Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rear grip redoux....... Login/Join 

posted
Recently got a "new to me" rear grip in the shop here in 6BR. Now, most have a rear grip in about every sort of configuration out there. This one really wasn't any different on outwards appearance at first look, sat in an "ORANGE", I mean ORANGE rear grip McMillan stock. Was a center grip, single shot converted to rear grip, to include a rear grip style bolt and what appeared to be a Remington "Walker" trigger to round the action out. Was told she wore a 10 twist Shilen tube chambered in 6BR.

Aside from the color of the stock, I was impressed how well the 15 1/2" tubed XP felt in hand. I thought, "boy howdy, this'll make a great walking varmint rig". I tore her down to take a closer look at the action, that's when I spied, with my little eye, where the difference was. This XP had been given an integral lug where the forward action screw was located. I thought to myself that this was a pretty slick concept. No need for a recoil lug, forward of the receiver and making a switch barrel would be cake.

The lug needed a bit of TLC to clean her up and the receiver needed smoothing out in a few places, she was showing her age a bit. I cleaned up the lug area, smoothed over the receiver and cleaned her up.

Here's a pic of the receiver after we got her cleaned up......

A better look at the integral lug from the belly......

Next, the bbl got polished out and I blasted the action and gave her a coat of graphite black Cerakote. The bolt body got polished as well and handle and shroud were coated same as the receiver......

Next, I took a new McMillan rear grip stock in Green and White marble and set to work on her. I milled the stock for the integral lug first. I then cut a set of pillars, rear first tapped 10-32 to replace the oddball, smaller factory screw. I left her .025" proud to insure good bedding space for the stock. Next I cut the front pillar. I gave her a 1/2" boss to inlet into the stock with a 3/8" shank to make contact with the lug up front. Again, left it .025" proud as well to insure good bedding, plus the size of the forward pillar gives her plenty of meat up front as to support the action. Lastly, I turned a pillar for a bipod stud for the stock. The forward pillar was given a 1/2" shoulder to anchor her in the stock with a 1/4" shank that extends to flush with the forend. This insures the entire shank of the bipod stud is supported metal on metal.

Here's the stock with the pillars in place before bedding with the lug recess......

Bottom side view, note the bipod pillar out front.......

Next came the bedding. I bedded the barreled action before I left for work. She sat for a solid 8-9 hours and I popped her out the following morning. After a nap, I sat her in the mill and cleaned up the bedding.

Here she is before assembly.......

After assembly, I really liked the outcome. With the 4x16 Weaver V-Classic, she has a nice heft, but feels really good in hand.

Have several rounds loaded up with 70gr Nosler BT's to give a whirl here before long. I'm thinking I'm gonna like this little rig.........

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rig. thumbup thumbup Cant say that I have ever seen one with a integral lug before.

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1585 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of bowstryder
posted Hide Post
I like it! I think the integral lug idea is a good one as well.

Posts: 445 | Location: waynesboro, va | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Nice package!....scope n all.
I would really like to turn my 7br xp into something i like. A 6br, or most likely .243 so when handed down the recipient could shoot factory ammo.
Money stands between me n getting it done. Roll Eyes one of these days hopefully.

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9430 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Jeremy,
That turned out really nice thumbup You will really like the 6BR Big Grin

Well done!

-Mike

Posts: 2292 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
I really like that pistol!!! I never new any were ever made like that. Thanks for sharing!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leupold Man:
I really like that pistol!!! I never new any were ever made like that. Thanks for sharing!

Not problem and thanks. This one was modified and the lug had been added. Was a first for me as well.

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice little write up..... looks good thumbup

Scott

Posts: 557 | Location: Goodyear,Arizona | Registered: January 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Excellent!!!!
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Law Dog

Care to tell more info on how the lug was put on, welded?

Tia,
Don

--------------------------------
"Any person that fears me owning a firearm, then I have reason to fear that person"
--------------------------------
NRA Life Member
Sturm/Ruger Armours School-State of Nevada POST-Remington/ S&W Armour Schools-NRA Certified Range Master-State of Nevada POST Range Master-Jaycor Certified Pepperball Instructor-OC Pepper Spray Instructor-Tazer Instructor-NRA Law Enforcement Armours School-Lassen College LE Armours School-NRA Police Firearms Instructor Development School
Nam "Oct 67-Dec 68"
173rd ABN 2/503rd "Recon"
Retired 10/01/2009, 36+yrs

Posts: 1239 | Location: Western NV | Registered: August 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Don, appears to have been tig welded to the receiver

Picture of HandCanonShootr
posted Hide Post
Very Nice! With my 10Twist 6BR, 87gr Vmax shoot well. With the 87g VMAXs & RL15 or Varget, my Blue reargrip made several hits at 918 yds at WY-Shot 2015, and a 680yd gong was almost boring to shoot, almost. Love the stock & your bedding work.

Mike B

----------------------------
Everything in excess!
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.

-Lazarus Long

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth—
This was the ancient Law of Youth.
Old times are past, Old days are done:
But the Law runs True, O Little Son!

-Charles T. Davis

Posts: 1526 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: December 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HandCanonShootr:
Very Nice! With my 10Twist 6BR, 87gr Vmax shoot well. With the 87g VMAXs & RL15 or Varget, my Blue reargrip made several hits at 918 yds at WY-Shot 2015, and a 680yd gong was almost boring to shoot, almost. Love the stock & your bedding work.

Mike B

Thanks Mike, I remember spotting for you at WY-SHOT and watching you smack steel with your BR

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
Nice work,looks great ! Does McMillian still make rear grip XP stocks ?

Posts: 944 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I don't think they offer a rear grip anymore.

posted Hide Post
The little 6BR is gonna be a sweet little rig. Below are two 3 shot groups shot at 100 yards. Load was a 70gr Nosler Ballistic Tip loaded over Varget

posted Hide Post
That'll do!

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
quote:
That'll do!

Yep!! Big Grin

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post