Specialty Pistols
This might be a stupid question, but. . .

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/6650079396

March 28, 2019, 07:01 PM
epoletna
This might be a stupid question, but. . .
In handling the XP-100, it seems really inconvenient to shoot with the hand on the same side as the bolt. By which I mean, since I shoot right handed, it seems to me I would be better off having the bolt and loading port on the left side.

How do you guys handle this -- you shoot with your righthand, transfer the pistol into your left hand, work the bolt and remove the empty/load a new round with the right, then transfer back into your left?

Or is there something I'm missing?
March 28, 2019, 07:02 PM
epoletna
I should have concluded: "then transfer back into your right?"
March 28, 2019, 07:52 PM
HotRodAl
Myself I just reach across with my left hand and operate the bolt. Simple for me.

Albert
------------------------------
Life Member NRA
Navy Submarine Veteran
March 28, 2019, 09:42 PM
Hoggin
Just run the bolt with your left hand
March 28, 2019, 11:18 PM
big10
Savage Striker Wink

thumbup Rod
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)
March 28, 2019, 11:50 PM
epoletna
I'll have to try using my left hand. Thanks for the tip.
March 29, 2019, 06:51 AM
EdK
I shoot with my left hand and work the bolt with the right. One of the benefits of being left handed Wink
March 29, 2019, 08:28 AM
Nor Cal Mikie
Just pick yourself up a "left hand" stock. The XP was made for left handers. Cool
March 29, 2019, 11:50 AM
epoletna
NorCalMikie:

I'm not understanding what you're saying. If the XP-100 is made for lefties, shouldn't the bolt be on the left side? Mine's on the right side, like all the others I've ever seen.
March 29, 2019, 02:28 PM
Nor Cal Mikie
Left hand stock lets you hold the pistol with your left hand and your "free" right hand works the bolt and feeds ammo. You are a lefty?? Perfect set up. Cool
Right hand stock has you swapping hands to work the bolt OR reaching across. Not the best of things to do.

I'am right handed and picked up a lefty "rifle" action to try shooting left handed. Mounted it in a right hand thumb hole BR type stock. Plugged the right side bolt handle cut and re cut it on the left side.
Right hand stays in the thumb hole for control and my free left hand feeds ammo, etc. Rather than "get use to" reaching across or swapping hands, why not set up the way it works best? Big Grin
March 29, 2019, 02:29 PM
Ernie
Functionally, with a XP-100 the right port/right bolt is essentially a left-action when it is a handgun.
Think about it...Hold the grip (like a lefty would) in your left hand and the bolt is on the correct side for you to run the bolt with your right hand.
No reaching over needed.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
March 29, 2019, 02:31 PM
Ernie
Watch the vid as I am goofing around at 300, 400, and 500 yards.
I am a lefty for what it's worth.
https://youtu.be/_OsZzAJ4LWk

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
March 29, 2019, 04:38 PM
Nor Cal Mikie
quote:
Think about it...Hold the grip (like a lefty would) in your left hand and the bolt is on the correct side for you to run the bolt with your right hand.
No reaching over needed.

What Ernie said. Perfect for a left hand shooter.

I DID have a couple of left hand laminated thumb hole stocks for the XP but figured it would be a looong time before I got to use them so they went down the road.

My "lefty" Savage Model 12 repeater action has been used for a SP but is now mounted in my BR rifle stock. That action has been a test bed for a BUNCH of different calibers.
My XP pistol got converted into a rifle when the "reach" to see thru the LER scope got to my shoulder. Still have hopes of building another SP.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nor Cal Mikie,
March 29, 2019, 06:12 PM
Rog (Buttermilk421)
quote:
Originally posted by epoletna:
In handling the XP-100, it seems really inconvenient to shoot with the hand on the same side as the bolt. By which I mean, since I shoot right handed, it seems to me I would be better off having the bolt and loading port on the left side.

How do you guys handle this -- you shoot with your righthand, transfer the pistol into your left hand, work the bolt and remove the empty/load a new round with the right, then transfer back into your left?

Or is there something I'm missing?

What you are missing is "being left handed"... Smile

So, you should switch to being left handed and the gun will be perfect. SmileSmileSmile

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

March 29, 2019, 06:28 PM
EdK
It's also one of the reasons why I like single action revolvers better than double!
March 29, 2019, 06:52 PM
KYODE
Kyle can use any scope with any eye relief.
Kyle has 2 xps.
Kyle is right handed
Kyle can operate an xp
Kyle likes everything
Kyle does not cry.

Be like Kyle

laugh crackhead

whine Razz bolt

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA
March 29, 2019, 08:25 PM
epoletna
Many thanks to everyone who responded to my original post. I had to thought about shooting left handed, mostly because I'm right-eye dominant (something I could probably continue to be even if I shoot a specialty pistol left handed) and I don't think I could squeeze the trigger as precisely with my left hand. But I will have to give that a try -- or learn to reach across the pistol with my left hand and operate the bolt and reload. Thanks.
March 29, 2019, 10:38 PM
Gary T
Epoletna, that's not a stupid question, at all. In fact, I've thought about posting it myself more than once. laugh I guess I'm confused which hand should be doing what. Confused On a prairie dog hunt where the shooting is rather deliberate I usually work the bolt w/ the left hand. OTOH (no pun intended), when deer hunting I swap hands so that I'm working the bolt and reloading w/ the right hand. This is partly because I wear an ammo band w/ spare loads on my left wrist while deer hunting. It just seemed awkward to wear the ammo band on the right hand. Although I'm right handed, I've also considered trying my left hand to shoot the XP.

Good luck and good hunting.
April 05, 2019, 04:06 PM
Rodent
Leave it in your right hand and work the bolt with your left. Easy. It is not that hard.

Mike

Piedmont Sportsman Club
IHMSA #27115
NRA #146349408
EMT-B
April 05, 2019, 05:20 PM
bowstryder
It's the same principle as a rifle........ seriously. You just hold an sp differently, which leads to speculation of why it's designed that way. Back in 196x they weren't thinking of that..... they went with what was already working. And it continued till they quit making xp-100's.
That being said, find out what works best for and roll with it.
April 05, 2019, 05:59 PM
RICHP
What bowstrider said. The pistol is likely going to move as you work the bolt and reload. Hold pistol with left hand and work bolt and load with right hand, if you are right handed. Reacquire target and repeat.
I tried the striker and found it awkward to work the bolt with my left hand.
Experiment, and see what works best for you.

---------------
love those .41 mags.
April 05, 2019, 06:30 PM
Nor Cal Mikie
quote:
find out what works best for and roll with it.

That pretty much says it all.
April 07, 2019, 06:39 PM
tgp
I've been practicing shooting right handed (I'm left handed) with my XP's and when using a bipod and rear bag I really haven't found any difficulty working the bolt with my right hand. Even when shooting left handed, after the shot I look up to get another round and put the empty back into the ammo box, actually having to relocate the target quickly is practice needed also.

Glenn

“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

April 09, 2019, 07:19 PM
chukeeee
I wanna be like Kyle when I grow up!

“Why are you axin’ me?”
-Lizzie Borden’s mother
April 09, 2019, 08:58 PM
KYODE
laugh thumbup

crackhead nuts happy

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA
April 09, 2019, 09:21 PM
magman
Kyle does whine alot. Big Grin

Tim

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

April 20, 2019, 03:03 PM
PRR1957
I'm right handed but my right eye was injured many moons ago, so I've been shooting long guns left handed long enough that I've became ambidextrous with hand guns. With bolt pistols if I'm bench shooting the gun, I my left hand working the trigger with my right hand working the bolt, but if I'm standing, my left hand grips the forearm with right hand working the trigger and blot.

Peter Resetz