Specialty Pistols
New build, custom XP in 6.5-284

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/6330006286

April 18, 2016, 11:59 PM
Da-Law-Dawg
New build, custom XP in 6.5-284
Last couple of months have had me snowed under. My schedule at my "day job" has seen me working 6-9 days in a row. With that, the last month, I've been down to one day off per week. We've been short staffed and work has been piling up in the shop. After a final reprieve, I got to knock out several projects in my shop on a four day off stretch this last week.

This is the first of several projects I'll be highlighting for the good people here. We've got everything from custom Contender bbls and work, to revolver work and several XP's currently in house.

On to our latest customer build, we built a full-bore custom in 6.5-284. Here's the specs......

Trued action and bolt
Nosler/Lawton bolt stop install
Scope mount and screws opened up to 8-40
Bartlein 8 twist, finished at 17" plus the Muscle Brake
Finished in Tungsten Cerakote

Stock, customer supplied us with a Royal Arms laminate in Imperial Laminate color. The stock was a 90% inlet from the factory.

Stock work as follows, add both front and rear pillars. Next was completing the inlet, insuring the bbl was floated from the lug to the tip of the forend. We installed a bipod stud and bedded the action in Marine-Tex as with all my builds. Lastly, the stock was sanded out and shot with Hi-Gloss poly and buffed out.

Weight of the rig, minus glass, came in about 6#. Rigged with glass and bipod, she's still fairly light and won't wear you down to carry her. Below are pics of the build.......

Bolt stop install......

A look at the forward pillar......

After stock finish and bedding and coating........

We got her to the range for test fire, we were running 130 Berger handloads. As with all my testing, she was fired off the bipod using a rear wedge bag from the bench.

At the range......

I visually boresighted the scope and fired our first round, the sighter went high and a tad right. After a quick adjustment, I fired an earnest three-shot string to check her out. My handi-work on the rig paid off in spades, we were rewarded with a ragged hole at 100 yards. Extreme spread on the group was .445" for the three shots, take the bullet diameter of .264" out and she netted an earnest .181" group, center to center. Test fire was a success and load development is D......U........N!

Needless to say, I texted the pic to the customer and he was tickled pink with the results.........

Stay tuned for further, we've got more coming up to highlight here in the near future!
April 19, 2016, 12:44 AM
Coppertop2621
That's one beautiful xp ! Very nicely done my friend. !!!!! And shoots as good as she looks !!!!!
April 19, 2016, 12:50 AM
nmhunter
Very good!!! thumbup
Nmhunter
April 19, 2016, 05:03 AM
Gator T/C
Nice job and a great looking Xp! Bolt release looks really nice. Took all the fun out of load development! Do you "load" the bipod forward or backward?

Brad

------------------------------
Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 7x47(SSK),308 Bellm, .338 SSK Woodswalker (2),358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.243,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA .22LR, .243
XP-700LA .25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper
April 19, 2016, 07:20 AM
Da-Law-Dawg
quote:
Originally posted by Gator T/C:
Nice job and a great looking Xp! Bolt release looks really nice. Took all the fun out of load development! Do you "load" the bipod forward or backward?

Brad

Thanks Brad. As for loading the bipod, I shoot the XP'S under free recoil. I keep even and steady pressure on the rear wedge, but otherwise let the gun do it's thing.
April 19, 2016, 08:32 AM
40xmike
Jeremy,
Nicely done thumbup

-Mike
April 19, 2016, 10:31 AM
big10
Sweet build!

thumbup Rod
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)
April 19, 2016, 10:53 AM
Leupold Man
Really nice! What a shooter!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member
April 19, 2016, 12:01 PM
captain John
Very nice, looks as good as it shoots ! Excellent job thanks for posting

IHMSA Industry Director
IHMSA Region 5 Director
Minnesota State IHMSA Director
IHMSA 39199Life
NRA life Member
April 19, 2016, 04:38 PM
ga sixgunner
Da-Law-Dawg, what contour is the barrel please?
April 19, 2016, 05:05 PM
Iowa Fox
Another beauty you brought into the world Jeremy. Great pics, the front pillar really caught my eye. This is one of the few pictures of a build using one of Norm's stocks that have appeared on this forum. Considering what he charges for them and the ultra quick turn around time they are a real bargain.
April 19, 2016, 05:39 PM
Da-Law-Dawg
ga, the bbl was a Bartlien rifle blank, #3 "B" light bull sporter. I shortened the shank a bit to blend the lines of the receiver and the stock.

"Another beauty you brought into the world Jeremy. Great pics, the front pillar really caught my eye. This is one of the few pictures of a build using one of Norm's stocks that have appeared on this forum. Considering what he charges for them and the ultra quick turn around time they are a real bargain."

Thanks John! I agree with you. For the cost and lead time, they are great stocks. Inlet is decent and they finish well. On the pillars, I turned a 3/8" pillar with a 1/2" boss, recessed for the 1/4-28 bolt. The rear pillar is recessed in the inlet provided from the factory. I turned a shouldered pillar that slide into the rear inlet and used a 10-32 machine screw to hold the rear of the action, far better than the smaller factory, oddball threaded screw. The front pillar was bedded at the same time the action was bedded.

I have another one of Norm's stocks in house for another build, and another one on the way.
April 19, 2016, 05:49 PM
tgp
Beautiful build!! Big Grin

Glenn

“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

April 19, 2016, 07:52 PM
Pa. Mike
Awesome job! I want one!
April 19, 2016, 11:34 PM
Gary T
"Purty" and good shooting.....tough combo to beat! thumbup But I really feel sorry for the owner of the gun......I mean if he tries any load development, he's gonna have a HARD time finding a more accurate load than that one!! Eek

Good luck and good hunting.
April 20, 2016, 07:54 PM
Pa. Mike
Like the Ga. Sixgunner , I also like that barrel contour. Would you be able to tell me what that contour would measure at a 15 inch length?
April 21, 2016, 07:12 AM
Da-Law-Dawg
quote:
Originally posted by Pa. Mike:
Like the Ga. Sixgunner , I also like that barrel contour. Would you be able to tell me what that contour would measure at a 15 inch length?

Can't recall off hand what it measured right at the brake. I'll check the stub off the front end and get back to ya.
April 21, 2016, 03:40 PM
Da-Law-Dawg
Owner has her on hand, he mic'd the bbl. At a 15" finished length, you're looking at about .830" +/-.
April 21, 2016, 07:17 PM
Pa. Mike
Thanks , that's close to what I am looking for. Approx. how much of the shank did you remove to get that profile?
April 21, 2016, 07:19 PM
Da-Law-Dawg
I think it was 1 to 1 1/2" off the shank
April 21, 2016, 08:02 PM
Coppertop2621
Just want to give a big thanks to Ridge Runner Custom Gunworks, jermery worked with me on this build , I asked a ton of questions and and alot of gunsmith would have got tired of all the questions but not jermery, he was very professional and kind, I would highly recommend him to anyone, this is my first xp , and what a treat it is , ( always shot contenders ) my first trip to range she shot 5/8" to 3/4" groups at 100 yards time and time again, still getting used to her , I ran her out to 200 yards and she turned 1 1/4" 3 shot group's for me With a avg velocity of 2760 , trying to figure out how to post pictures, thanks guys , And stay tune we have a 338 RCM he's building for me now !!! I think I'm hooked !!!!!
April 23, 2016, 04:59 PM
Da-Law-Dawg
Coopertop sent me some pics of groups he was printing with the new build. Granted, this is his first XP, but I think he's a quick study!!

A good 100 yard group he turned out!

Chrono'd results.....

Shooting good for him at 200 as well!

Here's a pic of 10 rounds clustered up at 100 yards for him!

Lastly, another fine group he hammered out at 100!

Tickles me pink seeing her shooting like this for him!