Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

XP-100 aquisition for project....maybe ? Login/Join 

posted
Ok Gents,

Since it's 25 below zero here this morning, yep that's -25, seems like a good day bond with the PC.

First post here, been lurking/reading for a while, enjoying every minute of it. Not new to XP's, have a handful in various calibers. Also, some pretty cool (IMHO) Contender set up's, in mostly obsolete cartridges.

Have the urge lately to build a couple XP's to specific ends. Picked up one, and have been watching for an XP beater, to use for the second project, which brings us to the point.

While stalking a gun show in early December, spied what a first looked like a 700 Rem barreled action, with a fairly short barrel, that's when the forward trigger caught my attention. Flipped it over and sure enough, XP-100, nice shape, price oh so attractive....but it was HUGE ! Big, long barrel, ported, and a caliber still not quite believable - - .358 Norma Mag.

As is turned out, the seller had rifle of interest too, so a deal was struck for the pair, and I paid for what I thought was a rifle, and a barreled XP-100 action. At the last second, he says: "Wait, I've got a junky stock under the table that goes with the XP", and he hands over what seems to be a very good stock, with a junky black paint job.

Later, the XP was assembled, and it became "The Beast", and what a beast it is. Why the seller did not have it in the stock (which is bedded quite nicely), is beyond reason, would think he could have gotten twice the money had it been all together as a complete pistol.

A bolt stop alteration was done, and an integral muzzle break, the work is well executed.

Am hoping to learn a few things from this story;
1) Hoping someone can identify the stock, and it's quality, so I can decide what alterations are feasible. Would like to trim up the grip, which seems huge, but not to the point of weakening the stock.
2) Who may have done the gunsmith work, based on some alterations, such as the bolt stop.
3) Arguments for keeping the .358 NM, instead of cannibalizing the gun for a project, or selling it and finding another "donor".
4) If anybody has an original Dogleg bolt they would part with for the next phase, have always liked the original bolts. Bolt face does not matter, unless too big, as I can do the alteration, and change the extractor to a Sako or AR style.

Am happy for all input, you guys have some serious XP's, and would love to hear your thoughts.

Johnnie

"The best way to die,....is to LIVE.

Posts: 11 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
A few more photos of the stock

Posts: 11 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Interesting find. Never seen a bolt stop like that before. I'm betting that you'll probably want more brake than those holes on top. While I don't have an xp in 358 Norma I do have one in 35WSM and it recoils a bit.

Aaron

Posts: 2752 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Johnnie, Nice find. I'm not certain on the stock but will take a wild stab -- Lee Six or Brown Precision - only a guess. Good luck on your XP journey.

Posts: 1008 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
I'm with Mark, I think it's a Lee Six that has had some alterations to the grip. They are good stocks. I actually like the bolt release, simple. You didn't mention the barrel length but if its long enough and the 358NM doesn't work out you could always have it cut back and rechambered to some other 35 cal or a complete rebarrel to something you want. Welcome to SP by the way.

Rick

Posts: 3523 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice find Johnnie. There are still good bargains to be had out there. If you are looking you will never find them, make a promise to your wife you are done buying and they fly out of the woodwork at you. I'm no expert but the stock looks Lee Six if I was guessing.

Posts: 1600 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Grendel99
posted Hide Post
That's a sweet find. Personally I'd think I would keep it mostly as is. Have you shot it yet? The 358 Norma seems pretty cool but would be a handful. Maybe a better brake? Perhaps have the integral brake part of the barrel cut off and have a good brake threaded on if there is enough barrel length? Though with that caliber it seems like you would want to have as much barrel length as possible. It would be a wicked hog and elk pistol!

Posts: 960 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: June 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
Interesting find. Never seen a bolt stop like that before. I'm betting that you'll probably want more brake than those holes on top. While I don't have an xp in 358 Norma I do have one in 35WSM and it recoils a bit.

Aaron

Aaron,

That's actually just one of two rows, sort of at "Ten & Two", like hands on a steering wheel.

Johnnie.

posted Hide Post
Guys,

Barrel is just shy of 16 1/4" to the bolt face, 1.000" at the muzzle, and 1.240" where it meets the receiver.

Have not shot this yet, been to cheap to invest in a box of shells, am hoping one of my shooting buddies will have a couple rounds lying around for a test.

posted Hide Post
Ain't many guys who would have that ammo!

Aaron

Posts: 2752 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your XP find and welcome to SP. Also somebody here on the forum had a couple of dogleg bolt handles for sale just the other day. No need to swap entire bolt when you can swap the bolt handle.

Posts: 2349 | Location: Illinois / USA | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
What a thumper!
Cool bolt release. Never saw one like that before.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12174 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Beast indeed. That will be a handful. Nice find!

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you could come up with a set of dies for a reasonable price, it looks like you could make brass cheaply and easily. That way you could control the power level, especially to see how effective the existing brake is. Then you wouldn't have to contend with full power loads right out of the box. Slap_Forehead Here is some info on case forming.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...358_NORMA_BRASS_FROM

Good luck with your new toy.

John

Posts: 1284 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: June 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Get a Holland Radial Baffle brake

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12174 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
I'm with Ernie get a Holland Brake and you will be golden! Nice find!!!! Welcome to SP!!!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Nice find and welcome to SP!
A unique SP for sure....would love to see video of recoil with it being **** as-is.

CW
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!

www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -

Posts: 1227 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Shaggy357
posted Hide Post
Trailboss and the RCBS 35 Rem cast bullet should be just the ticket for a hog hammer. I can almost smell the powder burning.....

Steve Smile
---------------------------------
"Life is a play before an audience of one. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"

Posts: 1933 | Location: Washington  | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:
What a thumper!

Am guessing a Thumper indeed, guess I'll have to dig up some rounds and pull the trigger.

That bolt release is very well thought out, and executed, will definitely replicate it on another XP.

Collectively, you guys are de-railing the concept that the "Beast" was getting tore down, then built into a 270WSM or similar, for a little Deer, Pronghorn, and Hog/Javelina shooting.

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnnie:
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:
What a thumper!

Am guessing a Thumper indeed, guess I'll have to dig up some rounds and pull the trigger.

That bolt release is very well thought out, and executed, will definitely replicate it on another XP.

Collectively, you guys are de-railing the concept that the "Beast" was getting tore down, then built into a 270WSM or similar, for a little Deer, Pronghorn, and Hog/Javelina shooting.

I just assumed you WANTED that cartridge real bad.
Myself, I would easily choose a number of cartridges over that for the critters you mention devil paperbag bolt

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
Nope. You should keep it as a 358 Norma! I love 35's though so......... I would put a different brake on it though. I've shot grouse to moose with my 35's.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
IF you had to you could have the lug pinned and have a switch barrel for a WSM. That would be acceptable too.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

I just assumed you WANTED that cartridge real bad.
:[/QUOTE]

NOPE, just a cheap XP to chop up......... ax2grind

But am enjoying the arguments for maintaining the gun "as is", it demonstrates the depth of the demented minds lingering here......my kind of place. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Well, what did you decide? Big Grin

Aaron

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
Well, what did you decide? Big Grin

Aaron

I wanna know too!

CW
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!

www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -

Posts: 1227 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hate to admit it, but you guys have got me talking to myself, have not decided at this point. Also, it was 36 below when I headed to work yesterday, and about the same this morning, so NO big desire to sit out at the range shooting.

Seriously, will police up some rounds and at least test the darn thing, then make an educated decision. If it turns out to be really cool, but not to taste, will take it to the Denver collectors show in May and put it on the table. There are two other XP's here that can be cannibalized for projects, a .221 Fireball, and a 7mm BR.

Whatever happens, will be duplicating that bolt stop, simple, very functional, and easy to do.

Johnnie.

posted Hide Post
A .358 and a centergrip.............Son, I hope you have wrists like young trees cause if you don't....well.....DON'T. ohboy

An analog guy in a digital world

Posts: 49 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
With a good brake, it is not a problem
I shoot 180's at 2930 fps out of my 7 Dakota (lighter weight center-grip for elk hunting) and it is not an issue.
I actually use a fairly light hold and I am also using a 6.5-20 Leupold Mark 4.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
I shoot a 35WSM in a centergrip. 225 accubonds at 2700fps.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
will be a handfull

Posts: 11 | Location: United States | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Does anyone here know where that bolt stop came from or is it a one of by a creative owner?

Posts: 1600 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Like it keep it 358 Norma
Yep Holland brake
Man what a thumper

Posts: 495 | Location: Maryland  | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post