Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Grendel for deer Login/Join 

posted
So I have this original BF Arms pistol chambered in 32-20 that I want to re barrel with a 15” barrel. A friend has a 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC chamber reamers and head space gauges. I am leaning towards the 6.5 Grendel do to a greater selection of brass and bullets. Want to build it to take Michigan whitetails out to 200 yards. The Nosler 100 gr BT and 100 gr Partition are the bullets I am considering.

Any and all opinions.

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PRR1957,

Peter Resetz

Posts: 147 | Location: Lapeer, MI. | Registered: September 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
Should be OK. Don't forget Sierra GameKings. Really soft and do a number on deer. Those MI deer or sort of big. Might want to try 120s or 125NPT.
All 6.5 rounds seem to kill way out of proportion to their case size.

Posts: 1856 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would contact EAB and see what their thoughts are on the 6.5 Grendel. I would guess it to be border line for the frame. Though I did see they offered 6PPC at one time.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!

Posts: 3024 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Mgm will do the Grendel on a g2

Posts: 4008 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have been looking at 6.5 Grendel forums for short barrel data and have surmised a 25 FPS loss per inch of barrel seeing that most of the load data is for 20”-24” barrels. With a 100 gr bullet I should get low to mid 2500 FPS muzzle velocities from a 15” barrel. With heavier bullets they will come truddling out of the barrel with a artillery like trajectory. I know that a lighter bullets will have a lower BC and SD, but from what I have seen and read the two 100 gr Nosler’s will one shot kill big wild pigs.

What I more interested in is has anyone here had one of these BF Arms pistols, and what kind of chamber pressures they can handle. I see load data for the 6.5 Grendel for AR’s, and higher loads for bolt guns. I called E. Author Brown who is currently building BF pistols, and asked about what about the 6.5 Grendel in a original BF and was told to use AR data even for their BF guns. Then I see at the bottom of A.E.Browns web page a large list of cartridges and some are in the 7-30 Waters class for chamber pressures (40K PSI). The Grendel is a cartridge is like the PPC were to get it best perform accuracy wise, really likes to be pushed almost to it’s limits. Chamber pressures for AR’s is in the 52K PSI ranges, and bolt guns in the 58K PSI ranges.

Peter Resetz

Posts: 147 | Location: Lapeer, MI. | Registered: September 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Who ever re barrels it make sure they know the barrel is glued in.

Make sure the extractor will work with the case.

Posts: 4008 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hoggin;
Glued in with Red Loctite ? Thanks for the info on that. I will be doing the re barreling and have re barreled Remingtons before with the Loctited barrels. PIA cleaning the old Loctite out from the reciever.

As for the extractor. It is located at the 6 o'clock position and is for a smaller 32-20 rim, so it can be modified.

Peter Resetz

posted Hide Post
I have a couple of BF’s. The originals were designed around and for a rimmed cartridge. I want to say EAB fashioned an extractor to work better with the rimless cases after they bought them.

If you have a high primer, the block will let you know.
If you get more pressure than it likes, they can be a bear to get open. Then you will probably bend the extractor also.

My newer one will let you know when it doesn’t like a load, chambered in 7US.

I myself would throat the 6.5 Grendel so more of the bullet is out of the case and play with the slower powders.

I have seen a lot of cases chambered for the Contender/G2. I have see two factory barrels for 6PPC and several in 7BR. I have shot next to both in matches and seen them lock up. The guy with the 7BR barrel bought several extractors as he was always bending them with his load.
The 6PPC would auto eject. The gent then found one SSK built. It didn’t auto eject but was still a PITA.
YMMV

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!

Posts: 3024 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have two AR rifles in 6.5 Grendel, one with an 18" the other with 20" barrel. This is a neat little round. With a 15" barrel you should be able to get 2600 to 2650 fps with no problem with 100 gr bullets. With 120s 2400 to 2450 fps should be doable. Do not over look the Speer 120 Gold Dot bullet. I have only shot one deer with this bullet out of my 20" rifle with it doing 2550 fps but it did AWESOME on this deer shot at 111 yards. This bullet has shot VERY accurate in both of my rifles with IMR 8208. I have not shot them but a number of people on the Grendel web site have used the Nosler 129 Long Range Accubond with great success out of really short barrel pistols.

Posts: 1171 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input on this gun, but now I am kind of perplexed as to what to do with it. On one hand I would like to re barrel it in the 6.5 Grendel for I have a chamber reamer, head space gauge, dies, and brass, but the more I research the gun and from input from some of you, and contacting E.A.Brown about this cartridge combo I relies that the Grendel could not be pushed to its full potential do the limited strength of the BF action. I learned that the BF was designed for cartridges in the 40K PSI range and the Grendel operates at AR type maximum of 52K PSI range. Well I am not the type to live with loading down a cartridge as in my hand loading experience that sometimes that magic load accuser at near max pressures. So then I started kick around the idea of maybe a straight wall cartridge with real oomph like the 357 Maximum or the 414 Gates, but then I’ll have buy a chamber reamer, head space gauge, dies, powders, bullets of which I do not like that selection of, and most expensive of all, the brass.

To tell the truth, I traded it mostly for the Burris 10X MER pistol scope do to its fine duplex reticule and target turret knobs so as to trans plant it on my Sako pistol. Also the gun is currently chambered in 32-20 which to is to me the equivalent of a 38 Special. Not my cup-o-tea. I looked maybe re chambering it in 30 or 32 Remington, ( not sure if it is a .308 or .312 bore) but there is the whole expense of tooling and loading tools and components. Plus there would not be much barrel for the bullet to transit with that cartridge. This is the third time I have acquired a gun that after having it, I kind of decided I do not want. Now I am thinking of maybe trying to sell it, but this mite be a tuff one to unload.

Dang it. I really hate it that I still do stuff on an impulse. Even more annoying is that I was going to build an XP 100/700 in 284. Now that is on hold. If I didn’t have knee problems, I’ed would kick myself in the butt.

Peter Resetz

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
I have a 13” 6.5 Grendel by MGM for my g2 that will be my primary deer getter if I get to hunt this year. I’m getting great groups with factory Hornady Black ammo, but haven’t been able to get it across a chrono yet. I absolutely love this little cartridge

Chris

Posts: 695 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post