Specialty Pistols
back country xp

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/8010004486

September 19, 2016, 08:51 PM
rickiesrevenge
back country xp
After my goat hunt last fall I decided to cut as much weight from my pack as I could before going again this fall. I've built light rifles before so I figured that I could cut a few pounds off my pistol. It may not be the prettiest thing out there but it's sure light. I haven't fired it yet because I forgot to order dies hammer I thought that I had but I looked for them last night and couldn't find any, so no range report yet. A good buddy turned down and fluted the barrel for me which I think turned out awesome. I built an aluminum muzzle brake, which I'm sure won't last nearly as long as a steel one. After building the pistol I looked at the bipod. A harris is quite hefty when your counting ounces. So I build a basic bipod. I plan on building one where the legs fold up. They screw on right now so I can take them off to put it in my pack.

Aaron

September 19, 2016, 09:35 PM
40xmike
Aaron,
I really like how you think outside the box thumbup
Very cool rig! That will be a joy to pack around.
Nice work buddy Big Grin

mike
September 19, 2016, 09:40 PM
410shooter
It is definitely not the prettiest XP on the sight but sometimes functionality over rules looks. I'm sure it will shoot good with it set up the was it is. What caliber is it. Nice looking set up!
September 19, 2016, 10:05 PM
Magnum Mike
That's really unique! I like that you weren't afraid to make it practical.

What dies do you need? We might have them in stock...

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

September 19, 2016, 10:08 PM
nmhunter
Very cool thumbup another bipod you might look at is the snipe pod , connector base and can switch two different length legs, the lugs fold out via a bungee cord system extremely light weight.
Nmhunter
September 19, 2016, 11:32 PM
Ernie
So proud of you and this build

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
September 20, 2016, 12:33 AM
junebug
Nicely done, not pretty but built for a specific purpose. Ounces do translate to pounds at the end of a long day at altitude thumbup. Is it a 284 Win?
September 20, 2016, 06:15 AM
BLASERMAN
Wild looking
Unique build
September 20, 2016, 07:34 AM
rickiesrevenge
Its a 284win. I plan on shooting 162gr Amax in it. The original ones that had an aluminum tip like the 50 cal still have

I looked at the snipe-pods a while back. Mentioned them to my goat hunting buddy and he ran out and bought one. He says its not stable enough because of where the bipod attaches to the gun. He sent it to me and I tightened it up, but he still doesn't like it. He loves it on a rifle though, go figure. I know eventually I'll build a little better bipod. Should have time this winter...

I'm in need of a type-s full length sizer. Still have a chunk of barrel that I'm gonna make the seater die out of.

Aaron
September 20, 2016, 08:27 AM
Magnum Mike
Hi Aaron, we do not have that one in stock, but Redding should, and we could get it to you in about 7-10 days. Cost is $80.74 + 6.50 shipping. If you'd like to order it, you can call us at 724 614-7360 m-f 10-6 or order it online at http://accuratearmsandammo.com...ing-Die-RED77XXX.htm , it's a category 3.

Interested in hearing how you'll make a seater from the barrel stub, if you care to share.

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

September 20, 2016, 10:56 AM
TXBRASS
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
Its a 284win. I plan on shooting 162gr Amax in it. The original ones that had an aluminum tip like the 50 cal still have

Aaron

Where did you find these???

Very cool build Aaron.... Can you take and post some close-up pics of the stock and what you did for the cut-out...

Anxious to see recoil and groups!

CW
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!

www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -
September 20, 2016, 04:24 PM
rickiesrevenge
I found a couple boxes on accurate shooter. Then a member here was kind enough to give me a box. I should have enough for load developement and shooting at a lot of critters! From what I've read they only made 1 run of these bullets in 1995. I believe it because all of the boxes I've received have the same lot number....

I'm gonna make a wilson style seater die from the barrel stub. The barrel I sent Mike was a 30"x1.25" barrel when I got it. I cut it down quite a bit before sending it. So I've still got an 8" or so section. I'll dial that part in, turn it down to 1" in diameter, chamber it and then ream the rifling out so that its smooth and .2845" diameter. Then make a top and seater plug like wilson makes. I could by a seater blank from wilson, but this will only cost me my time and some cutting fluid.

Aaron
September 20, 2016, 07:28 PM
Leupold Man
Very unique and practical, well done congrats!!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member
September 20, 2016, 08:20 PM
tgp
Aaron, It should be a charm to carry, I like it!! Big Grin

Glenn

“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

September 24, 2016, 05:24 AM
sscoyote
Great ideas Aaron. Love it!

Have you ever thought of customizing the original Zytel stock? That sucker's so light I often thought that that would be a great backpack system with a little fiddling and strengthening here and there.

In fact, I actually sold my old 7-270 WSM XP, and I need something backpackable myself now.

Steve
September 24, 2016, 04:48 PM
deepwater
Aaron,
The barrel looks great! Not the pencil I had initially envisioned.
If that is the weight with scope, it is amazing that you were able to pull it off.
As mentioned earlier, I am also curious about the recoil.

deepwater

This message has been edited. Last edited by: deepwater,
September 25, 2016, 08:35 AM
bowstryder
That went a totally different direction from what I figured you'd do as well. Yep it's ugly.......but in that Sci-fi unique cool kinda way! Looking forward to the range report!!
October 07, 2016, 07:34 PM
rickiesrevenge
Got the sizing die in this week. Almost done making the seating die. Hopefully get to shoot it this weekend happy
October 08, 2016, 12:50 PM
nmhunter
thumbup
October 09, 2016, 09:12 PM
rickiesrevenge
Well, I shot it. Recoil is brutal. I knew it was going to kick, but holy crap. I shot a couple ladders to see if I could find pressure with both H4350 and H4831 using the 162's. The max charges I shot with both powders topped out at 2598. I loaded up 20 cartridges to sight it in and run the ladders. By the time I got to the last 4 I really didn't want to shoot them! It hurts. I think this one is going to have a load developed and then put away until its time to kill stuff. It aint fun at all.

Aaron
October 10, 2016, 12:01 AM
jhalcott
That is unique, not ugly nor pretty. As for the recoil, once sighted in, you only NEED a few rounds a year. Besides you can let the hemen at the range prove their tough by shooting a 5 shot group. I do that with my 358JDJ. I take the brake off for them though!
And use the 250 grain bullets!
October 10, 2016, 09:28 AM
deepwater
Aaron,

Would these gloves be of any value to you when working up loads?

www.pro-aim.com

Good luck with the load development.

Fred
October 10, 2016, 09:54 AM
Ernie
Put a Holland Radial Baffle on it.
Compare felt recoil with the two brakes, then decide if the extra weight is worth the comfort of shooting it.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
October 10, 2016, 10:57 AM
rickiesrevenge
quote:
Originally posted by deepwater:
Aaron,

Would these gloves be of any value to you when working up loads?

www.pro-aim.com

Good luck with the load development.

Fred

Something like that may help.

Aaron
October 10, 2016, 11:00 AM
rickiesrevenge
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:
Put a Holland Radial Baffle on it.
Compare felt recoil with the two brakes, then decide if the extra weight is worth the comfort of shooting it.

I'm sure that a Holland brake would be more efficient. I don't remember what threads I put on this barrel. Pretty sure it was 5/8" but I don't remember what the pitch is.

Aaron
October 10, 2016, 12:10 PM
BruceP
Unique looking for sure and should work great. What kind of groups were you getting in your initial range trip.

Bruce
October 10, 2016, 03:04 PM
rickiesrevenge
I didn't shoot groups. Really just a ladder test looking for pressure. Ran two ladders. One with 51-54gr of H4350 and one with 55.5-58.5gr of H4831. Ran them over the chrono to get an idea of what speeds are possible. Both topped out at 2598fps.

Aaron
October 11, 2016, 11:07 AM
Rog (Buttermilk421)
Aaron, if your ports on the brake you made are 90' (perpendicular to the bore axis), then perhaps you could try some angled ports along the lines of 15 to 20 degrees angled rearward to assist with pulling the gun forward to help alleviate some of the recoil.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

October 11, 2016, 04:05 PM
rickiesrevenge
Rog,
Once I get this new mill up and running I may try that. May add another port or two while I'm at it.

Aaron
October 14, 2016, 10:35 PM
deepwater
I agree with the previous posts that a different brake should reduce recoil. Additional recoil reduction would be achieved using Barnes 150 grain bullets with a slower powder. It goes without saying that this combo must produce a load to your satisfaction. Maybe Berger 140 grain VLD Hunting bullet. Compromise may be necessary if another brake, by itself, is not the answer....is the chamber throated for the 168 grain bullet?

I feel that every little bit helps and will add up to a more manageable firearm.

deepwater

This message has been edited. Last edited by: deepwater,
October 15, 2016, 08:44 AM
semperfi
Aaron, as you are probably aware, you may want to keep your first port at 90 degrees and the rest at 15-20 to help reduce some of the felt blast.

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member