Specialty Pistols
What would you ask for?

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/7890012786

June 11, 2017, 07:44 AM
Jamie
What would you ask for?
So if a major manufacturer decided to built a factory bolt pistol what features would you want? Heavy, light, long or short and what chambering?

June 11, 2017, 08:46 AM
Nor Cal Mikie
The chambering of YOUR choice, the barrel length YOU want, either right or left action, or right bolt left eject or left bolt right eject. And the action has to be as smooth as an XP 100!!
You pick how YOU want the rig to be. Sounds like I just described my Savage Model 10 left hand repeater action set up as a single shot. Big Grin
Whatever, you get it exactly the way YOU want it.
Mid grip, rear grip, thumb hole, non thumb hole, sights, no sights.
Must have a barrel nut so swapping calibers is real easy and it's a do it yourself thing.
If it was a Remington XP 100 clone, make it a left hand version for the right hand shooters and the standard right hand platform would still available.
And it must be NON designated (rifle/pistol) so there's no questions or concerns about it being a pistol or not. Wink

And Jamie, it would look just like the one you pictured. Cool Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nor Cal Mikie,
June 11, 2017, 11:53 AM
rickiesrevenge
Is this a hypothetical question or what?

Aaron
June 11, 2017, 12:41 PM
280 AI
Well good question , I did see Rem had 3 XP 100 's at NRA Show in Atlanta .They were set up 2 rear grip 1 mid grip . Now factory gun 16'' barrel rem varmint contour chambering 6mm br , 6 X 47 lapua , 6.5 lapua , 22-250 ,7 saum . The action would probaly single shot . The stock would be a HS mid grip and it would be nice to see mcmillan bench style back .
June 11, 2017, 04:02 PM
nmhunter
I saw three rear grip Remington's, didn't see pictures of a center grip. Would like to see a picture of that one.
If I had to pick my wants:
Action (= to a defiance rebel action)
Single shot
Center grip
McMillan stock
Krieger,Bartlien or equivalent barrel
Heavy Palma
16" length
Holland ,Ross or hellfire brake
Defiance bolt release
Sake extractor

Oh and anything in a .284 or 6.5
Nothing fancy thumbup happy
June 11, 2017, 05:15 PM
DAN L
Just Duplicate a Stolle Cub
I believe this to be the best Pistol action made
The only way to make it better would be a drop port
It is too hard to make a complete Pistol to meet all needs
Stock. caliber, barrel depend on application to be used
Options to pick would be great

DAN
June 11, 2017, 06:46 PM
cletus
ditto what Dan said. The shilen BPS action rivals the stolle for smoothness. Im particular to lighter weight barrels 17 inch max in old guy non wrist wrencher calibers
June 11, 2017, 06:59 PM
big10
Mid-grip with a barrel nut system so one can change barrels with ease.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)
June 11, 2017, 08:03 PM
Jamie
So I was talking to one of the major manufacturers the other day and when I brought up a bolt pistol the conversation got going. Basically just looking to see if they made one what would the market look like and what would be the preferred setup.

June 11, 2017, 09:05 PM
MClark
Since we are dreaming.
I want a small action, both diameter and length, scaled to fit 223 Rem and 7.62X39 based cartridges.
Personally mine would be a 6.5 Grendel, 14", muzzle diameter 0.675 and of course stainless.
I realize the chance of this happening is slightly less than my traveling to Mars.

M
June 12, 2017, 09:26 AM
86alaskan
I'd love a right handed mid grip, left bolt, left port. 14-16" heavy varmint/sendero barrel threaded for brake or can. nice stiff short action single shot with side bolt release. has to have a good trigger.
June 12, 2017, 12:34 PM
Iowa Fox
Heck, I'd just like to see some of the parts that were available 10 years ago still for sale.
June 12, 2017, 07:37 PM
tinkerer
I would like my 284 win back.

Savage stainless model 12 repeater action with 308 bolt face in left/left.

McGowen 284 win in 17" stainless in Savage full bull with target crown.

I used a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock, cut off the butt stock.

Nice scope and rings and you're all set.

Should not have sold it, had to.

2nd place goes to the Savage Model 12 right/right in magnum action with 17" McGowen 7WSM in full bull. Again, used a cut down Choate Ultimate Sniper stock.

Simple, built like a rock, and sledgehammer effective.

I have my eye on a Savage Model 12 left/left in 300 WSM rifle right now. If I just could gather a few bucks together.

Oh, and that center grip conversion, working on it. Looking at an electric trigger from an air gun.

Larry
Tinkerer
June 12, 2017, 08:39 PM
Andy
Heck, it would be nice if Savage made the target action in left bolt right port.
I'd be happy with it and maybe the right cut down rifle stock.
June 12, 2017, 11:46 PM
Iowa Fox
quote:
Originally posted by Andy:
Heck, it would be nice if Savage made the target action in left bolt right port.
I'd be happy with it and maybe the right cut down rifle stock.

I'm with you on the target action LB RP Andy. On mine RB RP I used a choate with the hack saw treatment which actually turned out pretty decent for the price of it. The pistol grip isn't bad after I spent a lot of time with a file and put a aluminum plate on but the serrated forend with the upward tapper isn't for our type of shooting. I think Choate would sell a lot more stocks if they updated their design, something geared toward today's F class. The aluminum bedding block is a nice feature and the black material is indestructible.

As long as we have our pipe bowls filled dreaming, I'd like to find the stock cutter that has Neal Coopers cnc stock programs for his center core stocks. I know from reading all of Neal's posts here he or the company exists someplace. Tony and Jim See came along latter I believe.

How about it guys, anyone want to get the secret off their chest? E mail me if you do, I'll keep it a secret to myself.
June 13, 2017, 02:25 PM
Rog (Buttermilk421)
What I would want:

Bring back the Remington XP-100 mid-grip
A good synthetic stock, properly bedded.
Barrel profile medium to heavy contour (Bartlien #4 or similar), and of course, lighter contour if wanted/needed, and of course about 17.5" long on length....
Calibers from small to large (22 center fires on the bottom side to 45 Whompemstompem on the top side - but a 7 RSAUM seems perfect to me... Smile ).
And at a reasonable costs.

*I think I just described my own XP-100... Wink

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

June 13, 2017, 06:28 PM
KYODE
A reasonable priced, usable, basic model that functions ok as is, and in the most popular small/large bolt face cartridges would be a major accomplishment.

Come on fellers....you can customize em the way you want later....IF they were at least available as a basic gun. It would be nice if the old factory xp stock were improved a bit though.

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA
June 15, 2017, 04:12 PM
DeLotto
Honest?

I would love a center grip bolt-action 22lr.
June 15, 2017, 06:39 PM
old leghumper
quote:
Originally posted by DeLotto:
Honest?

I would love a center grip bolt-action 22lr.

Start looking for a Calfee - it is going to cost you but worth it.

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.
June 18, 2017, 09:41 PM
1/4miler
Hey Andy,
I have a LB-RP if your interested and have the $$$.

1/4miler
June 19, 2017, 04:46 PM
Andy
quote:
Originally posted by 1/4miler:
Hey Andy,
I have a LB-RP if your interested and have the $$$.

1/4miler

Is it a Savage target action, or a Striker action?
June 20, 2017, 09:00 AM
1/4miler
It is a Target Action
Also Has a Plain Knurled Bolt

Paul
June 20, 2017, 09:42 PM
Andy
quote:
Originally posted by 1/4miler:
It is a Target Action
Also Has a Plain Knurled Bolt

Paul

My email address is in my profile.
Could you send a few pics and some info to me.
Thanks, Andy
June 21, 2017, 06:27 PM
Iowa Fox
Here is what I'm asking for-

Who was the stock cutter that was cutting stocks for Neal Cooper?

It wasn't

N. Cooper
Tony G
Jim See
J Russo
SharpShooter.

Shoot me a PM or email if that person or company has that CNC program to cut stocks.
June 23, 2017, 11:57 AM
Jamie
Ok, so it is still as varied as ever.

Iowa Fox, I know the answer to your question let me see if it is ok with him to give it out.

June 23, 2017, 01:59 PM
Iowa Fox
Jamie, Promise to be like a priest at confession. I'm not wanting to go into the stock business, just wanting one or 2 semi finished for my own use. I appreciate anything you can do for me.

Jon
July 06, 2017, 05:19 PM
Iowa Fox
Well, I can't believe it. Just opened the box RB RP target action N Cooper stock unfinished Red & Black.