Specialty Pistols
Dominator or Extender dedicated frame

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/6600046886

October 13, 2017, 01:57 PM
Andy
Dominator or Extender dedicated frame
A question for all of you 1911 gurus.
If you were building a dedicated frame for an Extender or Dominator, say a Rock Island 1911 frame, whose internals for the trigger group would you use, and why?
And Ernie, I noticed the frame on your Dominator has the standard 1911 grip safety and hammer, any bite with it set up that way, not a radious beavertail?
Thank you for your time and knowledge, Andy
October 13, 2017, 03:00 PM
Dekker
I have a Dominator and use a 70 series Colt frame with factory internals and never had a issue. I would ensure that the frame was steel and not a alloy (like on a lightweight commander).
You won't have any issue with hammer bite as the Dominator has a manually operated bolt, not a semi-automatic slide has if you were using a traditional upper.
October 13, 2017, 03:44 PM
Hoggin
you can use the rock island parts and since its not a semi anymore i generally get the triggers around 1 pound

you can actually use an aluminum frame with the dominator without issue.

since you have a safety on the bolt of the dominator we generally disable the grip safety.
October 13, 2017, 03:45 PM
Hoggin
and I fully recommend adding a brake.....these hurt with rifle loads without one
October 13, 2017, 05:19 PM
Dekker
quote:
Originally posted by Hoggin:

Pachmayr/Lyman recommends against using aluminum frames. Check -Important Notice- section.
Pachmayr Dominator Manual
October 13, 2017, 06:01 PM
Hoggin
quote:
Originally posted by Dekker:
quote:

Pachmayr/Lyman recommends against using aluminum frames. Check -Important Notice- section.
Pachmayr Dominator Manual

one has to take into account the age of that data...and the advances in the forging and casting industry....my dominator uses a aluminum frame without issue
October 13, 2017, 06:16 PM
Andy
Thanks all. I have an Extender with a 16" barrel in 250 Savage, and have a bare Rock Island frame from Sarco. Have a few parts, but was wondering where to go next.
A one pound trigger sounds great, but i know its beyond anything i could do.
October 13, 2017, 06:43 PM
Ernie
Andy,
No bite whatsoever.
With the brake, it is pretty soft shooting.
Have you found a Dominator top to go on your 1911 frame?

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
October 13, 2017, 07:34 PM
Hoggin
quote:
Originally posted by Andy:
Thanks all. I have an Extender with a 16" barrel in 250 Savage, and have a bare Rock Island frame from Sarco. Have a few parts, but was wondering where to go next.

That's why we have gunsmiths. Troll
October 13, 2017, 08:20 PM
Andy
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Andy:

That's why we have gunsmiths. Troll

I was afraid you would say that.
But I'll be sending you an email soon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Andy,