Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Next SP Login/Join 

posted
So, i already have a decent Striker that I've got in 30-06 single load configuration right now. It shoots ok but I can't get past the horrible gen 1 striker trigger. doesn't matter what i try in terms of springs, polish or shims, i can't get it any cleaner or lighter. I've come to accept this as a good 200yd and under deer pistol, it'll do 4" or less out to 200 just fine. So, I'd like to get into another SP that really takes the cake. I'm thinking that i need to find a rear grip XP and run with that. I'll single feed it and suppress it, so maybe a 6.5x47, 284 Win or maybe a BR caliber? Is the rear grip XP a good route because of the rifle trigger and standard remington accessories? I want to be able to out shoot my heavy barrel 284 savage, might be asking too much.

Posts: 110 | Location: Marthasville, Missouri | Registered: February 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What do you want to do with this xp? For a hunting rig I like the centergrips for bench shooting I prefer the rear grips. I really like having a jewell trigger on my rear grip xp's. How far do you want to shoot?

Aaron

Posts: 2758 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
well, i'd like something i can hunt with, i hunt in missouri often and they have a special handgun season in december. I like the idea of a long range rig but most shooting would be at 200 or less. The deer are big, hence the 6.5 or 7mm. The can is a SiCO omega, about 8" long, so if i could do a barrel at 12-14", maybe a nice varmint taper, that would probably be perfect. what rifle calibers can get decent at that length barrel? My striker is a center grip, so i wouldn't be opposed to another, but only if the trigger on an XP can be properly tuned to a decent 3lbs or so.

Posts: 110 | Location: Marthasville, Missouri | Registered: February 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
XP triggers are in a different league compared to savages. And there are a couple aftermarket triggers that are MUCH lighter, in the 2-6oz range. 14" is a good length IMO for what you're looking at. The 6.5x47L does well in shorter tubes.

Aaron

Posts: 2758 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
thats good to know. whats the word on XP's in BR calibers? anybody have one? are they good for the range i'm looking at? I think I may want to go 7mm BR. sounds fun

posted Hide Post
Solid advice from Aaron there.

A "decent" factory XP trigger will be light years ahead of what you have now. My 6.5x55 AI XP is a factory trigger that breaks clean at somewhere around 1.5#. Throw a Dell trigger in one, then you essentially have a centergrip trigger akin to a Jewel varmit trigger.

In a 6.5, Aaron gave another solid, the 6.5x47L. Many guys are running a 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 as well. In a 7mm, factory loads or handloads, a 7-08 is a great cartridge.

Bbl wise, 14-15" will easily suffice.

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
thanks for the advice. my stiker currently has a 16.5" 30-06 takeoff barrel that was cut down and braked, it shoots ok enough for what it is and my SP experience level. It also has a 243 ss takeoff also cut down to 16.5". I have another 260 so i kinda want something different. Maybe that 6.5x47 would be nice...

posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the 7-08 or 284 either. Heck, you could even get it done with a plain, boring, 308 Big Grin I'm finishing up my 284 build. Hopefully I can get it done this weekend.

Aaron

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

You musta meant to say "magnificent. 308" ... Troll

Alaskan,
I've got a boring 13" 308 Win rear grip with a shillen trigger set at 2lbs. Complete pass-thru on a large whitetail buck at 180 yards and complete pass-thru on three (yes 3) hogs (one sow and 2 shoats) with one shot at 100 yards. Shooting 168gr Barnes X. There are MANY flatter and faster rounds available but for 500 yards and under, some of the boring chambering will work as well. Cool

CW
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!

www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -

Posts: 1227 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well.......

He did say different.... Smile

How 'bout a 6.5x55 AI?

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of bowstryder
posted Hide Post
Aaron you just had to say .30late didn't you. Lol!
Keep in mind with the Dell trigger in a xp you won't have a safety which (in my opinion) is not the best route for hunting. But they are phenomenal triggers for a center grip. Which, like Aaron, I prefer for a hunting stock. The factory triggers will suit you fine. The br calibers are fantastic little buggers and I may try one in the white tail woods someday but there again I prefer something with just a bit more oomph. Jmo

Posts: 445 | Location: waynesboro, va | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well, if you want to go rear grip, I'll make it easy for you.

I have a Savage Model 12 (stainless) accutriiger at about 2# with a 17" 284 Win barrel from McGowen in a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock made into a handgun, scoped, ready to go. Ross radial brake, and bipod.

I am thinning the herd due to health issues. It has had about 40 rounds through it.

I'll ship in hard case and through in about 400 rounds of ammo and dies.

Contact me at safetypro10atmsndotcom for a deal.

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ishot a nice 6point buck at almost 200 yards with my 7br xp some years ago. The 139 hornady zipped thru both lungs. I found that deer about 300 long steps away. I do not know how he made it that far. I could not find any damage to the heart, but a good blood trail led to him. I don't remember the velocity, but it would have been high for caliber.

Posts: 3978 | Location: home | Registered: November 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
You have so many options when you have a max hunting range under 300 yards.
Yes, Even the 3-O-Late (3-O-Wait), I mean 308 will work just fine Troll

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12191 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like you need a 6.5 Creedmoor.... Should work well in a 14-15" bbl.

It would be a good choice for 300 and under plus still reach out there if the time comes.

As far as triggers go on the XP-100, I've adjusted my factory trigger to 24 ounces (1.5#). Very crisp and clean.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1593 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5 Creed, 260 Rem, 7-08, and 308 will easily suffice
6.5-284 and 284 Win, just give you more punch/less drop/less wind drift...But it is not needed in this situation, but sometimes desired Big Grin

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12191 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Da-Law-Dawg:
Well.......

He did say different.... Smile

How 'bout a 6.5x55 AI?

SHINEY!-!-!-!-!-

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1515 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
wow, so many ways to go. I grew up shooting a 243 and 25-06 for deer, so i'm not too concerned about being under gunned. I like the 308 idea for simplicity, but almost want to get away for the sheer sake of having something different. the creedmores sound better every day as the system responds to greater demand for those calibers. Would i be better off finding an undesignated 700 short action and building or finding an XP and having a new barrel put on?

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
The only reservation of using the virgin 700 action will be limited stock options.

CW

www.codyweiser.com

Posts: 1227 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 86alaskan:
wow, so many ways to go. I grew up shooting a 243 and 25-06 for deer, so i'm not too concerned about being under gunned. I like the 308 idea for simplicity, but almost want to get away for the sheer sake of having something different. the creedmores sound better every day as the system responds to greater demand for those calibers. Would i be better off finding an undesignated 700 short action and building or finding an XP and having a new barrel put on?

I would use a XP action.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ernie,

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I grew up shooting a 243 and 25-06 for deer, so i'm not too concerned about being under gunned. I like the 308 idea for simplicity, but almost want to get away for the sheer sake of having something different...
For "different", I've a 15" .300 Savage, which in a bolt gun equals .308 performance. Whatever you choose, bullet performance is paramount. Too low of an impact velocity may mean minimal expansion, which means less lethality. For your 'large deer', consider bullet weight, construction and impact speed when making a choice. Choosing to be "under gunned" is foolish, especially when starting from scratch.

“The 30-06 is the world's most over-rated big game cartridge" - Elmer Keith

Posts: 998 | Location: Superstition Mountains | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoneStar:
[QUOTE]... Choosing to be "under gunned" is foolish, especially when starting from scratch.

I have to respectfully disagree LoneStar. I feel that shot placement is paramount and many rounds and much more capable than they are given credit for. My grandfather hunted game all the way up to deer for years as you man with a 22 short because that's all he had. He always told me that it taught him how and WHERE to shoot because he was hunting to eat.

CW

www.codyweiser.com

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Didn't see if you reloaded your ammo, if you do, then any of what is listed would work just fine. If you don't want to reload I would lean to the 308 win. Ammo is available everywhere
Just my 2cents
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
yes i reload, that's why I'm willing for the different approach. As for undergunned. I am experienced deer hunter in the woods of Missouri and would not feel that way even with the mentioned .22. I am aware of my firearms limitations and adjust accordingly. I'm thinking 6.5 something because the market is flooded with components and it'll make it easier to find loading parts. I'm in the process of rebuilding a 25-06 and it's a PITA to find good brass, and even harder to find good high BC bullets. I've also found most of the xp100's that are factory are either 35rem or 221 fireball. Why is that? was the fireball supposed to be the next big thing and just not catch???

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
The XP-100 from the factory came originally in 221FB begining in 1964 and then the 7mmBR followed by several others (223 Rem, 7-08 Rem, 35Rem) but all on the same two bolt faces. Many of the SP built for the larger bolt faces have custom bolts and or bolts that have been opened up to accommodate the larger case heads.

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1585 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Let us know what you decide to go with cartridge wise.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
So, it seems like an xp would take me back about 7-800, that's basically a stock fireball. then I'd need a new barrel put on, new stock, scope, rings trigger. Supposing I go rear grip, how hard is it to do a undesignated 700 action into an SP? I like the left bolt left port so i can maintain my grip and control. Can you get a single shot left hand 700 action? I'd do the 6.5x47 or 6.5x55 for sure, now what to build it with.

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, it seems like an xp would take me back about 7-800, that's basically a stock fireball. then I'd need a new barrel put on, new stock, scope, rings trigger. Supposing I go rear grip, how hard is it to do a undesignated 700 action into an SP? I like the left bolt left port so i can maintain my grip and control. Can you get a single shot left hand 700 action? I'd do the 6.5x47 or 6.5x55 for sure, now what to build it with.

You can get into a Fireball cheaper than that.
A custom action that will work with the XP trigger linkage (Center-grip) will be costly.
Rear grip would be much easier.
I prefer center for hunting and rear for bench work myself.
You can't get a single shot left hand 700, but you can put in a single shot follower.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:
quote:

You can get into a Fireball cheaper than that.
A custom action that will work with the XP trigger linkage (Center-grip) will be costly.
Rear grip would be much easier.
I prefer center for hunting and rear for bench work myself.
You can't get a single shot left hand 700, but you can put in a single shot follower.

A custom lefty single shot probably be had from the likes of Stiller, Kebly, Defiance. Check them out. Way better receivers than Remy's but pricier and worth it.

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1515 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post