Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock refinishing Question Login/Join 

posted
I got 3 or 4 XP stocks 2 are Remington XPR'S , 7 fingers
Don't like the paint on them is it safe to media blast these , just to get the
colors off. If so what would you use as media that is not harsh.

Thanks Ken

Posts: 495 | Location: Maryland  | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Google soda blasting.

Aaron

Posts: 2752 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Aron

Already have the blaster set up , never thought of Soda.

Posts: 495 | Location: Maryland  | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
From everything I've read its much more gentle that regular bead/media blasting.

Aaron

Posts: 2752 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I will post before and after pics

posted Hide Post
motorcycle and snowmobile engine builder have been using soda for years to clean alum parts

Posts: 2086 | Location: Kasson MN | Registered: August 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Only chemicals won't remove some of the wood. I use paint stripper and flush and brush with lots of water and the warmer the better. Don't let the stripper dry or it is just paint again. I use stripper twice and let the wood sorta dry between applications and after rinsing so the stripper doesn't get diluted. After that I apply Easy-Off oven cleaner and lert it sit for 5 min but not dry and then brush it off in a water stream with as stiff brush.

Sand the stripped wood with 220 or 400. I have used steel wool but the wood has a tendency to "polish" and the stain may not penetrate. Use the alcohol version of the German(TRANSFAST DYE) water base stain for crystal clear stain that catches the light and dances in the color. I only hand rub the finish with "Tru Oil" that gets rubbed and then steel wool rubbed down for at least 4 coats.

Polished and flat sanded Poly Urathane only comes close and the grain dance is muted.

Posts: 34 | Location: Eugene, Orygun | Registered: April 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
XP-100R stocks are fiberglass. The 7fingers is aluminum. Don't know if I'd go putting chemicals on the glass stocks.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
I am working on them now
Soda is doing fine
Will post after they are done
Doing it little by little when I have time