Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 Bushmaster Bolt Action Pistol Login/Join 

Picture of Left Hand Dave
posted
I know a few people on this site have built 450 Bushmaster pistols. I would like to know how it worked out. How well they shot, if you had any problems, what you liked and what you didn’t like. Also how well it worked on deer. I assume the reasons for building one are the same as why I am looking at one and that is due to being restricted to straight wall pistol cartridges for deer. Let me know what you learned.

Thanks
Dave

Posts: 451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I would also consider a 450 marlin.

Then it will headspace off the belt.

The bushmaster is off the case mouth.

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
How fast does a bushmaster push bullets? Is it fast enough to be beyond what they are designed for? They've got to be designed to open at lower velocity than most .458" bullets.

Aaron

Posts: 2752 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Buddy has a short barreled AR. He uses projectiles intended for 45-70 use a fair bit.

Chris, don't forget who is making some of the rules for pistol hunting. Length may be an issue. If it isn't a true design for a handgun can cause issues also.

Here in Kansas for a long time it was a specific case length and bullet diameter. I shot a fair buck with a 10" 7TCU. Just so happened a GW happened along when I was loading it in the truck. All he saw was WW 223 on the brass. Had no idea what a Contender was, let alone the 7TCU. Almost had a pile of grief over that. Three game wardens and finally a county sheriff showed up. The sheriff knew me and what the rig was.
Now a full 180 degree swing. All it says is center fire cartridge. May build a 25ACP on an XP to save powder,lol, ;-).
Jeff

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!

Posts: 3022 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have one, Jeremy made it, (So far so good.) I'm a Illinois guy. We have worse handgun hunting rules then you. I'm hunting with it right this minute. Shoots great, recoil is not that bad. Holland brake. I have a 3-12 burris on it.

Posts: 524 | Location: Illinois  | Registered: September 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ok I looked at the reloading data and the 450 Marlin is .4 longer and it looks like about 300 FPS faster with a 2.5” barrel advantage. If you use the 450 Marlin you have the belt to headspace on. It looks like to me your max range would be 200-250 yards. I am going to have to compare that against the 444 Marlin. If I can get acceptable accuracy out of an Encore pistol maybe it’s not worth using an XP Action. Other than just to get to hunt with one at home. Anyone that has a straight wall case on an XP action what kind of groups are you getting? Same question for anyone with a 444 in a Encore, Contender or MOA. I have an MOA I am going to have rebarreled. I would need the extractor changed though.

Posts: 451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless Striker action that I am planning to build a 450BM on, but been having a time finding someone to provide the barrel right now. Ballistics are quite similar to the 460 Smith from a short tube.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I got my barrel from McGowen, no complaints, shoots great.

Posts: 524 | Location: Illinois  | Registered: September 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I know that sawcarver uses a 444 tender. Not sue what bullet he's running.

Aaron

Posts: 2752 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I think Cody likes his 45/70. Lots of threads on it.
Jon

http://specialtypistols.infopo...350098686#7350098686

Posts: 1600 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I'd take a hard look at the 458 SOCOM, over the bm. The .458" bullet selection is so much better than .451", especially in the heavy weights. Factory load pressures are higher for the bm but there's no saami spec for the SOCOM yet. Also, the SOCOM is bottle necked eliminating the need to headspace off the case mouth. Excellent brass exists for the SOCOM from Starline. I guess I gave away my pick of the two... laugh

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19866 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Unfortunately in Ohio we are restricted to straight wall cases for deer hunting so the SOCOM is out. If we could use bottle neck cartridges I wouldn't be able to decide which one to take Big Grin

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Left Hand Dave:
Unfortunately in Ohio we are restricted to straight wall cases for deer hunting so the SOCOM is out. If we could use bottle neck cartridges I wouldn't be able to decide which one to take Big Grin
Ahhh, missed that you were after a straight wall. Then the Bushmaster is probably the best bet in an xp. Wink

Edit: Just read your op again and see that was mentioned specifically. Slap_Forehead

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19866 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Why not rebarrel your MOA to a 357 MAX? Seems like one of the best straight wall cartridges for the states that require it. I would think that the MOA would handle the rimmed cartridge well.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
quote:
Why not rebarrel your MOA to a 357 MAX? Seems like one of the best straight wall cartridges for the states that require it. I would think that the MOA would handle the rimmed cartridge well.

I had considered this as an option but I already have a 14" MGM barrel for my Contender. I also thought about other straight wall cases for my MOA but thought maybe the MOA would be better used for a longer range chambering. I also think I have to stay with something with a .308 case head due to the fact I don't think I can get another extractor for my MOA.

Dave

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I had considered this as an option but I already have a 14" MGM barrel for my Contender. I also thought about other straight wall cases for my MOA but thought maybe the MOA would be better used for a longer range chambering. I also think I have to stay with something with a .308 case head due to the fact I don't think I can get another extractor for my MOA.

Dave

Richard IS working on extractors. Finish date?

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:

Richard who? Seems like someone I should talk to.

Dave

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Richard who? Seems like someone I should talk to.

Dave

Mertz, original owner of moa maximum pistols

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
As mentioned by several above, there are a lot of 0.458 bullets that function well at achievable pistol velocities due to the popularity of the 458 socom. I'm shooting a 45-70 encore with a 15" factory barrel that was cut to 13.5 and a fish gill break installed. I handload the 300gn TTSX from Barnes to ~1800 fps. It will stack the first two shots at 100 yards and then the third will pull down several inches if I don't let the barrel cool. If I take my time it will shoot MOA. It's not a light gun, but if I was doing it again, I would look for a heavier contoured barrel to help a little with recoil and barrel heating.

The handloads are fun to shoot with the installed break and can be shot by novices. I've shot the Buffalo Barnes 300gn TSX +p loads and clocked them at 2050+, they get to be more of a handful. I tried for a little bit to replicate them, but then decided this would remain my brush/woods gun and the extra recoil wasn't worth it. It wears a red dot sight and I limit myself to <150 yards.

The 450 Marlin would undoubtedly be good choice too, but if you handload, I don't think you will gain a significant (or any if you consider case volume) amount of performance over +p 45-70 loads. If you don't hand load, consider that Midway has 4 flavors of 450 Marlin vs 36 flavors of 45-70 for sale.

FYI I never got the Hornady 300gn flat nosed bullets to shoot worth a darn. I was lucky to get them all on the same 12" target while the Barnes will often have 2 out of 3 shots touching.

Posts: 157 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You could also take a look at the 45Raptor or 45vrap (same thing but vrap has a smidge tighter chamber) ammo and brass are available through midway usa. I run the 45vrap out of a ar15 with 225gr hitting 2650fps from a 16" barrel it also just uses 460 s&w dies.

Posts: 14 | Location: Missouri | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post