Specialty Pistols
My Bolt-action Mare's Leg Concept

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/7610097186

February 14, 2016, 08:40 PM
C0RLoCK
My Bolt-action Mare's Leg Concept
Hi all, I just joined the group today to meet with some enlightened individuals in regards to hunting handguns. I have a dream in mind and hopefully, with your advice I can bring it to life when the funds come together.

So far I've narrowed the pieces down to the following:
Remington 700 Short action reciever
Lower metal for detachable magazine
Trigger (trigger assembly)
2 Savage prefit barrels 16.5-18" (was thinking about 308 & smaller)
Chopped wooden stock (not pistol gripped but stubbed like a Henry mare's leg)
Pistol scope (burris or Leopold 4x) for recoil

So far I haven't figured out exactly what pieces are required to make the gun usable. I've seen all sorts of components but I don't know the basic things I need to keep the budget low. Here are some composite pictures to give you an idea, any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: C0RLoCK,
February 14, 2016, 09:55 PM
TXBRASS
Handgun can be built from a virgin 700 action without a stamp, but if the pistol stock is "shoulderable" then your run it some issues.... I believe the design of thst stock is to be able to shoulder it.


CW
**********************
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!



www.codyweiser.com



- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -
February 14, 2016, 10:19 PM
jsh
I have to ask why. I mean when there are so many alternatives to make it a pistol from the get go. The picture of the chopped rifle stock, I think will give less than desirable results, at least with that design of stock.


---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!
February 14, 2016, 10:32 PM
TXBRASS
To tell u the truth, by looking at your design and wanted barrel length, just buy the weapon of choice, shorten the stock, and you will have exactly what is shown in the picture and it will still be classified as a rifle because legal OAL will still be intact.


CW
**********************
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!



www.codyweiser.com



- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -
February 15, 2016, 10:36 AM
C0RLoCK
quote:
Originally posted by TXBRASS:
To tell u the truth, by looking at your design and wanted barrel length, just buy the weapon of choice, shorten the stock, and you will have exactly what is shown in the picture and it will still be classified as a rifle because legal OAL will still be intact.


The reasoning behind wanting to build it custom, is to avoid filing for an SBR.

quote:
Originally posted by jsh:
I have to ask why. I mean when there are so many alternatives to make it a pistol from the get go. The picture of the chopped rifle stock, I think will give less than desirable results, at least with that design of stock.


Technically speaking, even the mare's leg can be shouldered, but it still registered as a handgun. Is there a certain length where a gunstock stocks qualifying as a rifle stock? As for why... it may seem trivial, but I'm in love with the shape of the mare's leg, it has a balanced look that I would like to replicate. Could you please explain why the results would be less than desirable? Thank you for your quick responses!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: C0RLoCK,
February 15, 2016, 10:49 AM
TXBRASS
You say in your initial.post thst you want barrel length to be between 16.5-18" which is still legal rifle length. With that length of barrel, on a 700 OR 110 rifle, you can "mare leg" the stock and still not fall below the legal minimum OAL length required by law so therefore no stamp is needed and you have what u want.


CW
**********************
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!



www.codyweiser.com



- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -
February 15, 2016, 10:54 AM
TXBRASS
Moat guys here are either hunters or target shooter's (or both) but most everyone is really into precision.
For precision and repeatable accuracy from a scoped handgun, you need a steady rest, repeatable solid grip, and good follow thru. The mares leg design is not by design, set-up for any of that.

The old saying "form follows function" comes to mind.....


CW
**********************
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!



www.codyweiser.com



- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -
February 15, 2016, 11:07 AM
40xmike
CORLoCK,
First of all, welcome to SP! Hi
Maybe with a little more explanation as to what the end product is that you are looking for, you would get more feedback on ideas from other members here Big Grin
Where in Oregon are you located?
It would be fun to put some more traditional SP's in your hands to shoot!
I think we could make a full on SP convert out of you koolaid

-Mike
February 15, 2016, 11:33 AM
rickiesrevenge
I've built a gun very similar to that. There were a few differences. Its a 300win mag, 24" barrel, ross muzzle brake, and has factory BDL bottom metal.

I've fired the gun from the prone position. Didn't really think it was that difficult to shoot. But its definitely different than the SP's I'm used to shooting. There is no way I'd shoot it without a brake. The angle of the grip wouldn't allow your hand to stop the gun. SP stocks allow you to get the web of your hand behind the grip and that allows you to stop the gun from smashing into your face. You might get away with it in a mare's leg but unless your willing to shoot small cartridges I think you need the brake.


Aaron
February 15, 2016, 01:10 PM
C0RLoCK
Thank you Mike, it's good to be here. I'm based out of Grants Pass, and if somebody was nearby I'd love to go shooting!

I will give you an example of how this gun would be used. Seeing as how this qualifies as neither handgun nor rifle it fits into both categories. The way I see it, if I want to make long range accurate shots, I would use a rifle, if I wanted to make short range accurate shots, I would use a handgun. The purpose of this firearm would be to cover the middle ranges, in my opinion between 200 and 400 yards. I like to think of it as a survival rifle, to be carried in a pack or thigh holster, easy to carry, easy to wield, and light enough to save energy on long hikes.

On youtube, there is an excellent video on how to shoot a mare's leg, the concept being to fire it like a rifle with an imaginary stock. Not against the shoulder but with the front arm straight and the rear arm at 90 degrees. I'm not looking to win competitions in in speed, nor accuracy, but to simply have the gun and develop my skills with it to serve my purposes.

I say this not to shoot down your advice, but to share with you the context. Once again, thank you for your advice and quick responses.
February 15, 2016, 01:14 PM
40xmike
quote:
Originally posted by C0RLoCK:
Thank you Mike, it's good to be here. I'm based out of Grants Pass, and if somebody was nearby I'd love to go shooting!

I will give you an example of how this gun would be used. Seeing as how this qualifies as neither handgun nor rifle it fits into both categories. The way I see it, if I want to make long range accurate shots, I would use a rifle, if I wanted to make short range accurate shots, I would use a handgun. The purpose of this firearm would be to cover the middle ranges, in my opinion between 200 and 400 yards. I like to think of it as a survival rifle, to be carried in a pack or thigh holster, easy to carry, easy to wield, and light enough to save energy on long hikes.

On youtube, there is an excellent video on how to shoot a mare's leg, the concept being to fire it like a rifle with an imaginary stock. Not against the shoulder but with the front arm straight and the rear arm at 90 degrees. I'm not looking to win competitions in in speed, nor accuracy, but to simply have the gun and develop my skills with it to serve my purposes.

I say this not to shoot down your advice, but to share with you the context. Once again, thank you for your advice and quick responses.


Well darn,
I'm in Grants Pass too Big Grin
If you ever want to shoot some SP's at all distances just for giggles, get a hold of me, and we can set something up thumbup

-Mike
February 15, 2016, 01:56 PM
C0RLoCK
quote:
Originally posted by TXBRASS:
You say in your initial.post thst you want barrel length to be between 16.5-18" which is still legal rifle length. With that length of barrel, on a 700 OR 110 rifle, you can "mare leg" the stock and still not fall below the legal minimum OAL length required by law so therefore no stamp is needed and you have what u want.


Following up on your info,
From Wikipedia : Short-barreled rifle (SBR) is a legal designation in the United States, referring to a shoulder-fired, rifled firearm with a barrel length of less than 16 inches (40.6 cm) or overall length of less than 26 inches (66.0 cm).
Also from Wikipedia: a stock full length Remington 700 41.5 in (1055 mm) long.

You are saying that with a 16.5 inch barrel and approximately 8 - 10 inches removed from the stock it wouldn't be less than 26"? If that's the case I'll make it 16 inches lol! Truth be told, I might just do that, but I also would like to have 1 for handgun season. Thanks for your input!
February 15, 2016, 02:10 PM
TXBRASS
Depends on the cofiguration. As long as you are over OAL and barrel length requirements together, u are GTG and it's a rifle legally.

Get with Mike.... U won't find a better guy and he has plenty toys to introduce u to and get U hooked.... koolaid

Welcome to SP!!!


CW
**********************
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!



www.codyweiser.com



- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -
February 15, 2016, 02:18 PM
C0RLoCK
quote:
Originally posted by 40xmike:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by C0RLoCK:QUOTE]

Well darn,
I'm in Grants Pass too Big Grin
If you ever want to shoot some SP's at all distances just for giggles, get a hold of me, and we can set something up thumbup

-Mike


Wow! Small world! That would be a lot of fun, we'll have to put something together sometime soon.
February 15, 2016, 03:12 PM
Smokin7mm
quote:
Originally posted by C0RLoCK:
Thank you Mike, it's good to be here. I'm based out of Grants Pass, and if somebody was nearby I'd love to go shooting!

I will give you an example of how this gun would be used. Seeing as how this qualifies as neither handgun nor rifle it fits into both categories. The way I see it, if I want to make long range accurate shots, I would use a rifle, if I wanted to make short range accurate shots, I would use a handgun. The purpose of this firearm would be to cover the middle ranges, in my opinion between 200 and 400 yards. I like to think of it as a survival rifle, to be carried in a pack or thigh holster, easy to carry, easy to wield, and light enough to save energy on long hikes.

On youtube, there is an excellent video on how to shoot a mare's leg, the concept being to fire it like a rifle with an imaginary stock. Not against the shoulder but with the front arm straight and the rear arm at 90 degrees. I'm not looking to win competitions in in speed, nor accuracy, but to simply have the gun and develop my skills with it to serve my purposes.

I say this not to shoot down your advice, but to share with you the context. Once again, thank you for your advice and quick responses.



First off, Welcome to SP
Secondly, as stated above, since you are both in Grants Pass, get with Mike. Mike is good people as well as a good friend. He will definitely disprove your statement of "if I want to make long range accurate shots, I would use a rifle" Big Grin
Been shooting with Mike for years in IHMSA silhouette and the last few years with the Long range rigs. Nothing like busting a rockchuck at 500-800 yards and feeling confident about being able to make the shot. Now I will be a little jealous if he lets you shoot the 28 Nosler before I get to during our rockchuck trip in April. laugh

Bret


IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director
February 15, 2016, 07:55 PM
C0RLoCK
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
I've built a gun very similar to that. There were a few differences. Its a 300win mag, 24" barrel, ross muzzle brake, and has factory BDL bottom metal.

I've fired the gun from the prone position. Didn't really think it was that difficult to shoot. But its definitely different than the SP's I'm used to shooting. There is no way I'd shoot it without a brake. The angle of the grip wouldn't allow your hand to stop the gun. SP stocks allow you to get the web of your hand behind the grip and that allows you to stop the gun from smashing into your face. You might get away with it in a mare's leg but unless your willing to shoot small cartridges I think you need the brake.

Aaron


Do you have any pictures? I appreciate your advice on the grip, I'll try to figure something out for that. And as for the break, I was either going to go that route or use a suppressor with a shorter barrel. I'm liking the look of the 308 for short barrels at the ranges I plan to be shooting. Thank you for your comments Aaron!
February 15, 2016, 11:19 PM
C0RLoCK
I think I may have solved the grip issue, and possibly the OAL to qualify it more as a handgun.


.......

Would this work? I think I could cut off some of the forend to balance it out a bit.
February 15, 2016, 11:33 PM
deepwater
Besides trimming the forend, I feel that a flush 5 shot magazine would lend the appearance more of a Josh Randall (Steve McQueen) Mares Leg in "Wanted Dead or Alive".

deepwater
February 16, 2016, 07:33 AM
C0RLoCK
Perfect! Because that's what I'm going for. It sounds like I'm getting closer, thanks!

Also, if anyone keeps seeing the black cushion at the butt of the stock in all my pics and thinks that I plan to shoulder it, know that Im not. I'm only putting it there for cosmetic appearance for the picture. In reality I would simply place a plastic, rubber or some other kind of cap on it to cover and protect where I made the cut.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: C0RLoCK,
February 16, 2016, 07:50 AM
TXBRASS
Corlock,

Best advice I can give you is to set up a range hour or 2 with Mike there in Grants Pass....... check out his SP's.......drink a few good swigs of the SP COOLAID and then decide what direction you want to go in. You will be hooked guaranteed.

Good luck on your Mares Leg build. I love when folks think outside the box.... Keep us updated....


CW
**********************
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!



www.codyweiser.com



- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -
February 16, 2016, 08:08 AM
C0RLoCK
I agree, so far I'm liking the direction it's going. But until I truly get the SP experience I won't know what I'm dealing with, the concept is there, now comes field experience!
Thanks all, you've been awesome. I'll keep you posted on where this goes from here.

Oh, BTW Cody. The first handgun other than the XP-100 and single shot Contender that I found while searching for a bolt action hunting pistol that I actually liked, just happened to be your CYCLOPS pistol, so thanks for giving me the itch... I blame you.... Lol. Great job on that one, if I turn into a SP junkie, just know that you were my first dealer lmao

This message has been edited. Last edited by: C0RLoCK,
February 16, 2016, 08:17 AM
TXBRASS
Yep.....doing what i can to spread the sickness....

Ernie gave me the itch and then Mike gave me the SP hives!....

BEWARE: There's no cure.... happy


CW
**********************
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!



www.codyweiser.com



- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -
February 16, 2016, 08:31 AM
C0RLoCK
And I'm sure that more cowbell only makes it worse... Lol bolt
February 16, 2016, 10:34 AM
40xmike
quote:
Originally posted by C0RLoCK:
And I'm sure that more cowbell only makes it worse... Lol bolt


CORLoCK,
Sent you an email about a range day thumbup

Cody,
Sorry about the hives! devil

-Mike
February 16, 2016, 10:57 AM
TXBRASS
Mike,

What hives???....Im totally fine!



Troll


CW
**********************
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!



www.codyweiser.com



- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -
February 16, 2016, 11:34 AM
Ernie
I'm glad I will not be blamed laugh for this one

quote:
Originally posted by C0RLoCK:
I agree, so far I'm liking the direction it's going. But until I truly get the SP experience I won't know what I'm dealing with, the concept is there, now comes field experience!
Thanks all, you've been awesome. I'll keep you posted on where this goes from here.

Oh, BTW Cody. The first handgun other than the XP-100 and single shot Contender that I found while searching for a bolt action hunting pistol that I actually liked, just happened to be your CYCLOPS pistol, so thanks for giving me the itch... I blame you.... Lol. Great job on that one, if I turn into a SP junkie, just know that you were my first dealer lmao



Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
February 16, 2016, 06:54 PM
nmhunter
Ernie, just wait the blame will eventually get to you laugh it always does!!!!!
Nmhunter devil made me say that
Just when I think I am cured along comes a new toy hammer