Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I can see why...... Login/Join 

Picture of JDJTy
posted

Well I picked my first SP bolt action from a fellow member. I can see now and why everyone likes and customize them. Don't get me wrong I like my Contenders, but the Savage Striker just feels right. Chambered in 7mm-08; I already went to range for load development. Nothing major to post about that yet, been kinda windy here. Trying to shoot 139 grain hornady bullet. Overall I am extremely happy and wish I got into the bolt action pistols sooner. Thanks Historicfirearms! And your paint job is amazing, looks like it came from the factory that way.

---------------------------------
NRA Life Member
G2 Contender 6.5 JDJ Pistol
G2 Contender 375 JDJ Pistol

Posts: 469 | Location: Montana | Registered: February 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I know what you mean. I got a Striker 7-08 almost 2 years ago. Killed a doe with it last year, I had a 22-250 savage barrel cut and crowned installed it. Shot it this summer. What a blast. I have a 243 barrel I'm going to switch out this winter.its habit forming. Enjoy

Posts: 229 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: January 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
If you’re not dead-set about using 139’s, give the 120 gr Nosler BT’s a try with H4895. I’m sure you’d be more than pleased.

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1837 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
target ^^^^^^^^ what he said

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9430 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
139 Hornady spire points are very accurate over 34 gr IMR 4895 in my XP-100. It is my silhouette load.

Posts: 23 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: October 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
The 120 gr btips and varget won't disappoint either.

Posts: 3533 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of JDJTy
posted Hide Post
May try the 120s at some point. But I was kinda wanting an all around bullet for deer, elk, and bear. It's been too windy here to shoot. Hopefully Monday I can get back out.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 469 | Location: Montana | Registered: February 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
Accubonds are a far better choice for all the animals listed. They have the construction that will allow you to penetrate shoulders on bear and elk.

Posts: 1856 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I had 2 complete pass through on an adult cow elk st just under 150 yards with the 120 nosler bt out of the 7-30 waters. And killed a big mule deer at 325 yards with a complete pass through with the same load and gun.

That 120 BT is a great bullet! flag

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of JDJTy
posted Hide Post
I’ll have to try the 120 and AccuBond. Not having any luck so far with the 139 grain Hornady BTSP.

NRA Life Member