Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New build, custom XP in 6.5-284 Login/Join 

posted
Last couple of months have had me snowed under. My schedule at my "day job" has seen me working 6-9 days in a row. With that, the last month, I've been down to one day off per week. We've been short staffed and work has been piling up in the shop. After a final reprieve, I got to knock out several projects in my shop on a four day off stretch this last week.

This is the first of several projects I'll be highlighting for the good people here. We've got everything from custom Contender bbls and work, to revolver work and several XP's currently in house.

On to our latest customer build, we built a full-bore custom in 6.5-284. Here's the specs......

Trued action and bolt
Nosler/Lawton bolt stop install
Scope mount and screws opened up to 8-40
Bartlein 8 twist, finished at 17" plus the Muscle Brake
Finished in Tungsten Cerakote

Stock, customer supplied us with a Royal Arms laminate in Imperial Laminate color. The stock was a 90% inlet from the factory.

Stock work as follows, add both front and rear pillars. Next was completing the inlet, insuring the bbl was floated from the lug to the tip of the forend. We installed a bipod stud and bedded the action in Marine-Tex as with all my builds. Lastly, the stock was sanded out and shot with Hi-Gloss poly and buffed out.

Weight of the rig, minus glass, came in about 6#. Rigged with glass and bipod, she's still fairly light and won't wear you down to carry her. Below are pics of the build.......

Bolt stop install......

A look at the forward pillar......

After stock finish and bedding and coating........

We got her to the range for test fire, we were running 130 Berger handloads. As with all my testing, she was fired off the bipod using a rear wedge bag from the bench.

At the range......

I visually boresighted the scope and fired our first round, the sighter went high and a tad right. After a quick adjustment, I fired an earnest three-shot string to check her out. My handi-work on the rig paid off in spades, we were rewarded with a ragged hole at 100 yards. Extreme spread on the group was .445" for the three shots, take the bullet diameter of .264" out and she netted an earnest .181" group, center to center. Test fire was a success and load development is D......U........N!

Needless to say, I texted the pic to the customer and he was tickled pink with the results.........

Stay tuned for further, we've got more coming up to highlight here in the near future!

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That's one beautiful xp ! Very nicely done my friend. !!!!! And shoots as good as she looks !!!!!

Posts: 52 | Location: New Madrid MO.63869 | Registered: January 27, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Very good!!! thumbup
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Gator T/C
posted Hide Post
Nice job and a great looking Xp! Bolt release looks really nice. Took all the fun out of load development! Do you "load" the bipod forward or backward?

Brad

------------------------------
Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 7x47(SSK),308 Bellm, .338 SSK Woodswalker (2),358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.243,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA .22LR, .243
XP-700LA .25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper

Posts: 1244 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gator T/C:
Nice job and a great looking Xp! Bolt release looks really nice. Took all the fun out of load development! Do you "load" the bipod forward or backward?

Brad

Thanks Brad. As for loading the bipod, I shoot the XP'S under free recoil. I keep even and steady pressure on the rear wedge, but otherwise let the gun do it's thing.

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Jeremy,
Nicely done thumbup

-Mike

Posts: 2292 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Sweet build!

thumbup Rod
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Really nice! What a shooter!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of captain John
posted Hide Post
Very nice, looks as good as it shoots ! Excellent job thanks for posting

IHMSA Industry Director
IHMSA Region 5 Director
Minnesota State IHMSA Director
IHMSA 39199Life
NRA life Member

Posts: 416 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Da-Law-Dawg, what contour is the barrel please?

Posts: 950 | Location: waycross,ga | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Another beauty you brought into the world Jeremy. Great pics, the front pillar really caught my eye. This is one of the few pictures of a build using one of Norm's stocks that have appeared on this forum. Considering what he charges for them and the ultra quick turn around time they are a real bargain.

Posts: 1612 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
ga, the bbl was a Bartlien rifle blank, #3 "B" light bull sporter. I shortened the shank a bit to blend the lines of the receiver and the stock.

"Another beauty you brought into the world Jeremy. Great pics, the front pillar really caught my eye. This is one of the few pictures of a build using one of Norm's stocks that have appeared on this forum. Considering what he charges for them and the ultra quick turn around time they are a real bargain."

Thanks John! I agree with you. For the cost and lead time, they are great stocks. Inlet is decent and they finish well. On the pillars, I turned a 3/8" pillar with a 1/2" boss, recessed for the 1/4-28 bolt. The rear pillar is recessed in the inlet provided from the factory. I turned a shouldered pillar that slide into the rear inlet and used a 10-32 machine screw to hold the rear of the action, far better than the smaller factory, oddball threaded screw. The front pillar was bedded at the same time the action was bedded.

I have another one of Norm's stocks in house for another build, and another one on the way.

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
Beautiful build!! Big Grin

Glenn

“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
Awesome job! I want one!

Posts: 945 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
"Purty" and good shooting.....tough combo to beat! thumbup But I really feel sorry for the owner of the gun......I mean if he tries any load development, he's gonna have a HARD time finding a more accurate load than that one!! Eek

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1674 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
Like the Ga. Sixgunner , I also like that barrel contour. Would you be able to tell me what that contour would measure at a 15 inch length?

Posts: 945 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa. Mike:
Like the Ga. Sixgunner , I also like that barrel contour. Would you be able to tell me what that contour would measure at a 15 inch length?

Can't recall off hand what it measured right at the brake. I'll check the stub off the front end and get back to ya.

posted Hide Post
Owner has her on hand, he mic'd the bbl. At a 15" finished length, you're looking at about .830" +/-.

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
Thanks , that's close to what I am looking for. Approx. how much of the shank did you remove to get that profile?

posted Hide Post
I think it was 1 to 1 1/2" off the shank

posted Hide Post
Just want to give a big thanks to Ridge Runner Custom Gunworks, jermery worked with me on this build , I asked a ton of questions and and alot of gunsmith would have got tired of all the questions but not jermery, he was very professional and kind, I would highly recommend him to anyone, this is my first xp , and what a treat it is , ( always shot contenders ) my first trip to range she shot 5/8" to 3/4" groups at 100 yards time and time again, still getting used to her , I ran her out to 200 yards and she turned 1 1/4" 3 shot group's for me With a avg velocity of 2760 , trying to figure out how to post pictures, thanks guys , And stay tune we have a 338 RCM he's building for me now !!! I think I'm hooked !!!!!

Posts: 52 | Location: New Madrid MO.63869 | Registered: January 27, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Coopertop sent me some pics of groups he was printing with the new build. Granted, this is his first XP, but I think he's a quick study!!

A good 100 yard group he turned out!

Chrono'd results.....

Shooting good for him at 200 as well!

Here's a pic of 10 rounds clustered up at 100 yards for him!

Lastly, another fine group he hammered out at 100!

Tickles me pink seeing her shooting like this for him!