Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 RSAUM velocities in an XP-100? Login/Join 

posted
Anyone here running said chambering? Had considered a 7-08, then thought about 284. Now I am thinking a 7 RSAUM would really fit the bill.

Can anyone supply velocities?

Posts: 4 | Location: Deer Park, Tx | Registered: May 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Rogillio:
Anyone here running said chambering? Had considered a 7-08, then thought about 284. Now I am thinking a 7 RSAUM would really fit the bill.

Welcome!
What bullet weight are you considering?

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12168 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Hi Doug,
I'm at 2695 using 160 Accubonds and 4831SC in my HS Precision. A bit faster using H1000. But the accuracy isn't there. I'm sure I could push the 4831 a bit faster as I have zero pressure signs, but hesitate to do so as I am getting 1/2 MOA groups or better the way it is.
Good luck!
Derek >>>---------->

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Not a SAUM, just a lowly 7 WSM, with an 18” bbl
I get 2750 w/168 Berger VLD and 2900 w/150 Lapua Scenar.
I use H4831, old school powder. Remington 9 1/2 primers.

Remember that individual barrels have their own preferences and barrel length affects velocity. IMHO accuracy is better than speed. These are the velocities that I find accuracy.

Posts: 48 | Location: Green River, wy | Registered: October 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
With the 160 weight class bullets the 15-16” xp average between 2600-2700.

The 284 with the same bullet would be 2500-2600

Posts: 3992 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a 7mm-6.5 Rem Mag MOA pistol with a 14 inch barrel. Case capacity should be pretty close to the SAUM.

Using 140 grain bullets, I was getting in the 2750 fps range with easy extraction- a must in the MOA.

If that helps at all.

I don't think you can go wrong with anything from the 7-08 to the 284 to the 7 SAUM or 280AI. Of those, the 284 is probably the easiest for quality dies and brass.

Posts: 90 | Location: TX | Registered: September 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
I have an HS-Precision VP-100 Handgun with a 16" barrel plus brake in 7 mm saum. It can shoot way better than I can and it loves 150 grain LR Accubonds and 160 grain Accubonds over a charge of H4831sc. To me it's an excellent caliber choice in an XP. 2cents

Posts: 938 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Left Hand Dave
posted Hide Post
I get around 2,850-2,900 with H-4350 and a 143 grain Hammer Hunter out of a 17” barrel.

Posts: 451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:
quote:

Welcome!
What bullet weight are you considering?

Prefer 150’s, but would go 140’s if necessary.

Posts: 4 | Location: Deer Park, Tx | Registered: May 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Doug,
Some reference-My 280AI XP-100 that Chris recently built for me (18" barrel) with Factory Nosler ammo - 140 AB's have a MV of 2961 fps, with awesome accuracy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ernie,

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12168 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:

What length barrel?

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bi**0:
quote:

What length barrel?

Thinking I'd like to go with 14"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:
Doug,
Some reference-My 280AI XP-100 that Chris recently built for me (18" barrel) with Factory Nosler ammo - 140 AB's have a MV of 2961 fps, with awesome accuracy.

Very nice!! Is that a McMillan stock? Are they still offering them since their change in management?

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is a McMillan, and yes, I still have them coming in.
I do have one in stock that is the same as I have on my 7mm Dakota XP-100 below.
Email me if interested.
ernieemily@yahoo.com
https://youtu.be/pDPx5sh8kPg
https://youtu.be/cRfCxi1oU4A

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
Thinking of doing a saum or a 280AI 17" for !75-180.Ernie,what would the throats on those two be,as to compare.What twist rate would you suggest?
Who has brass in stock for those cartridges?Good ,available brass is a big factor nowadays in deciding.
Shooting a "lowly" throated 16" 7mm WSM now,it still shoots 162 eld-m's 2780fps 5/8" at 200.I don't have a problem with the short neck or inefficiency others comment,biggest issue is the win brass is poor, my blue bag wsm brass was a lot of work,newer red bag seems worse.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hoof hearted,

Posts: 28 | Location: kansas | Registered: November 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hoof hearted:
Thinking of doing a saum or a 280AI 17" for !75-180.Ernie,what would the throats on those two be,as to compare.What twist rate would you suggest?
Who has brass in stock for those cartridges?Good ,available brass is a big factor nowadays in deciding.
Shooting a "lowly" throated 16" 7mm WSM now,it still shoots 162 eld-m's 2780fps 5/8" at 200.I don't have a problem with the short neck or inefficiency others comment,biggest issue is the win brass is poor, my blue bag wsm brass was a lot of work,newer red bag seems worse.

1-9 twist will take care of those bullet weights easily-9T easily handles the 180 Berger Hybrid.
If you want to play with some of the heavier bullets later on a 8T or 8.5T won't hurt anything.
But for what you want a 1-9T is what I would suggest.
If you want to set up a specific throat for your XP, for several 175 and 18 grain bullets. Seat some dummy rounds, to where the beginning of the boattail (not the base of it) is at the neck shoulder juncture with the different brand/weight bullets in the 175 to 180 class, and then come up with a compromise case head to ogive. This may cost you a bit more to do as the smith may need to use a throater (Not sure on that).
I just started with Nosler brass, using factory ammo (I also have some Nosler factory with a160 AB's that I have not shot yet).
Most guys already chambering these for a XP's, may have a reamer that will work great to begin with. It doesn't really bother me to seat the bullet deeper. I have not had any problems with that.
I couldn't be happier with my 280AI that Chris built me.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22