 JDJ, 500 HWP
Encore: 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 375 H&H, 340 WBY, 416 Taylor, 450 Alaskan, 500 Linebaugh
Semi: 45acp, 460 Rowland

Posts: 1141 | Location: "Y" City, Arkansas | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Aaron

posted Hide Post
Mines not finished yet
Trying to figure who to send it too after my picking the wrong pretender.
Have gobs of 458 x 2 brass
Just picked up some that someone
had a company make , also loss of 458 brass too.
I want to make mine a repeater. Like to use a 400 gr bullet
My Xp is an Xp R to start
Straight8 sent me some of his Data.

Posts: 495 | Location: Maryland  | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mines not finished yetTrying to figure who to send it too after my picking the wrong pretender.

Look at some of the last few builds on here and give those smiths a call, send a message to the owners and ask about the overall service and work done. We have a lot of talented gunsmiths on this sight.

Glenn

“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
Like I said above, I shot JD's personal .458X2 XP years ago. Excellent gun. Might want to check with SSK.

Posts: 1855 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
OK where we at on this project? scratch head