Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

XP100 in .350 Rem Mag Login/Join 

posted
Has anyone here had experience with an XP in .350 Rem Mag? 15" barrel. Not certain of twist yet, as it's not in my hands yet. I'll looking for good loads and even cast bullet loads if you have them.
Selmerfan

Posts: 197 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Not quite the same but I have a 35WSM. H4895 and a 225gr Accubond shoots great. Also shot Varget, IMR4895 and RL15. IMR was the fastest in my barrel. H4895 was the best accuracy.

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
There was a Cat out in California that had a 350-338 XP and shot a bunch of deer out on the islands off CA with it. This was a high $$ dude and saw the bulk of his posts on Handgun Hunter. I have had several 350 mag rifles and have never been super impressed. I shot a custom 356 Win Encore for years and it was my go to break action gun. I shot game wit it at close to 300 with confidence. It was a tack driving hammer. I shot 180 SSPBs in it also 180 hot cores with success. So this gets me to where I am now. I now have two rifles in 35 Whelen now and shoot 225 BTs out of it. These rifles shoot really well and they are super accurate.

So if I really wanted a 35 XP I would lean towards a 358 Win and shoot 180 -225 bullets.

The brass will be way less money and the belt will not give you fits.

Posts: 129 | Location: South LA | Registered: March 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You might also consider the .228 Federal. Lots of good bullets, good sectional density and ballistic coefficients. Ken Waters preferred the 338 over the 35 whether based on the '06 or '08 case. Elmer went to 33 after not getting the long range performance he wanted out of the 35 Whelen.

Posts: 23 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: October 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
A new guy in town walks into the LGS and asks where to get the best steak dinner. The old codger sitting by the pot bellied stove tells him he should order chicken instead. Then the clerk adds that he prefers seafood. The new guy shakes his head and walks across the street to the Walmart, where they tell him the best place is the diner one block over.

“The 30-06 is the world's most over-rated big game cartridge" - Elmer Keith

Posts: 987 | Location: Superstition Mountains | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I have only built one 350RM. I know the customer liked it. 358 bullets give a lot of options.

Test firing wasn’t bad. I can’t remember what brake was on it. But recoil wasn’t horrible.

I’d want a good stock tho to take the pounding.

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
A friend has an 15 in. Encore in 350 that shoots very well . Recoil was not bad at all with 200 ish grain bullets. A good brake would make it easier to shoot and more pleasant for extended shooting sessions.

Posts: 399 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
My center grip XP shot the 225 gr Seirra Boat tails well, don't remember the powder. It was unbraked when I got it and the original owner only shot 158 gr pistol bullets. I loaded it up with the heavier bullets and had to have a brake installed after the first shot without one. I re-barreled it to a 20VT after picking up a XP-100R from the custom shop. It came from the factory Magna ported and isn't bad to shoot. I've only shot factory Remington 200 gr ammo through it so far but it seems to like those. When I start reloading for it I will use the 225 gr Seirra's and 180gr Speers. I may also give the 225 gr partitions a try as they shoot very well in both my rifles. Only draw back is brass availability.

Rick

Posts: 3531 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I have plenty of 180 gr. Speer Hot Cors and a couple different good cast bullet molds for it.

Posts: 197 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitemann:

Only draw back is brass availability.

Rick

Not to stray too far OT but brass is pretty easy to form from any common belted case. I don't have it in an XP but my Remington 673 shoots like a varmint rifle with 225 grain Speer soft points and a middling load of IMR 4320.

------------------------------
I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 2157 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35isit
posted Hide Post
The late Dean Grua had one. Rear grip, open sights. With SR4759 and 225 bulk bullets was perfect score capable. With bigger bullets and slower powder was as accurate and probably a deer hammer. E. Ledbetter Dean's good friend had a center grip converted from a .35 Remington. Same results. I was privileged to shoot both.

Greg
Life Member NRA
7/27/2010 80x80

Posts: 1164 | Location: CENTRAL KY | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
At one of Deans shoots right at dusk he showed us the 2' blossom it created when shot. An awesome sight to see.

Albert
------------------------------
Life Member NRA
Navy Submarine Veteran

Posts: 10764 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post