Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage strike cartridge limit Login/Join 

posted
What is the maximum case lengh that a savage striker can be chambered in? I'm thinking that I want to get another barrel for my striker in 338edge match but I wasn't sure this could be done.

Posts: 94 | Location: Indianapolis,In | Registered: November 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of bfr4570
posted Hide Post
.358hammer is who you need to talk with. Hes put all kinds of monster Strikers together.

=====================
THIS SPOT FOR RENT CASH ONLY
TRUST ME IT DOESN'T KICK THAT HARD Smile

Posts: 1466 | Location: Your guess is as good as mine | Registered: January 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
There was a thread not too long ago called how big is too big. Should answer your question.
Aaron

Posts: 2752 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You can practically run any length cartridge. Albeit, you may have to remove the bolt to remove a loaded round. My XP is chambered in .300 WSM, ejects spent brass fine. However, I have to remove the bolt to eject a loaded cartridge.

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Good to know! I just wanted something with a BIG boom. What barrel lengh would you guys recommend for a 338 edge match? I think I am going to get it with a heavy varmint contour. It's going to be mainly a target barrel unless I take a trip out west for elk or mule deer. I just feel that it's too big of a cartridge to use here in Indiana for deer and be safe at the same time.

Posts: 94 | Location: Indianapolis,In | Registered: November 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of bfr4570
posted Hide Post
Heres a XP in 338AX (lapua Mag Imp) it has a 18.5" barrel.

=====================
THIS SPOT FOR RENT CASH ONLY
TRUST ME IT DOESN'T KICK THAT HARD Smile

Posts: 1466 | Location: Your guess is as good as mine | Registered: January 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Pictured below is a 338 Edge on a Striker application. or 338 X 300RUM!

Though I shoot the 375 RUM, 338 X 378 Weatherby, 460 Weatherby X 510 some just do not get enough velocity to justify putting on a short barrel application. I can recommend all RUM cases but the Weatherby and WWeatherby improved cases can be beat with the RUM cases.

I can get 3000fps with the 235gr Barnes in the 375 RUM from a 19" Striker barrel. My pet load gets 2950 with the Edge and the 225gr Accubond. Yes it will go faster but this load is super accurate in both guns.

I am currently working lead bullet loads in my 458 Lott.

Unlike other small actions the Savage has a 3" extraction port. SO one can extract a 460 Weatherby spent case without taking the bolt out with the cutout RUM baffle designed for the longer cases.

Just depends what you want for a barrel length. These large cases waste a lot of powder out the end of the barrel of 17" and shorter barrels and the velocities can be equaled with say a WSM or 375 Ruger case. I am getting over 3400fps from a 300 RUM in a 19" factory barrel and the 165gr Accubond. SUper Accurate and hammers anything in its path.

Neal

Posts: 1586 | Location: Kodiak Alaska | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of dudley do right
posted Hide Post
Everything you shoot will hammer anything in the world Neal. I am suprised you don't have a twenty inch something that will shoot twenty miles by now. laugh happy
quote:
Originally posted by .358hammer:

Though I shoot the 375 RUM, 338 X 378 Weatherby, 460 Weatherby X 510 some just do not get enough velocity to justify putting on a short barrel application. I can recommend all RUM cases but the Weatherby and WWeatherby improved cases can be beat with the RUM cases.

I can get 3000fps with the 235gr Barnes in the 375 RUM from a 19" Striker barrel. My pet load gets 2950 with the Edge and the 225gr Accubond. Yes it will go faster but this load is super accurate in both guns.

Unlike other small actions the Savage has a 3" extraction port. SO one can extract a 460 Weatherby spent case without taking the bolt out with the cutout RUM baffle designed for the longer cases.

Just depends what you want for a barrel length. These large cases waste a lot of powder out the end of the barrel of 17" and shorter barrels and the velocities can be equaled with say a WSM or 375 Ruger case. I am getting over 3400fps from a 300 RUM in a 19" factory barrel and the 165gr Accubond. SUper Accurate and hammers anything in its path.

Neal

------------------------------
Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people then my gun has!

Life Member NRA
FBI Certified range instructor

Posts: 1302 | Location: sweet idaho | Registered: October 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
358hammer, so you are recommending a barrel lenght of 19"? Or what lenght would be appropriate for the 338 edge?

Bfr4570 that's a very sweet pistol!!!

358hammer, that's what I want my striker to look like once I'm done!! Very sweet pistol. Where did you send your stock off to for the dip job?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Everything you shoot will hammer anything in the world Neal. I am suprised you don't have a twenty inch something that will shoot twenty miles by now.

I do Mike!!

If it is the Edge or equavalent case capacity I would definitely run an 18" or 19" barrel before brake.

My dipper is Randy Hoff or R.A. Hoffer film dipping in Wisconsin. He dips all of Matthews stuff as well. If you are thinking of going this route I suggest you pour through the patterns at all the websites and even think of stuff by changing the bases coat.

Neal

Posts: 1586 | Location: Kodiak Alaska | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I was thinking of going with a desert tan color in the receiver and barrel with the stock in real tree ap or desert digital camo.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .358hammer:

Neal

Neal
How is the recoil with your edge?

Posts: 194 | Location: VA | Registered: November 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Without the brake it would most likely break both wrists.

With the brake used it is pure joy to shoot. To say I was a bit apprehensive pulling the trigger the first time in the video was un understatement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi8kwZw-h6A

Enjoy

Neal

posted Hide Post
Wow that 338 edge can still go faster that 3091?!?!?! That's sweet. I was looking at the 338 lapua magnum also. Will the 338 lapua magnum have an edge over the 338 edge, say in a 19" barrel? Just trying to get the biggest and the badest of the 338s.

Also, have you ever tried to dip your stocks yourself? I think i want to get the kit and try it myself.

posted Hide Post
338 Edge VS 338 Lapua or AX which is the improved version of the Lapua.

The improved version holds basically the same powder. SO one could presume that they are ballistically identical. Someone a while back did post that their Lapua with slower burning powder and a shorter barrel than mine got another 150 fps velocity more than the Edge! ??

The Edge is American. The design is American and the cases are made by Americans. The bolthead is readily available for the WSM and RUM casehead. If one goes the Lapua route then one will have to get Savage to cough up a Lapua bolthead which will only work for the Lapua case. Maybe the 378/460 Weatherby
let me measure and compare.

I have been painting for years with a hobby Airbrush so that isn't a problem. Self dipping looks simple enough when watching the videos. Think it may be a good way to make extra coin to support the hobby. I haven't taken the dipper plunge yet.

The biggest baddest 338 on the planet would start with the 338 X 378 S&S Rouge using 138 grains of powder driving a 235 grain lathe turned bullet at (really Fast) The final world in 338 that I remember anyway is the 338 X 408 Cheytac.
Neither of these I would recommend in a short barrel (20" or less) as this is how I ended up with an Edge. The Edge womps the 338 X 378 and Improved by a lot burning a lot less powder.

I use to know where there was a die set with an unused Edge barrel if you want it with all the fixings.

Neal

posted Hide Post
Send me an email with all the info on the 338 edge barrel with all the fixings. That will sure save me a lot of wait time. Thanks.

Just to be clear. 338 edge triumphs over the other 338s in shorter barrels, right? I really don't want to go over 19" with a 1" muzzle brake.

Picture of cannonball
posted Hide Post
What is the parent brass for the 338 Edge?

Posts: 758 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: January 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Parent for the edge is the 300 RUM.

Posts: 2752 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of cannonball
posted Hide Post
We have been having great luck using the 375 Ruger as base brass for a 338, 358 and 458. We call them all Baker rounds & so far have been having great luck with them. In rifle barrels .338's, we're getting 3150 fps with the 185 gr. Barnes TTSX, the .358 gives us 3200 fps with a 200 gr. Barnes TTSX, and the .458's an easy 2800 fps with the 300 gr. TTSX. The 338 has been getting us 2800 fps out of the 15" Encore handguns. All our guns use full bull barrels and no muzzle brakes. Recoil is very tollerable in both the handgun 338's and the 358 & 458 rifles. Accuracy is great (all an inch or less at 100 yd) and brass is easy & reasonable. Since Micigan has run out of elephants and rhinos & brown bears, none of our rounds have been used up to their potentials. All would be great rounds in the western U.S., Alaska or Africa. All should make great rounds for the Savage long action guns since the max diameter of the brass is .532" which is the same as 7mm & 300WinMag belts. The Encore frames have been holding up great and case life hasn't been any problem.

Posts: 758 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: January 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of welderdaehon
posted Hide Post
With the length of that round, would one be able to use the magazine on the Striker, or would it need to be single shot loading?

Posts: 69 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by welderdaehon:
With the length of that round, would one be able to use the magazine on the Striker, or would it need to be single shot loading?

The 308 family.

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post