Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New build and what are your opinions Login/Join 

posted
I bought a used 700 lr 25-06 and now I'm thinking about using the action for a rear grip sp. I think I can put it in a pistolstock as long as the finished barrel length is 16" including the muzzle break? Am I correct and would you do it also thinking about re barreling in 6.5-284. Are there any other "better" calibers y'all would recommend? This is going to be a target shooter but may be used for the occasional deer hunt. Thanks

Posts: 102 | Location: Lindale, tx  | Registered: September 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
I think the barrel must be over 16" and the total length to be 26"or more.
I have an 18"[plus brake] 25-06AI xp100 and really like it, also have a 257 wby rifle in a cooper mod 52 that i have never shot. Just like .25 cals.

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 804 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
So I wonder if I can have it 16 1/2" to the end of the brake? And does anybody else do this with a rifle and turn it in to a "handgun"?

Posts: 102 | Location: Lindale, tx  | Registered: September 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
Yes, others have done this. I would make the barrel 16.25 then add the brake if it were me. If left up to the officer his take on the regs might be different from the next guy. He may or may not include the brake in the bbl length, if it is removable.

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 804 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
A brake can be included in the overall length if it is pinned and/or welded so it cannot be removed.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big10:
A brake can be included in the overall length if it is pinned and/or welded so it cannot be removed.
Its now "pinned AND welded". Not sure when the interpretation was changed but now it must be both...

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19880 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If the brake is removeable the barrel must be 16 in. long without brake and the total gun 26 inches.I would go 16 1/4 on the barrel just incase. The safest way is to get an undesignated action and go from there. And although they for the most part, do one hell of a job that I couldn't do . Not all officers are gun enthusiast, nor can they keep up on all the laws. Why chance it?

A 6.5 Swede ,260 , or .284 would be nice and give longer barrel life than the 6.5 284 happy

Posts: 399 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a used 700 lr 25-06

I may be wrong but pretty sure if its already been registered as rifle you cannot use the action to make into a pistol. You would have to buy an action only that has never been designated as a rifle to build as a pistol. You may be able to complete a lot of paper work and money to get the action from the 25-06 rifle okayed with ATF.

2cents

Rick

Posts: 3533 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
As long as the barrel length is 16" and the OAL is 26.5" it can be shot without a buttstock attached. While some would "call it" a pistol, its actually a buttstockless rifle. This is perfectly legal unlike shouldering a pistol with an arm brace.

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19880 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I talked to Michael at nine run gun who is going to be doing my work. And I think I'm going to look for a XP 100 and just send it to him instead of using the rifle. But just curious how do I get a 700 virgin action that hasn't been registered

posted Hide Post
Michael should be able to order you one, Rem is selling them now and are pretty easy to get.

Posts: 950 | Location: waycross,ga | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
You can buy a Remington 700 action from Brownells or Midwest Gun Works. Midwest recently advertised a 700 single shot short action with a .308 bolt face for I believe $450.00 but they sold out in two days. I believe they will have more in the future.

Posts: 944 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
There are several places selling actions in the box either Remington or Savage. Only about 7 weeks left before the Black Friday sales and the last couple of years Brownell's has had some good sales on actions. Of course they are sold out quickly. Save the box and its a quick way of proof how the action was sold originally. Kind of been eyeballing the SS Single shot Rem action. Unlimited stock options and easy to pin a Jewell to it.

Posts: 1609 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post