Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Single shot build questions Login/Join 

posted
I was looking at the BATF form 1 last night and noticed, it had "handgun, rifle, and other (action, blah blah blah)". When we are building a specialty pistol, if they mark "other" is that ok, or do we need to talk them into marking handgun?

Posts: 73 | Location: California Mojave Desert | Registered: April 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
It makes no difference.

If it's just an action when you get it then it's just an action.

No manufacture can label and frame, recieved, or action as anything other than that until it's made into a completed product.

Posts: 4014 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ok....Thanks!

Since I am still living in Commifornia, I would guess I would just send an ammendment to my DROZ (firearms propaganda registry) that I built a specialty pistol out of that action, and let them know.

In 2 years we have a ammo registration similar to what Michigan has today. Where we can only buy the ammunition that is on our list.

Of course hopefully I'll be moving back to Wyoming or somewhere else awesome and it won't matter.

Posts: 73 | Location: California Mojave Desert | Registered: April 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where we can only buy the ammunition that is on our list.

Perhaps you should look into handloading?

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6522 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have been handloading for 20 years.

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muskox:
I have been handloading for 20 years.

In that case ammo registration shouldn't be a concern, no?

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6522 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
We don't know what the future will bring. One this is for certain, I hope to be long gone by the time they figure it out.

The liberals are fully aware of reloading, and know that it could be used as a regulation tool against us.

Picture of blades
posted Hide Post
Beg to differ a receiver or that portion which has the serial number is designated by the mfg as r p or other. only catch here is once designated as pistol can't go back. Unless the rules have changed a rifle designated receiver can be made into a pistol and reversed back to a rifle. The "other" which I would guess is a undesignated serial numbered component when finished would need to be designated at that point as r or p.

That has always been a catch 22 with the Contenders and Encores. I know there were some interactions between TC and the ATf concerning this way back.

Or maybe I got that backasswards been awhile

Posts: 530 | Location: WI | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of blades
posted Hide Post
Yep got it backwards pistol into rifle and back to pistol ok -rifle to pistol is no no.

Posts: 530 | Location: WI | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If it has at least a 16" barrel and an OAL of 26", it's still a rifle, no matter what it looks like.

Posts: 384 | Location: Northern California | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
YES! But if that 26 incher was registered as a pistol it becomes a rifle because you made it "qualify" as a rifle. The beauty is that it reverts to a pistol if you re-configure it. I registered my 12 SS Target single shot as a pistol though I have rifle stocks and barrels for it. I think this is a beautiful system.

Posts: 34 | Location: Eugene, Orygun | Registered: April 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
We're talking "Rifle Actions" here. If you build from a pistol action, (Striker)
the barrel can be any length you want.
If build on a rifle action,the barrel limit is 16"+ and the OAL of 26" or you have to deal with getting it registered as a "pistol" and paying the $$ to do so.
That's why I mentioned the 16" and 26" measurements. Stick with those and you're good to go.

Posts: 384 | Location: Northern California | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muskox:

In 2 years we have a ammo registration similar to what Michigan has today. Where we can only buy the ammunition that is on our list.

I've lived in Michigan all my life and that's the first I've heard of that, can you point me to where you found that info? I've got to admit, I've reloaded for every centerfire cal. I own for a little while now, but that's a new one to me that we can't buy ammo unless it's on some list.

Gary

Posts: 572 | Location: Michigan | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Maybe that was Illinois. There are states that have a ammo purchaser card. I had thought it was like Europe where you could only buy what you owned firearms in, thanks to their registration.

posted Hide Post
Is there any info that supports a theory that limiting the ammo purchase to being one for a gun you legally own will depress gun crimes?

A black comedian once suggested that gun homicides would be all but eliminated if the price of a bullet was $5,000. Got to admit that I agree on the outcome butt really.

Going out on a limb here with the assumption that there is precious little reloading in the ghetto and barrio. Of cartridges, that is.

Always thunkin

Posts: 34 | Location: Eugene, Orygun | Registered: April 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That assumption of $ 5000 for a bullet goes towards a crook paying anything for it or stealing it still making him a criminal that is still going to have a gun when the honest man doesn't !!

Posts: 1503 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: July 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You did get the "Comedian" part, right? Smile

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nor Cal Mikie:
We're talking "Rifle Actions" here. If you build from a pistol action, (Striker)
the barrel can be any length you want.
If build on a rifle action,the barrel limit is 16"+ and the OAL of 26" or you have to deal with getting it registered as a "pistol" and paying the $$ to do so.
That's why I mentioned the 16" and 26" measurements. Stick with those and you're good to go.

If it was manufactured as a rifle it will always be a Rifle! Getting a Tax stamp so you can make the barrel shorter than 16" or OAL of less than 26" makes it a Short barreled Rifle not a pistol!

Posts: 3563 | Location: Smithfield,NC | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
BUT, it "looks like a pistol".(SP) Cool That's what we're talking about. Wink

posted Hide Post
We are mincing words but I think we need to for clarity. A rifle is made as a rifle and a pistol as a pistol. The Striker was sold as a pistol. Back in the day when they made Strikers it was illegal to install a long barrel or rifle stock on a Striker because then the gun would be defined as a RIFLE. That law has changed and the change affects ONLY pistols and actions REGISTERED AS PISTOLS. My Striker can now be equiped as a rifle with a long barrel and/or rifle stock. I am told that it then morphs into a rifle when I do that as far as the Fed is concerned. I can then replace the rifle parts with pistol parts and it reverts to a pistol. It can then be cycled thru these definitions as many time as I wish. You cannot do this with rifles in the other direction as you need a special license.

NOW, when you First register a receiver for a rifle you fill out a form and declare the receiver to be part of a "RIFLE" and it becomes a rifle from there after. IF you check the box that says "PISTOL" then that receiver is a pistol and can be outfitted just like any Striker. The beauty is it can be converted to a rifle at your will and back to a Striker/pistol as you please. Why would anyone register a new receiver as anything but a pistol and lose the flexibility down the road? I have a lot of money in my SS Single Shot and it has been touched by FRED. Sweet!

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
This gets discussed and argued here a lot. This should help. I have this letter along with a copy of the verification letter from Remington stating that the serial numbered specific receiver was never manufactured into a rifle. That's all that is needed....no stamp.

CW
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!

www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -

Posts: 1227 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post