Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tripod Shelf when using your SP Login/Join 

posted
This is a simple shelf I’ve made to hold my ammo while I’m shooting or hunting. If I was doing a stalk type of hunt, I probably wouldn’t use it. However, when shooting sage rats or PD and you’re staying in one spot for a while, it works out great.

I got the idea from a person I saw painting a landscape and she had a much larger one attached to her tripod. It held her paints, brushes, coffee etc.

I shoot a 223 & a 20 VT so recoil is very mild and nothing has fallen off due to recoil. I have only used this in conjunction with a pig saddle so there is some recoil felt in the tripod. I made another rest which I haven’t tried out yet and it looks like the PSR that is no longer available. The shelf will probably work better with that rest since the SP is not connected directly to the tripod via the pig saddle.

If you Google “tripod shelf” you’ll find many commercially made ones.

Posts: 164 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great design. Congrats!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
That looks pretty slick!

Chris

Posts: 695 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawcarver
posted Hide Post
I use "stone bags" meant for camera tripods to hold binos ammo etc and they fold right up with the tripod. Might not be as handy as the shelf but very portable

Posts: 961 | Location: Howell MI | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
I like that. I would make it where I could set a Caldwell bag on it and rest the butt of the firearm on it for blind hunting. Very good idea.
Thanks

Mike

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McClura:
I like that. I would make it where I could set a Caldwell bag on it and rest the butt of the firearm on it for blind hunting. Very good idea.
Thanks

Mike

Mike, I think you are reading my mind. I was thinking with my Wgear claw bag on top of the tripod, the shelf could be made to sit low enough for a butt bag to sit on. This would be about perfect, kinda like the Bog PSR setup

Chris

Posts: 695 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Predator_huntin:
quote:
Originally posted by McClura:
Thanks

Mike

Mike, I think you are reading my mind. I was thinking with my Wgear claw bag on top of the tripod, the shelf could be made to sit low enough for a butt bag to sit on. This would be about perfect, kinda like the Bog PSR setup

I agree. I first started working on a prototype of that idea several months ago. Haven't finished it yet, but it looks promising. The depth of it would be adjustable for the thickness of your rear bag and length of rear grip. The support would be fastened to the tripod and the claw bag would just drop on top of it.

Below is a rough idea what it would look like.

This support would also work with a Hog/Pig Saddle, Triclawps etc.... Using the support with one of these may be the next best thing to the PSR that is no longer made.

Posts: 164 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post