Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Xp 100 rechamber Login/Join 

posted
I have a xp100 with a bond fluted heavy barrel in 7br. Thinking of rechambering it. First is it worth doing, second what would my caliber choices.

Thanks j

Posts: 526 | Location: Illinois  | Registered: September 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Depending on how heavy and barrel length you could easily do a 7-08, 284, 7 saum, 7 wsm, etc. You'll need to open the bolt on a few of these but no big deal. It all depends on how much more you wanting over the 7mm BR.

Rick

Posts: 3545 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
Back when Remington came out with the XP in 7BR, many was rechambered to 7mm International or 7-08 through IHMSA.

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3514 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
7-08 is prob the easiest one

Posts: 4016 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
A little more info would help with suggestions Wink
What is the end use going to be? Do you know what twist the barrel is?
And what is the round count and bore condition of the barrel?
All of the Bond XP's in 7BR I've seen had a fast enough twist to stabilize at least 168 Gr bullets. The 7 BR is usually pretty easy on barrels as long as they were cared for.
If you are planning on running a rifle scope on it, you'll want to put a brake on it too.
I'd have a smith scope the bore first before I went any farther with it. Why spend your $$$ to rechamber a worn out barrel? 2cents

-Mike

Posts: 2293 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 40xmike:
A little more info would help with suggestions Wink
What is the end use going to be? Do you know what twist the barrel is?
And what is the round count and bore condition of the barrel?
All of the Bond XP's in 7BR I've seen had a fast enough twist to stabilize at least 168 Gr bullets. The 7 BR is usually pretty easy on barrels as long as they were cared for.
If you are planning on running a rifle scope on it, you'll want to put a brake on it too.
I'd have a smith scope the bore first before I went any farther with it. Why spend your $$$ to rechamber a worn out barrel? 2cents

-Mike

Good points!

But to add some positive to the post Cool the throats is normally the first thing to go if the barrel is worn. All of the rechambers your looking at should cut that out. And always do a new crown.

A brake....who doesn't use those. end

Posts: 4016 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Bore is good, unknown twist. Barrel is already threaded and fluted. What is a normal cost to rechamber a xp and install a owner supplied brake.
I'm thinking 7mm08.

J.

Posts: 526 | Location: Illinois  | Registered: September 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
You could also go with the .284 Winchester, which will not require modification of the bolt face.. I would expect to pay $100-$120 for a quality rechambering job.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3512 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
think ACKLEY as long as your doing it. brass life and bit of speed.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Kasson MN | Registered: August 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ackley is something to think about,

J

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4570 hunter,

posted Hide Post
284 Shehane?

Posts: 5 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: January 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
The barrel contour at the chamber area on this particular XP won't allow a rechamber to the bigger/longer calibers. It now resides in AZ where it will happily remain a 7BR.

Rick

Posts: 3545 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post