Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long rang cartage ideas Login/Join 

posted
I’m looking to build a new long range pistol with a 16” barrel, and I’m thinking about building either a .243 A.I. or a 6.5 Creedmoor, or ?? any suggestion comments would be appreciated
P.S. I’m manly looking at punching paper at 600 yards

Posts: 22 | Location: Los Angeles CA | Registered: February 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
.260 Remington. Plenty of power, plenty of accuracy, plenty of load data, plenty of brass, dies, etc. There may be a better choice for 600 yards but I can't think of what it might be.

“The 30-06 is the world's most over-rated big game cartridge" - Elmer Keith

Posts: 987 | Location: Superstition Mountains | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Well I would say either one of those rounds would work. Of the two I would lean in the direction of the 6.5. First I think it is a very capable round and second I like all the bullet development that the 6.5's are receiving right now. The other round I would put in that group would be the 260. Good luck and let us know what you go with.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
That would be the 6.5/.284. Over 400 whitetais, 300+ groundhogs, and a bunch of African animals has proven it's worth, and then some.

Posts: 1856 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WV Hitman:
That would be the 6.5/.284. Over 400 whitetais, 300+ groundhogs, and a bunch of African animals has proven it's worth, and then some.

If it has a pulse, what doc said.
If the goal is to just punch holes in paper, take a hard look at the 6mm Dasher.
With Norma offering formed brass for the Dasher now it's an easy peasy choice2cents

-Mike

Posts: 2292 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
I don't see anything wrong with the to cartridges you chose, I have both and neither has let me down. I will say that when the 243 AI barrel goes down it will end up with a new 6mm Creedmoor barrel due to not having to fireform brass and ending up with about the same performance as the 243AI.

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You might consider something in .284 wide selection of bullets with high bc's. If you don't mind a little more recoil .

Posts: 107 | Location: Western Il | Registered: June 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
First, keep the barrel to 15". If you are going to limit yourself to 600 yards or less(possible mistake!) then 6BR, 6 Dasher, 6x47L, 243 Win, 243AI, 6.5xs47L, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Rem, 260AI. All good choices, mild recoil, and efficient cartridges.

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1507 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Not to inject a moment of reality, but I have a Striker 516 in 243 available if you just want to shoot. Its pretty ugly with a 18" McGowen bull barrel and custom cocobolo mid grip stock and target scope, but its deadly on lollipops at 100 yards, should you want an alternative?

Just saying.

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
First, build make the barrel to whatever length YOU want. I agree with 40xMike. Take a long look at the 6mm dasher. It'll darn near match bigger 6mm's in a short tube like you're planning on running. If I was going to do a 6.5 I'd look at the 6.5x47Lapua. If you're gonna hunt with it then the 6.5-284 would be sweet.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have read good things about the new Ruger precision rifle in 243 with the fast twist barrel. Shoots bullets up to 115 grain very accurate.

Posts: 3554 | Location: South Texas | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SlimL
posted Hide Post
243 AI can be a barrel burner. Only have about 1500 rounds through mine and the throat is starting to show some where. And I am not even running it very hot; about 2700 fps with 107 SMKs. Slim

------------------------------
"At The Level We Play At, Nothing's Cheap"
"It Ain't Got To Be Fancy To Shoot Long Range"
"So Many Powders & So Little Time"
"An Attack on One of Us is An Attack on Us All. Support Black Rifles & the 50 Cal"

Posts: 2969 | Location: Randle, WA, USA | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 7fingers
posted Hide Post
I have shot and competed with the 6XC the 6.5 and the 6x47 Lapua, the 6x47 is my favorite. You can push 105 hybrids at 2900 fps out of a 16 inch barrel and the accuracy is outstanding. If you check out my scores you will see that I routinely finish in the top 10 of the 1000 yard steal plate matches that I compete in which includes rifle shooters. These matches average over 100 competitors, it's not like a competition with only 20 shooters. All the calibers that you mentioned are good choices I just feel that the 6 x 47 Lapua has the advantage when all things are considered. (accuracy, velocity and bullet choices) As far as barrel length goes it has always been my opinion that 16 inches is maximum length for pistol. If you want to shoot a rifle length barrel put it in a rifle stock. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 7fingers,

Posts: 297 | Location: Ohio | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post