Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just the boring old 308 Login/Join 

Picture of Hoggin
posted
308 win. Lilja 15” barrel. Opened bolt face and added a Borden sako extractor. Holland brake. Mcmillan stock. Bedded, true, trigger work, cerakote, and Egw HD base.

Defiantly not match ammo but it shows promise. Hornady light recoil 125 grain. Little left right in the group. The customer should be able to work up some high performance loads with this one!

Posts: 4013 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Left Hand Dave
posted Hide Post
Do you remember what Lilja barrel contour was used?

Thanks
Dave

Posts: 451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
No idea. The customer is on here. Maybe he will answer that.

Posts: 4013 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
That will work.
Nice Rig!

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12186 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Lilja barrel is 1:10 twist and an "XP-8" contour.

Lilja XP-8 Contour

Hope that helps.

-Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Left Hand Dave
posted Hide Post
Yes it does help thanks for the info. You have one very nice pistol there. I love to see these beautiful builds. There is just something about a well done specialty pistol.

Posts: 451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rig and a very useful caliber. thumbup thumbup

Posts: 947 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I can’t wait to see what it does with a longer bullet that won’t have so much jump.

For the first three down the tube it’s doing good tho happy

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
Very good looking gun!

Rusty
—————————
“Dyin ain’t much of a livin”
Josey Wales

Posts: 621 | Location: Center of the world Kentucky  | Registered: August 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Nice set up! Another great looking project!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Gator T/C
posted Hide Post
Great looking gun. The Cerakote really “finishes“ the build. I like it!

Brad

------------------------------
Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 7x47(SSK),308 Bellm, .338 SSK Woodswalker (2),358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.243,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA .22LR, .243
XP-700LA .25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper

Posts: 1244 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That is a slick rig.
I think a lot of people over look the 308 because it is to "vanilla".
I am down to one pistol barrel for my Encore and it is a 308. Factory barrel and I will say it is one of the best factory chambers I have had. It thrives on 150-165 bullets and Varget, same load I use in my rifle.
Hunting load is factory fodder. I had a box I had bought on sale, went and ran 10'rounds through it. Stopped and bought all they had, same lot number, 7-8 boxes.

Guys traveling on hunts, gun and ammo get seperated. Some calibers can be hard to find off the beaten path. Everyone knows what 308 is Wink, it just works.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!

Posts: 3030 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I like it. Well most of it! I'm sure it'll be effective on game or targets. But it'll always be a 308!!! Before anyone gets their undies in a bunch in just messing with the guy.

Aaron

Posts: 2755 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
There are a lot of the "vinalla" calibers that will take game and on realistic terms; are the same as the currently wrote about new "stuff". Same thing happened when the gun writers wrote about them. Nobody invented a new wheel; just put bling on it.

Nice rig and great job Chris.

This post should resurrect some of the the "dead". Big Grin
(Reading from other posts.)

Posts: 629 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Wow ……… looks great and shooting very nice groups right off the bat.

Posts: 468 | Location: Central east coast Florida.  | Registered: November 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
I like it. Well most of it! I'm sure it'll be effective on game or targets. But it'll always be a 308!!! Before anyone gets their undies in a bunch in just messing with the guy.

Aaron

I know exactly what you mean ....

I have a soft spot in my heart for the 308, going back almost 30 years to the first buck I ever killed. My experience also shows that the 308 just works for me and my use.

I tried, really tried, to come up with a reason to make it into something more exotic, but at the end of the day the plain old vanilla 308 won out.

I can't wait to get started with load development. I plan on starting with the Hornady 168 A-Max and either Varget or AR-Comp.

If I can get it to shoot anywhere near as well as the 6 Creedmoor Chris built for me I will be ecstatic.

-Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of blades
posted Hide Post
308 3006 too excellent work horses that ammo can be found everywhere. Kinda like the 3030 available everywhere. huge pill choices, plus cast pills as well. Nothing stateside that either can't handle with the proper load choice.

Posts: 529 | Location: WI | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sweet pistol! Good work, as always!

Posts: 5 | Location: Fredericksburg, TX | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blades:
308 3006 too excellent work horses that ammo can be found everywhere. Kinda like the 3030 available everywhere. huge pill choices, plus cast pills as well. Nothing stateside that either can't handle with the proper load choice.

Maybe if you exclude brown bear. Not that I don't think you CAN kill a brown bear with a medium sized 30. There are much better choices when a big coastal brown bear is the intended species.

Aaron

Posts: 2755 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the nice comments on the gun.
Chris does great work.

Aaron .... When I go chasing costal Browns I promise to build something exotic for the trip!

-Freeze

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Freeze,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freeze:
Thanks for all the nice comments on the gin.
Chris does great work.

Aaron .... When I go chasing costal Browns I promise to build something exotic for the trip!

-Freeze

Gonna hold you to that!

Aaron

posted Hide Post
Whats that beast weigh? Just curious.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
I don't have it yet, but the shipping label says 12.5# .... And that would include the hard case.

I will weigh it once delivered and post to this thread.

-Freeze

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I’d guess 7-7.5

posted Hide Post
Yep a 308 to be proud of. Chris made you a very good lookin one.

Posts: 767 | Location: Idaho | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
.308 ?? What were you thinking!!!
Just kidding great caliber and nice looking gun. Congrats Matt.
Derek. >>>~~~~~~~~>

Posts: 907 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Shoot it yet?

Aaron

posted Hide Post
Surprised no one has made a 300 Creedmore yet Roll Eyes
Matt

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
VHA LIFE MEMBER
IBS MEMBER

Posts: 633 | Location: Upstate South Carolina  | Registered: March 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 17VLD:
Matt

Done 22, 6, 25, 6.5 creed

posted Hide Post
quote:
Whats that beast weigh? Just curious.

Aaron

Aaron,
I didn't even think to weigh it before i mounted the scope, but I did weigh it today.

With EGW HD 20 MOA base, low Burris Signature 1" Rings, and a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 scope it tipped my meat scale at 6.70 pounds.

The scale is certainly not calibrated and certified but has always proven to be accurate.

I honestly thought it would be heavier, but am happy to be wrong!

-Freeze

posted Hide Post
quote:
Shoot it yet?

Aaron

A little bit, just to get through the break in.
Used some loads from past experience with the 308 and I think she will shoot well once I get serious about load development. Heck she shot my generic loads pretty darn well already, but don't really know what she can do yet since I only had access to a 50 yard range.

-Freeze

posted Hide Post
quote:
Matt

Wouldn't that just be the 30 TC, which has been around for about 10 years?
I am pretty sure the 30 TC is the parent case for the entire Creedmoor family.

-Freeze

posted Hide Post
quote:

Aaron,
I didn't even think to weigh it before i mounted the scope, but I did weigh it today.

With EGW HD 20 MOA base, low Burris Signature 1" Rings, and a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 scope it tipped my meat scale at 6.70 pounds.

The scale is certainly not calibrated and certified but has always proven to be accurate.

I honestly thought it would be heavier, but am happy to be wrong!

-Freeze

Thats pretty light. I'm surprised that its under 7.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
quote:

Thats pretty light. I'm surprised that its under 7.

Aaron

Me too!
I didn't make any attempt to hit a specific weight or even pay attention to components while gathering parts for the build, but I fully expected the gun to exceed 7 pounds once scoped.

It will probably gain a little weight if I end up with a rifle scope on it, but I need to shoot it more before I know if I will go in that direction.

-Freeze

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
308's work.
Nice Rig!
Shooting report???

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12186 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:
308's work.
Nice Rig!
Shooting report???

Weather here has been too bad for shooting, and even if the weather was better I've been busy trying to fill my remaining deer tags.

Hope to get to the range tomorrow to do some load testing.

I'll report back once I have some real data.

-Freeze

posted Hide Post
quote:
308's work.
Nice Rig!
Shooting report???

I tried the 168 A-Max with both Varget and AR-Comp.
It doesn't seem to shoot everything well, like the 6 Creed Chris built for me earlier this year, but it showed a clear preference for Varget.

It didn't take much work to settle on a load that will allow me to hunt with it next week (no hunting on Sunday in PA).

Here is my 100 yard Zero Validation target from the range today:

If the deer cooperate, and I do my part, I should have a field photo to add to this thread by next weekend.

-Freeze

posted Hide Post
That will work. Good job.

Posts: 468 | Location: Central east coast Florida.  | Registered: November 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Well.....if you miss it’s obviously not the guns fault Troll

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoggin:

Yeah, no doubt about that, any misses don't belong to the gun.

Another great reault Chris. I once again couldn't be happier.

I think I'll give it a whirl with a rifle scope once the season ends. If I can shoot a rifle scope with a full field of view then I will go in that direction.

-Freeze

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
308's work.
Nice Rig!
Shooting report???

I tried the 168 A-Max with both Varget and AR-Comp.
It doesn't seem to shoot everything well, like the 6 Creed Chris built for me earlier this year, but it showed a clear preference for Varget.

It didn't take much work to settle on a load that will allow me to hunt with it next week (no hunting on Sunday in PA).

Here is my 100 yard Zero Validation target from the range today:

If the deer cooperate, and I do my part, I should have a field photo to add to this thread by next weekend.

-Freeze

Excellent!

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
Very good shooting,the 308 is very versatile and fun on varmints too.Back when I was younger and shot rifles at varmints my 308 Varmint Special busted a few woodchucks with 125BTs,lots of carnage.Very good looking rig,the stock color is nice too,was that a group buy stock?Did the barrel channel need to be opened up for the Lilja,I believe as they come they are made to accept the Remington Sendero/Varmint contour.
Matt

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
VHA LIFE MEMBER
IBS MEMBER

Posts: 633 | Location: Upstate South Carolina  | Registered: March 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Very good shooting,the 308 is very versatile and fun on varmints too.Back when I was younger and shot rifles at varmints my 308 Varmint Special busted a few woodchucks with 125BTs,lots of carnage.Very good looking rig,the stock color is nice too,was that a group buy stock?Did the barrel channel need to be opened up for the Lilja,I believe as they come they are made to accept the Remington Sendero/Varmint contour.
Matt

The stock is from the group buy.
65% MED TAN, 25%- MED BROWN & 10%-WHITE

The barrel is actually a little smaller than the channel in the stock. I don't believe the channel needed opened at all.

I also have another build with a Brux #5 contour and it fit as well.

The Brux #5 contour is a little heavier than the Lilja XP-8 contour.

-Freeze

posted Hide Post
The Lilja looks like a perfect fit,and the colors work great in those percentages.
IMHO.
Matt

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
VHA LIFE MEMBER
IBS MEMBER

posted Hide Post
quote:
The Lilja looks like a perfect fit,and the colors work great in those percentages.
IMHO.
Matt

To me the barrel profile is just a little small to be a "perfect" fit to the stock, but I can certainly live with it!

-Freeze

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Freeze,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoggin:

I was out this morning and got my first opportunity (and a second) with the boring old .308.
I held up my end of the deal, and that boring old 308 just kept doing what it does.

Pretty boring is correct, absolutely no fanfare just ....... bang, flop (repeat as required).

Thanks again Chris!

-Freeze

posted Hide Post
Good job!!

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
Can't argue with the results , you made a great choice in the .308 !

Posts: 947 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa. Mike:

Thanks Mike.
I was confident in my choice, I have a striker in .308 also, but I am really happy now.

I just prefer the balance and trigger of the XP versus the Savage.

-Freeze

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pa. Mike:

Thanks Mike.
I was confident in my choice, I have a striker in .308 also, but I am really happy now.

I just prefer the balance and trigger of the XP versus the Savage.

-Freeze

I do like the balance better of the XP too.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
Congrats on the deer!

Aaron

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
thumbup thumbup

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 809 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Congrats on the deer! The 308 just plain works.

Posts: 767 | Location: Idaho | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post