Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

twist rate for 6x45 Login/Join 

posted
Im down to ordering a barrel for a xp100 remage.Will a 1-8 twist work for 70gr and up bullets?The place im thinking of ordering from offers Wilson barrels in 1-9 and 1-8.The 1-9 barrels are smaller diameter,but the heavier one I would rather have is only offered in 1-8.Is the 1-8 too fast?6x45 17 in bbl Thank you

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sharkyf9,

Posts: 98 | Location: upper east tennessee | Registered: January 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My 6x45 is 1/14 twist
I only use 65 gr Bullets
I thought 1/8 twist for for over 100gr bullets
DAN

Posts: 743 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan,looks like a 1-9 would be too fast

Posts: 98 | Location: upper east tennessee | Registered: January 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mine is a 1-8
Currently shooting 70s but plan to go to 85s

Posts: 129 | Location: South LA | Registered: March 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
H2obug,is accuracy good?Any bullet problems?6x45 also?

Thanks

No Longer a Member of SP

posted Hide Post
I've had several 6mm-.223s with 1:8, and it's the only twist I'd even consider anymore. They shot everything from stubby, light varmint bullets to longer, streamlined projectiles with fantastic accuracy.

Within reason and a couple notable exceptions, you can't overstablize a projectile, but you can certainly understabilize one.

Posts: 4730 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Bobby.I ordered the heavier 1-8 bbl today.Now the LONg wait.This is a Specialty pistol site pistol,Ive used a lot of advice getting the parts and got parts from different members.Thanks to all

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharkyf9:
H2obug,is accuracy good?Any bullet problems?6x45 also?

Thanks

I have not shot it enough to say just loaded the 70's and they shoot fine. Only has about 20 rounds thru it. Waiting for the hurricanes to stop and it cool down.

Posts: 129 | Location: South LA | Registered: March 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
IMHO, there isn't enough boiler plant to push heavy bullets. I would say about 80 grain about max, and a 10 twist will do great. And not over spin anything lighter.

Posts: 17 | Location: East Coast | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
Sierra data shows a max of 2200 fps with a 100-grain bullet out of a 14” Contender in 6 TCU. A true 6-223 would in theory be slightly slower, but 3” of extra barrel would make up for that and more.

Bullet weight depends on what type of shooting the OP wants. The 1:8 twist would not overstabilize light bullets which were designed to be shot up to 1000 fps faster in 1:9” or 1:10” .243 WCF or .240 Weatherby rifle barrels. My Ruger .243 with its 1:9” barrel shoots 55-grain Noslers at 4000 fps with fine accuracy. The 1:8” barrel the OP has ordered will do just fine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LoneStar,

“The 30-06 is the world's most over-rated big game cartridge" - Elmer Keith

Posts: 987 | Location: Superstition Mountains | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post