Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revisiting the 143gr ELD-X bullets Login/Join 

posted
Got the XP back out to the range for further load development with the 143gr ELD-X bullets from Hornady. David Harrell spotted for me today and we enjoyed the weather, good conversation and burning some powder.

The cartridge for those not familiar was the 6.5x55 AI running Lapua brass, Reloder 22 powder and Federal 210 standard large rifle primers. Brass was virgin brass, sized and fireformed using the old "Cream of Wheat" method. This would be this round of brass' first actual firing with a bullet.

Our last outing showed outstanding promise with this load combo with room to go up on our loads. The last outing we were hovering in the low to mid 2500's on velocity from the 14" Lilja bbl. I laddered up the loads from our last outing running the same COAL as our last loads.

After forming the brass, I had to swab the bbl to remove any residue left from that. I didn't load any fouling loads to shoot for this range trip and was firing off a clean, cold bore.

Having laddered up the loads, we set up and got the chronograph and spotting scope set. My first group on this outing, was in earnest, better than I could've hoped for. The first round of the three was a cold bore/clean bore shot. As expected, she went a tad high and the second and third shot went in the same hole!

As stated, I was hoping to get this load in the 2600fps range. My initial group came in at an average of 2626fps, with an ES of 7 and SD of 4!! Needless to say, I'll be revisiting this load with a FOULED bore and tinker with my seating depth.

I'm in aggreance with David, I would've loved to have seen an earnest three shot group with this load with a fouled bore! Given an advertised G1 BC of .625, and the current MV of 2600+, she oughta make a good showing!

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
thumbup thumbup
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Great shooting!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see it in action in Wyoming

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:

I'll be running the entire steel shoot this year Ernie. As for prairie dogs, main goal is disrance, not numbers. Time to get a squeaker at 1k or better.

I'll be bringing enough spare ammo for you all to give her a whirl as well.

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Da-Law-Dawg:
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:

I'll be running the entire steel shoot this year Ernie. As for prairie dogs, main goal is disrance, not numbers. Time to get a squeaker at 1k or better.

Can't wait to see how you all handle the steel match this year...Look out guys, Jeremy is on the prowl.
1K pd shouldn't be an issue with this set-up.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of flyinlizard
posted Hide Post
Very nice shooting and it was good talking to you on the phone . Paul.

------------------------------
Arms are to short to box with God.

Posts: 321 | Location: Pleasant Valley NY | Registered: December 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of chas3stix
posted Hide Post
One of my shooting/hunting buddies has shot the smallest group he ever shot using the new Hornady 143gr. 6.5mm bullet in a 264 Win Mag.I can hardly wait for their 6.5 Creedmoor Precision Hunting factory round. I understand Hornady is also coming out with a Precision Hunting 300 RCM. This would hopefully work great in my HS 2000P SP.

---------------------------------
Patron/ Life NRA Member

Posts: 424 | Location: Henderson,Nevada | Registered: August 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post