Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BCG 280AI XP Draws First Blood Login/Join 

Picture of Ernie
posted
BCG 280 Ackley Improved XP-100. This custom XP-100 shoots so good, and everyone who has shot it loves it.
I finally was able to draw first blood with it on Friday morning. I used the 140 grain Accubond at 2961 ft./s. I set the magnification between seven and eight power, since I expected a close shot, and wanted a greater field of view. I also checked my parallax adjustment as well.
The beauty of the country we live in is, you can see forever, but at times it can be challenging, because they can see you too. It took me some time to figure out how to be able to make the stalk, and him not see me. I had terrain (creek bottom) and sage brush in my advantage, but the wind was almost coming from my back, so I knew there was a chance that could create a problem.
I had to be exposed slightly for a short period of time, before I got down into the creek/draw bottom, but I was far enough away, and he was looking the other direction, so it was not a problem.
I shot this buck at 204 yards. I crawled around 150 yards and then stomach crawled somewhere between 35 and 50 yards to make the shot. I had an opening in the sagebrush to my left, and I had almost made it to the stage, when the buck started moving to my left. Since I was on public\state land, and in a little bit he was going to be crossing on to private land, it was time to get things done.
The gun is so capable of shooting so much further, but the stalk was fun.
I am looking forward to shooting the 160 class bullets out of this, and see how it compares with my 284 Winchester XP-100’s.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Longer a Member of SP

posted Hide Post
Well-done, Ernie. Congrats!

Posts: 4730 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Very well done Sir. That's a nice look rig.
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 333 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: May 19, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Congrats Ernie nice buck!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine trophy Ernie!

Posts: 944 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Good details of the hunt. Nice goat.

Mike

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Good job Ernie.

Posts: 467 | Location: Central east coast Florida.  | Registered: November 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1837 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
Congrats Ernie! I have had the good fortune to hunt a lot of different animals in a lot of places and pronghorns are still a favorite.

------------------------------
I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 2155 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That country out there has a beauty all it's own. Congrats.

What powder are you using with that Accubond?

"The World Spins Forward"

Posts: 2749 | Location: lake of the ozarks, mo. | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Just noticed this couple of months late. Love the country and congrats on the antelope.

Posts: 761 | Location: Idaho | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! This season has definitely been different for me than what I expected in a lot of ways.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Beautiful country. Great story and pics Ernie. How is pronghorn for eating. Here in Indiana it's corn fed whitetail deer. Always wondered how the venison is for you guys out west who have access to mule deer, pronghorn, elk, etc. Looks like a lot of good times for you!

Posts: 564 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: March 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
Congrats Ernie and thanks for sharing your story! A Pronghorn hunt is at the top of my wishlist

Chris

Posts: 695 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norm Rep:
Beautiful country. Great story and pics Ernie. How is pronghorn for eating. Here in Indiana it's corn fed whitetail deer. Always wondered how the venison is for you guys out west who have access to mule deer, pronghorn, elk, etc. Looks like a lot of good times for you!

Of the three animals, antelope is #3 on preference of taste for me. For other people like Steve Hugel, he like it better than elk.
I have had some awesome antelope meat, and some is more gamey tasting.
Elk is my favorite of the three, but last years mule deer was some of the best deer meat ever.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
When you have a chance try Blacktail.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3510 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Congrats Earnie.Nice looking lope.

Posts: 922 | Location: Ga. | Registered: January 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your first animal taken with your
280 AI

Posts: 2061 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Very nice Ernie. Thanks for sharing.
IMHO the extra effort put in the stalk followed by a great shot made the hunt.

Dave

Posts: 12 | Location: High Desert, CA. | Registered: April 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post