Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle Brake Adhesive Login/Join 

posted
Anyone using red Loctite or Rocksett on the threads to keep the brake in place?

Posts: 57 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have never seen or heard of anyone using any type of thread locker on a brake. They are generally removed to clean the barrel, so why lock it down? If it is correctly installed, it should never loosen by firing.

Posts: 17 | Location: East Coast | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
I've had a few that work loose. I use the blue Loctite with no issues on those. It shouldn't require/need anymore than that.

Rick

Posts: 3286 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yes. I use rocksett on the ones that are also suppressor mounts. If you don't it'll spin off with the can if you tried to take it off while warm. I think whats happening is the different metals expand at different rates locking the can to the brake.

Aaron

Posts: 2645 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
Yes. I use rocksett on the ones that are also suppressor mounts. If you don't it'll spin off with the can if you tried to take it off while warm. I think whats happening is the different metals expand at different rates locking the can to the brake.

Aaron

From what I've read, the rocksett really sets up hard and makes it very difficult to remove if needed.

Have you ever tried to remove the attachment after using the rocksett?

Posts: 57 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
I use blue Loctite on all of mine.
-Derek

Posts: 805 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I use red. Just takes some heat to get it off

Owner
Bayside Custom Gunworks
www.baysidecustomgunworks.com

Posts: 3739 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I haven't, but you put the part in boiling water and it comes right off. At least according to friends who use the same.

Posts: 2645 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
The manufacturer states that the only way to remove a part is to soak it in hot water. Heat alone won’t work.

Posts: 853 | Location: Valley of the Sun | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I used blue locktite and a jam nut on my JP Eliminator on a 308 encore barrel...not sure if it needed the locktite but I figured why not.

Chris

Posts: 457 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
I never had a muzzle brake loosen up. I made sure there was a tight fit between both sets of threads. I also used molybendium grease so the threads would not sieze...Not rocket science, just careful machining.

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Gator T/C
posted Hide Post
I have had a few of the more effective brakes loosen up. Most recently on my 300 Win mag with a self timing brake. It was a fairly thin barrel so I used 9/16-28 threads and I had good class III threads but it still loosened on me twice so I used Blue Loctite and have not had the issue repeat.

Brad

------------------------------
Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 308 Bellm, 358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA[b] .22LR, .243
[b]XP-700LA
.25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper

Posts: 1195 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Knucklehead 61
posted Hide Post
Haven't needed thread locker on a brake [yet]. I'd use blue Locktite, if necessary and up the game to red or such if that didn't do the job. No need to make extra work for yourself.

Posts: 28 | Location: south of the piney woods | Registered: December 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post