Specialty Pistols
Striker Magnum Bolt Head

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/6730033486

September 14, 2016, 08:39 AM
Andy
Striker Magnum Bolt Head
I am looking for the correct bolt head to convert my Striker to a magnum.
The one I bought for a right hand 110, small firing pin, magnum, is far from an easy fit.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Andy
September 14, 2016, 10:59 AM
blueavenger
What seems to be the cause of your "not an easy fit"? Firing pin dia? cross Pin dia?
September 14, 2016, 01:04 PM
Andy
I'll post a picture later this evening.
Basically though, the length of the bolt head itself, not the entire unit, just the head is longer than the head on my standard ."473 bolt.
Also, the bolt head is going to need drilling for the firing pin.
The larger diameter of the firing pin, will not fit as it is now.
Thank you for any help or comments.
Andy
September 14, 2016, 09:41 PM
Andy
Here are the pictures of the two bolt heads.

The first pic is side by side, showing the bolt head difference, the right hand bolt head is the stock .473 bolt head.
The second shows the firing pin with the magnum bolt head, and the limit it will go into the bolt head.
The third picture is the .473 bolt head with the firing pin as it should fit.
Thanks for looking and your ideas and help.
Andy
September 16, 2016, 09:59 AM
blueavenger
Ahh..Long action bolt head. You need a short WSM head. OR.. You have this one shortened to match your short head stem length. Cross pins are in the same location. a different firing pin and cross pin will be needed. Id may be easier maching wise to find an older WSM bolt head if you can get your hands on one. Brownells and midway did not apear to have any in stock. Maybe gunparts?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: blueavenger,
September 16, 2016, 10:17 AM
blueavenger
Firing Pins & Bolt Faces
Over the last several years Savage has incorporated some design changes that need to be addressed in order to acquire the correct parts for your Savage rifle project.

For the last several years, Savage has used a smaller diameter firing pin on their magnum caliber rifles. The reason behind this is the bolt head retaining pin can use a small diameter through hole which makes it stronger. The standard caliber firing pin measures .145" in the area it would pass through the cross pin, the magnum pins are .095" in that area. Because the firing pin diameter is smaller, the cross pin hole is smaller. So is the the diameter of the hole through the bolt head.

Starting in 2001, Savage firing pin diameters were reduced on ALL models. Therefore, when ordering bolt heads it is important to know what diameter firing pin you have to work around.

On the WSM and UltraMag calibers, Savage changed to a controlled round feed bolt head in order to provide reliable feeding from the magazine. This bolt head differs from the rest by having the bottom lip cut away from the bolt face so that the cartridge rim can slide into the extractor instead of snapping over the extractor. Instead of a spring loaded ejector in the bolt face, this bolt head uses a standing ejector located at the rear of the receiver that pops up through a slot on the bottom left side of the bolt head to tip the case out. This is the only way to get the larger cases to feed from a magazine.
September 16, 2016, 10:33 AM
blueavenger
Sharp Shooter Supply may be able to help IF.. you can get ahold of them.
419-695-3179 There notaries for there lack of phone answering. Fred is a night owl , like noon to 3am and the wife answers the phone IF she is in the shop. EMAIL is better but sometimes still slow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: blueavenger,
September 16, 2016, 05:03 PM
Andy
Thank you Sir.
I was aware of the control round feed bolt head, but would prefer, in my uneducated wisdom a push feed.
Found a firing pin, and I am going to order one, seems like I need the retaining pin as well. Now that I know the reasoning behind the change, I can understand it.
I can alter the length of the bolt head stem easy enough.
And I did send an email to Sharp Shooter Supply. But hopefully I can take care of this now.
It's good to visualize light at the end of the tunnel.
Thanks again.
Andy
September 20, 2016, 12:34 PM
Andy
Short update. The firing pin from midway fits fine, now just need to shorten bolt head stem.
Thanks again, Andy
September 20, 2016, 10:28 PM
blueavenger
Cool