Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MOA 6.5x47 Lapua range report Login/Join 

posted
Well after almost buying Ernie's MOA and talking myself out of it, I bought one. I bought it from a friend (who never fired it), who bought it from his friend (who also never fired it), who bought it from a guy who wasn't happy with it. So to start with the gun was beautiful.

It shoot terrible the first time out. I decided to start from scratch. I tossed all of the fired brass that came with it. It also came with a second barrel in 6.5BR which had some issues. It had gouges and marks where the original owner wrenched it off.

I decided to just take it to my local gunsmith and had him fix the 6.5BR barrel, and look over the 6.5x47 barrel. He touched up the crown on the 6.5x47 barrel. The original owner expressed some concerns with the chamber but my smith felt everything was good there. I got me a few boxes of Hornady 123gr. Amaxs. I tried some Varget and some H4350 powders.
Here are 5 shots at 100 yards with the Varget.

Here are 5 with the H4350

The original owner I think was trying to just neck size which I found doesn't work well with the MOA extractor system. His first recommendation to me was to cut the barrel off and rechamber. Full length sizing allows the cases to just drop out. Right now I have a Burris 3x12 scope but may go to a rifle scope. Looks like this thing is gonna be fun and now shoots so good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga sixgunner,

Posts: 950 | Location: waycross,ga | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Gator T/C
posted Hide Post
Good looking pistol. No rifle scope? How did it shoot? Ant trouble with extraction?

Brad

------------------------------
Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 7x47(SSK),308 Bellm, .338 SSK Woodswalker (2),358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.243,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA .22LR, .243
XP-700LA .25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper

Posts: 1247 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Very well done. Good find and looks like a real good shooter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Great find congrats!!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
Looks like the scope base screws were too long. Make sure they do not touch the barrel or accuracy will suffer. Glad to see that the pistol ended up with someone who knows firearms.

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
Shoots sort of good. Might be able to kill a deer with it- big target.

Posts: 1867 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Good for you!
Great shooting.
Still haven't moved my switch barrel MOA, but no worries there.
I am more than content to keep it.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12188 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
OldLegHumper, the marks were way past where the scope base screws would come through. The barrel was just slightly to big for the frame opening. My smith turned it down just slightly and polished it.

Posts: 950 | Location: waycross,ga | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting ! If "You was to shoot at a groundhog sitting on a post " you might actually hit him with that set-up! laugh

Posts: 950 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa. Mike:
Nice shooting ! If "You was to shoot at a groundhog sitting on a post " you might actually hit him with that set-up! laugh

Or to shoot out of the car since that's what Rich designed it for. bolt

Posts: 1628 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Ha!

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12188 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Nice rig- Shoots great. Good luck when you go to the field.

Mike

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Great groups!! thumbup now get busy on load development!

Posts: 2065 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Great shooting, are you going to give doc a lesson or two. scratch head

Posts: 292 | Location: WV | Registered: September 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted Hide Post
Great setup and accurate too. I wish they'd start making them again, I need another.

Tim
------------------------------

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

Posts: 6999 | Location: Western NY | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post