Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amateur hackery on a Savage stock Login/Join 

Picture of feets
posted
Larry (Tinkerer) came over today so I could turn some lovely Claro Walnut into smoke. He wanted the basic bits of the stock cut with a degree of accuracy and I'm got a Gorton Super Speed vertical mill that doubles as a one ton router. We knocked out the basics and he will finish the rest by hand.

I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to machining wood so I probably got the feeds and speeds wrong but the wood looks really nice. I can't wait to see it when he's done.

Here's a rough-n-dirty video of the work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XkQEtwxlCk

Posts: 726 | Location: Dallas | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Very cool thanks for sharing!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of blades
posted Hide Post
Vertical mill - best over arm router I have used. Mine are knee mills a Bridge port, a millport ( bp clone- old) and a Frankenport and an old #333 horz. mill
Over kill for wood working but fun.

Posts: 529 | Location: WI | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice start feets. Larry hope you keep us updated with pics as this one progresses. Used to be lots of Savage guys showing off their builds in here around 2010. Not sure if they are still around or not but I never see a post from them anymore. EugeneinNC comes to mind with that purple stocked Savage on a PTA sitting on his fuzz rest.

Posts: 1607 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
I am one of the lucky ones. I am a new and very proud owner of one of Larry's beautiful pistols. His wood work is amazing and he is very knowledgeable about these pistols. Feets, you are in for a treat.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Actually, its not Feets, but another member who has been waiting so patiently for me to fight my way through cancer and a heart attack while working on his stock. But progress is being made. I will post a pic or 2 of progress as its happens.

His Striker is awesome, and his will have my best work to date, with his design and my best workmanship.

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see them!

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Looking forward to seeing the finished product!!

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bitter24
posted Hide Post
Larry, looking forward to seeing my stock. Looking good! As I have said no rush, take care of your health before me stock! Hope your doing well.

-Bitter

Never back down

Posts: 42 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post