Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boomer XP build finished in the shop...... Login/Join 

posted
One of our member here contacted me a while back wanting and unique cartridge to run in an XP. Something larger and in the .338 family for elk, hogs and exotics. After discussing our options, I suggested the .338 Ruger Compact Magnum. Being designed to run against the .338 Win Mag, but in a shorter barrel, I figured she'd be an ideal thumper in an XP platform.

We started by going thru the action, squared everything up, added a PTG bolt release and fitted a new bolt from PTG. The bolt was their spiral fluted bolt, mag boltface with the M16 extractor. Lastly, we opened up our mount screws to 8-40.

Once we got the action lined out, we started with a #3B Bartlien contour barrel. We cropped her back to 17", crowned her and threaded her for a Holland brake. I suggested the Holland as I knew she'd be a handful.......

Next, we threaded and chambered her. After all the machine work was completed, she got a coated of Burnt Bronze Cerakote. We gave the bolt flutes a contrast in Graphite Black Cerakote, along with the bolt handle.

Lastly, we used one of Norm's stocks from Royal Arms. Once fitted, we made pillars and bedded her. Lastly, she got a high gloss finish.

Below are pics of the build.......

Action after machine work was completed.......

Stock and one of our pillars......

Good look at the action and bolt after coating......

Shop log and caliber engraving.......

The finished rig.......

Here she is as we rigged her for shooting. Rigged with a Vortex Viper PST FFP 2x10 in Vortex rings and Harris bipod. Weight, as pictured was 8 pounds on the nose.......

Next, we loaded up Hornady brass with the 180gr Nosler AB for testing. Seems like the hotter you ran her, the better the numbers got. Our hightest laod shot was just shy of max data and netted 2678fps with an ES of 10 and an SD of 5. Not bad and the accuracy was there. She wasn't quite as bad to shott as I thought either. The big Holland tamed her down.......

Here's our best group of the day........

As well, we got some video for you guys as well. Not too bad for a boomer.......

http://vid157.photobucket.com/...0rcm_zpsbgiugrhc.mp4

We ran the laods seated at a generic ten thousandths off the lands. A bit of tinkering and I see good things to come.......

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
That's nice! Great round to use congrats!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
It is not too late, but I would add two hardened dowel pins to the scope base. Wise investment with a boomer.

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Nice work!

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!!! thumbup thumbup
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
Jeremy, Just one word, EXCELLENT!!

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
thumbup nice work

Scott

Posts: 557 | Location: Goodyear,Arizona | Registered: January 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Jeremy,
Once again, very nice work thumbup

-Mike

Posts: 2291 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
In 1985 the rock band Heart had a big hit, "If Looks Could Kill." Well, w/ that classic song in mind, I anticipate this "boomer" will be a "killer." Big Grin I'm looking forward to some good hunting stories to come from this "killer!" thumbup

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1670 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Shaggy357
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Jeremy.

Next video wear your safety glasses. Don't want to be calling you the SP Pirate.

I like it.

Steve Smile
"Life is a play before an audience of one. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"

Posts: 1933 | Location: Washington  | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Very nice. The finish is outstanding. I really liked my 338 JDJ and wished all along that I had something like that in an XP. Everything I shot with my 338JDJ was dead right there. That rig you built is running a lot faster than my JDJ. It should be good out to 300 or 400 with that Accubond.
Great build. Giving me some ideas again. devil

Mike

: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 3079 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McClura:
Very nice. The finish is outstanding. I really liked my 338 JDJ and wished all along that I had something like that in an XP. Everything I shot with my 338JDJ was dead right there. That rig you built is running a lot faster than my JDJ. It should be good out to 300 or 400 with that Accubond.
Great build. Giving me some ideas again. devil

Mike

Thanks for the kind words fellas!!

Mike, the .338 RCM running the 180 AB will be hard on anything ya turn it loose on. With the AB traveling 2678 at the muzzle, running the numbers on my ballistic app, she'll be good out to about 425 yards for minimum velocity of 1800fps.

I was really pleased with how it turned out overall and pleased even more with how it shot. Recoil wasn't bad, at all with the big Holland. When I talked with and suggested the .338 RCM for the build, I figured she'd be the ticket in the shorter barrel XP. She's all you could ask for, without a doubt.

The customer and I will be stringing a few XP'S out this winter on an upcoming hunt. I'm anxious to see how the .338 performs.

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Wow that's nice work. A bolt action SP is on my short list, but it will take a couple years for me to get one.

Posts: 1620 | Location: Centerville, OH | Registered: April 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post