Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite non-direction brake? Login/Join 

Picture of big10
posted
I may be finally getting around to addressing my switch barrel Striker project. Have had the stainless steel action for a while but too many irons in the fire. I'm not looking for a brake that needs to be indexed so a Ross style is not gonna work. Planning on 284 Win and 450 BM barrels for right now. I like what I see on the Harrell's website, especially the prices, but don't know about quality and such. What brake(s) would y'all reccommend for the above chamberings, that don't need to indexed?

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I put a harrels brake on a buddy's striker. It turned out ok, but they come a bit rough compared to the other brakes I've used. They are ok for the money. There are a few brakes on the market now that allow you to index the brake yourself. I know bugholes.com sells one.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Shaggy357
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of TC barrels with brakes that are not indexed. They are not fun when shooting prone in desert type setting. Off the bench or over a good rest they are ok most of the time. Muzzle blast can throw lots of debris. A braked muzzle probably increases the amount of debris 10 fold, if not indexed...

A big shootzenboomer like you have listed is going to throw a lot of dirt if you are anywhere close to the ground. Not trying to sway your choice, just providing more info to weight the options. The cost of replacement shooting glasses and removal of sand from rosey cheeks more than out-weights the time and cost to index a good brake.

Steve Smile
---------------------------------
"Life is a play before an audience of one. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"

Posts: 1933 | Location: Washington  | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
A big shootzenboomer like you have listed is going to throw a lot of dirt if you are anywhere close to the ground.

Not a problem as I won't be shooting prone from the turf, but thanks for the info.

thumbup Rod

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are a few brakes on the market now that allow you to index the brake yourself. I know bugholes.com sells one.

I'll have to look into that, thanks Smile

thumbup Rod

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
I put a harrels brake on a buddy's striker. It turned out ok, but they come a bit rough compared to the other brakes I've used. They are ok for the money. There are a few brakes on the market now that allow you to index the brake yourself. I know bugholes.com sells one.

Aaron

Good info Aaron. I've been brake shopping for a barrel that should be done right after the first of the year. I've sure given the self timing brakes some thought but wonder just how close to perfectly centered to the bore the hole in the end of the brake will align. I know actual thread pitch would determine just how much wobble the brake might have. Have you had any empirical experience with the self timing brakes? All I want out of a brake is maximum reduction of rearward movement and no reduction of accuracy to the barrel caused by the brake. I don't care how loud they are. If you have to send one out to get it indexed the transportation alone both ways will eat you up.

Here's one Ross's pal makes. Know of anyone that has used them?
http://www.muzzlebrakesandmore...elf_Timed_Brakes.php

Jon

Posts: 1612 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of bowstryder
posted Hide Post
Go look at APA gen 2 fat and little bastards. They are self indexing and are the best in the market behind ONLY the Alamo 4 star. As tested by precisionshooting.com. (good read if you get the chance).
I have a fat bastard on my .338LM rifle and I've let kids shoot it......the little bastard is going on my dasher and 284 builds.

Posts: 445 | Location: waynesboro, va | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
I still like radial brakes especially the ones I made. Holes were angled 20° to the rear. Dust and dirt in the face was not an issue because I used a weighted ground cloth to eliminate any blow back(HOW HARD IS THAT?)

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1507 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
for a radial....Vias

Posts: 4009 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have not used the self timing brakes. Personally I think its better to have it done with as few variables as possible. If you put the barrel on your savage you can send it to ross with the top dead center marked an he'll install one of his brakes.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of captain John
posted Hide Post
I also really like Vais,top Quality machining. Not offensive offense to shooting around you.As always you get what you pay for

IHMSA Industry Director
IHMSA Region 5 Director
Minnesota State IHMSA Director
IHMSA 39199Life
NRA life Member

Posts: 416 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post