Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

McMillan Action Screw Question Login/Join 

Picture of Nitemann
posted
For those of you who have drilled and tapped the rear action screw on the center grip McMillan stocks how deep do you drill the hole? Don't want to drill all the way through and mess up such a nice stock.

Rick

Posts: 3536 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
roughly 1/4" will be fine. you have quite a ways you can go before you would screw up.

Posts: 4009 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What diameter and thread pitch should the hole be drilled and tapped to?

Posts: 39 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Niteman,

I believe the factory rear action screw is 8-36.

I don't want to hijack your thread .... but would like to hear thoughts/opinions of tapping to and changing the rear action screw to 8-32.

-Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Since your drilling and tapping it you can use any size you want as long as it goes through the action hole and doesn't interfer with the trigger linkage. I'll be using a 8-32.

Rick

Posts: 3536 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nitemann,

I will also be using 8-32 for the job. A job I plan to tackle tomorrow.

My research shows that 8-36 is slightly (about 5%) stronger than 8-32, but 8-32 is still much stronger than necessary for the job.

I was just checking with the more informed, before I dove into the task.

-Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post